What Are We Missing?

David TTU

What's keeping us from, over the next 2-3 years, becoming one of the leagues elite teams? Let's start with what we know: we know receiver is not our problem. We know (assume) that over the next few years that QB won't be a problem. RB appears not to be a problem. The left side of the O-line, while gaining experience, won't be a problem. The linebacking corps certainly isn't a problem.

That leaves the secondary and the D-line, by far the weakest link(s) of the Atlanta Falcons, imo. Are we in agreement on this? If not, what do my fellow TATF members (extended family) think is the weakest part of the team? What needs to be done about it....more importantly, what can we do? It's a young (team) but at least we know that we have something to look forward to.

OTHER THOUGHTS/MUSINGS:

-I hope Turner really turns out to be as good as he's looked thus far. What a coup that would be.

-Biermann (sp?) seems like he can apparently be the real deal. Go scouting dept!!

-Same goes for Grimes, but he's gotta hold onto the balls he gets his hands on (that's a ridiculous sentence, I know)

-****, JA sucks so bad. He just doesn't care. What a wasted pick. I would empty my online poker accts to redo that pick and take Cromartie

-Harrington looks like the best QB on the team right now (flame away)

-Bad second game by Ryan, but we need not fret; simply working out the kinks, he's a rookie

-Michael Boley, please don't be hurt, you're so good. Please stay here. For a long time. Seriously. Please

-Lofton is DeMeco Ryans 2.0

-Chris Houston, I've been talking you up for two years now, please start playing seriously

-UGA:24 TTU:45 :)

I agree that d-line and secondary are not a quick fix.

And they happen to be some of the hardest positions to fill....

yeah.....I haven't seen enough of DeCoud to get my hopes up or down, but I like Erik Coleman. Hopefully Grimes turns out to be good. I guess, all and all, we're talented, just soooo young and inexperienced

yeah.....I haven't seen enough of DeCoud to get my hopes up or down, but I like Erik Coleman. Hopefully Grimes turns out to be good. I guess, all and all, we're talented, just soooo young and inexperienced

And I'm afraid that the inexperience will show itself during the season.

If the defense gives up 2 or 3 TDs then Turner and the running goes goes right out the window and the QB has to win the game.... and we don't look like a come from behind team.

Offensively, if healthy, we're good enough to be a contender (assuming we have average QB play). With better talent around him, Harrington may be able to get the job done but we don't have that here. I do think he would make a very good backup. To turn this ship around quickly though, we need a "gunslinger" and I believe Ryan is that guy. He's going to lose us some games on his own but he'll win much more.

Defensively, we've got problems and it all starts with the front 4. Without Abraham, we arguably have the worst D-line in the league. Grady helps a lot but he's not an everydown player. Abraham is a stiff breeze away from another injury and I'm almost ready to give up on Anderson - not there yet, but close. If Abraham goes down, our secondary is going to get torched. We have to get another DE and two new DTS, then we'll be tough. Our LBs are the strength of the team and the secondary is only going to get better.

Special teams - awesome punter and kicker. Punt returners have been pathetic. I'd like to have a bad *** gunner. I thought James was gonna be that guy before he was injured.

-UGA:24 TTU:45

Ha ha ha.... I like your high hopes for TT. As for your question, LDE is our weakest position as of right now. I'll let JA have half a season with Hamilton before I give you my opinion of him. He always seems to almost make a play, but is always a step behind. Everywhere else appears to be serviceable at this time.

Offensively, if healthy, we're good enough to be a contender (assuming we have average QB play). With better talent around him, Harrington may be able to get the job done but we don't have that here. I do think he would make a very good backup. To turn this ship around quickly though, we need a "gunslinger" and I believe Ryan is that guy. He's going to lose us some games on his own but he'll win much more.

Defensively, we've got problems and it all starts with the front 4. Without Abraham, we arguably have the worst D-line in the league. Grady helps a lot but he's not an everydown player. Abraham is a stiff breeze away from another injury and I'm almost ready to give up on Anderson - not there yet, but close. If Abraham goes down, our secondary is going to get torched. We have to get another DE and two new DTS, then we'll be tough. Our LBs are the strength of the team and the secondary is only going to get better.

Special teams - awesome punter and kicker. Punt returners have been pathetic. I'd like to have a bad *** gunner. I thought James was gonna be that guy before he was injured.

Punt returners have been terrible indeed. Jennings is atrocious. The Front 4 are terrible. Abraham, when healthy, is one of the best in the league at that position, but we all know that he certainly can't be counted on because of the injury problems. JA is not worth talking about. Perhaps we'll be able to move Briermann there after he packs on maybe 15lbs. Maybe.

I agree 100%. Unfortunately it's looking like NO John Abraham means NO pass rush.

Just the thought of the secondary biting on a play action fake terrifies me....

I agree 100%. Unfortunately it's looking like NO John Abraham means NO pass rush.

Just the thought of the secondary biting on a play action fake terrifies me....

likewise.....Milloy, granted I love the guy, can't catch up to anyone. And Grimes, as good as he may end up being, is tiny. He and Houston might end up being the smallest corner duo in the league. Imagine the Roy Williams/Calvin Johnson matchup. I do however have hopes for C. Jackson. I like his size.

you know better than to put harringtons name anywhere near a starting position. the guy will do nothing positive for the team with exception of cheering. REDMAN IS THE BEST QB ON THE TEAM RIGHT NOW!! I guess if anderson doesn't give you guys a sack in EVERY game he's a bust. give me a break. <_<

I would have said Oline in the past...but so far this preseason they have looked the best they have in years. Now I know thats not saying much, but at least its an improvement. I would say ANYTHING on defense!!!! We look like **** overall. Every snap i think someone is going to take it to the house on us. It always seems to be a miracle if we get a 3 and out. DT,DB, until we get better in those positions we won't be winning anything.

D-Line....Specifically LDE........ If we can find a stud to play this position.... We will have a top 15 Defense.... If the FO can find a (consistent) rush LDE....That would make our whole secondary improve......... In cover 2 Defense the QB will need time back there to pick your team apart(they cant go deep and the CB will have the inside position)..... If the QB does not that have time....They will force it and thats when pickoffs happen.........

Im going to lay it out there....... If TD sign 6'3 305lbs Tank Johnson(pass rush DT...also playin in the 3-4 D has help his run stopping game) and draft either George Selvie or Michael Johnson(1st round) next offseason..... Our front 4 could generate pressure consistently

I'd like to see more defensive line help. We'll have to see how the offensive line does, but so far the signs are at least encouraging.

If we could get a top tier defensive line, our defense would improve exponentially. I would think that that would be the focus next year.

Direwolf