Julius Peppers

Would anyone here be against making a run at him?

He will no doubt be the top FA next year after 4 double digit sack seasons in 6 years, if Carolina choose not to resign him... I know he goes missing some weeks, but his record at LDE is second to none among current players...

No one here has speculated, so i thought id atleast throw it out there...

Maybe draft a NT, slide Jamal Anderson inside to UT and have Abe and Julius stalking the QB... Its good to dream :D

I guess if we were in contention it would be a popular acquisition, but atleast we would still get pressure if Abe went down...

if we were in contention

Exactly. If we were a borderline team with a need at either DE, then I would be absolutely gung-ho for it. However I think that we need to develop our young guys, and leave ourselves some cap room. At his age and with our core, i think it would be a perfect match in 3-4 years (minus his age).

Would anyone here be against making a run at him?

He will no doubt be the top FA next year after 4 double digit sack seasons in 6 years, if Carolina choose not to resign him... I know he goes missing some weeks, but his record at LDE is second to none among current players...

No one here has speculated, so i thought id atleast throw it out there...

Maybe draft a NT, slide Jamal Anderson inside to UT and have Abe and Julius stalking the QB... Its good to dream :D

I guess if we were in contention it would be a popular acquisition, but atleast we would still get pressure if Abe went down...

I personally would much rather make a run at T Suggs.

We have Abe. If his contract is up and we swap one for the other maybe, but trying to keep them both would be a bad idea for any team.

We have bigger needs. I would rather get a stud RT or a stud DT.

He had a crap year last year, so let's see what he does this year.

yes. he will get overpaid just like the cream of the FA crop always does. if he has a good year this year then we can kiss that idea goodbye, no offense. it happens every year and more often than not paying a guy based off of either A. A contract year performance or B. past performance before having a down year or two... turns out to be a very bad investment, especially since they always get tons of money. peppers could be a good addition, but he will command a large price and may not ultimately be worth it and we will be on the hook for a lot of money for limited production.

let the panthers or some other unlucky team throw all their money at him. it would be nice to get an upgrade at LE if jamaal doesnt start playing better, but i just dont consider it an option.

not trying to rain on the parade, but signing stud FA's like peppers for high cap #'s just doesnt seem like TD's style. wouldnt you agree?

No thanks. Let's build thru the draft. Peppers is a great player, but by the time we'd be in serious contention, he'd probably be in decline.

exactly, build through the draft. thats what TD is supposed to be (and seems to be) good at, so lets put that to good use. and hopefully jamaal kicks his a** into gear and solidifies that position for us so we dont have to worry so much about it. thats best case at least.

****, he might be in decline already. i wouldnt be surprised to see him have a great year this year and get PAID and then see his numbers start to dip in the following years. good luck to whoever pays him for that, i just hope its not us!