BUY AMERICAN THREAD:

New Balance is a good example. They make quality shoes and most are made in the USA. Many of the manufacturing materials are imported, but they try to use as many US produced materials as possible. Of course, the apparel industry is dominated by imports right now, which didn't use to be the case not so many years ago.

What are some other examples of good US made products in foreign dominated industries that you know of?

I think more people would purchase them if they knew they were out there, or at least were reminded that they were out there.

I'm sure this will spark a debate, but I've always had excellent service out of the Chevrolet and Ford vehicles I've owned.

And I'll cosign on the New Balance-best shoes I've ever owned.

I'm a do-it-yourself guy as I restored my own '72 Monte Carlo and I'm in the middle of remodeling my house so I'll name some of the stuff I have experience with:

When I rebuilt the old car, I learned very quickly to stay away from the Mexican made **** for replacement parts you get from the box stores (AutoZone, etc). Often the were the wrong specs, and made from cheap componets. Take the time to find DELCO or Motorcraft parts if you are working with Chevy's and Fords. These parts were enginereered correctly and built stronger. I have noticed that a few DELCO parts- not all are made in CANADA though...Craftsman still builds nice tools too, all have a lifetime warranty.

I mentioned that I'm in the middle of remodeling my house. I'm sad to say that when it comes to fixtures (lights, fans) you will have a hard time finding American made items. This is a shame because most of it is made in China and for the most part, it's been crap in my experience. Fans with not enough screws, and lights that don't work come to mind....Just yesterday, I hung an bathroom vanity that had screws holes that were stripped out from the factory.

I have never understood the "Buy American" idea when it comes to cars. An expense as great as a car, you must buy the best, and unfortunately the Big 3 haven't kept up with the Germans and the Japanese.

As for other items, such as a pair of shoes or electronics, I would tend to lean towards buying American goods.

If I found out that Obama or McCain wore Italian suits or a Swiss watch, I wouldn't be upset. In the growing world economy, sometimes foreign goods are cheaper and more readily available than domestic.

I have never understood the "Buy American" idea when it comes to cars. An expense as great as a car, you must buy the best, and unfortunately the Big 3 haven't kept up with the Germans and the Japanese.

Is that why 2 GM models grabed two of the top 3 spots in over all quality recently? Keep this in mind, GM and Ford have traditionally built a **** of a lot more cars than the Japanese ever had to. Now that brands like Toyota have grabed a bigger share of the market and have had to expand on quanity you have seen their over all quality slip from where it was.

Not a Ford fan at all. I myself am a GMC fan. I have an 08 Impala (wife's), an 08 Denali XL, and a 2001 GMC Sierra ( junk truck).

as for american, I buy ONLY American seafood and Seeing how Shrimp is some of my fav. I only buy Wild Caught Carolina Shrimp.....

I have owned Toyota, and Honda, and they ran well, but so have all of my other vehicles. I take care of my cars, and that is really what it is all about.

Cheap cars are cheaply built.

OH yeah I second the USA OE parts for a restore. I restored a 1964 Chevy SS Impala, and it was only quality (name-brand parts for me)

Ironically enough, when you "buy American", you're actually hurting American business more than you're helping it. The whole point of the free market is that competition brings us the best products at the best price. Competition encourages creativity and innovation, improving the products of the firms involved. When you purchase inferior products simply because they're American, you're taking away the market incentives for the firms that produce those products to innovate and improve. Because no firm can survive in the global market simply on a market of customer "buying American", such a stagnation in innovation will ultimately hurt the firm's global competitiveness.

Of course, none of this has to do with buying American products which are superior, of which there are plenty...

Ironically enough, when you "buy American", you're actually hurting American business more than you're helping it. The whole point of the free market is that competition brings us the best products at the best price. Competition encourages creativity and innovation, improving the products of the firms involved. When you purchase inferior products simply because they're American, you're taking away the market incentives for the firms that produce those products to innovate and improve. Because no firm can survive in the global market simply on a market of customer "buying American", such a stagnation in innovation will ultimately hurt the firm's global competitiveness.

Of course, none of this has to do with buying American products which are superior, of which there are plenty...

I meant items that posters consider to be of comparable quality, or superior, or a better value.

Not trying to start anything, but have you ever owned a German car? At various times (and still do in some cases), I have owned a Super Beetle, A Jetta GLI 16V, BMW M3, and a BMW 550. Other than the Super Beetle, these cars are not reliable! I had to learn my lesson the hard way and learn to LEASE the high end Germans. Nice to drive, but after the thrill is gone and the repair bills start coming........................watch out!!! Most reliable vehicles I've had, all Ford trucks!

As for other items, such as a pair of shoes or electronics, I would tend to lean towards buying American goods.

If I found out that Obama or McCain wore Italian suits or a Swiss watch, I wouldn't be upset. In the growing world economy, sometimes foreign goods are cheaper and more readily available than domestic.

We live in a globalized environment. It doesn't really matter if you buy a Toyota or a Sony product. You're still contributing and helping the US economy. Even if you buy an "American" product, most companies will invest money oversees and/or have employees benefiting from your purchase oversees.

Just buy the best product for the best price.

We live in a globalized environment. It doesn't really matter if you buy a Toyota or a Sony product. You're still contributing and helping the US economy. Even if you buy an "American" product, most companies will invest money oversees and/or have employees benefiting from your purchase oversees.

Just buy the best product for the best price.

I think that if you buy an American made product, you will help our economy the most. It really does matter where the product was assembled, engineered, designed and how it was transported to your doorstep. If we buy a foreign product, a greater part of our money is exported.

A side benefit of the rising price of fuel is that some manufacturing jobs will return to our own soil. I have never been a rah-rah type of flag-waver, but we have to look very carefully where we put our money. It seems like our greatest export has become money.

Are Apple Computers domestic?