Jamal Anderson was a McKay draft

Jedi-Falcon

statick,

These guys are trying to claim today that Roddy White showed all this promise, but the fact is they were the same ones screaming "BUST" his first and second years. In 16 starts, Roddy didn't have a single TD catch his second year in the NFL, yet all we hear is about how much promise he was showing.

Roddy was awful his first year, he was absolutely awful. All Anderson has played is one year.

They know Anderson is a bust just as much as they knew Roddy was a bust. They never learn, they just keep doing the same thing each year in calling players busts prematurely.

I know. Alot of fans tend to express their frustrations out of their ***.

I used to have the same frustrations with Roddy before he finally woke up and the NFL game "clicked" for him. It sucks to be Anderson. Being a high draft pick preceding one of the worst years in Falcons history (see Petrino, Vick, 4-12, etc.) and being compared to that other Texans DE is going to be especially hard for him.

I just hope the NFL game eventually "clicks" for him, too....and soon.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It's too early to give up on him but it's not too early to send him to the bench. There are a ton of young players that don't see starting jobs for several years. Players that actually have to show something in practice and limited game action in order to earn a job. The only reason Anderson continues to start is because he started last year. Last year we had a GM and coaching staff who made Anderson their pick, came out on draft day and said that Anderson was selected to be the starter to replace Kerney. So Anderson started 16 games eventhough he never once showed he deserved to. Now he's still the starter just because he was last year. Don't expect that to continue. If he keeps getting outplayed by Beirmann and Davis then he'll lose that starting job. Word is that Smith got onto Anderson about finishing plays Saturday.

Correct. The coach is aware there is a problem, the broadcasters are aware there is a problem, anybody who watched him last year and these two preseason games knows there is a problem. I can't fathom how people can deny that there is a problem with Jamal Anderson. The guy is not making plays. Not because of bad coaching but lack of physical skills. I want him to live up to his high draft status and was excited to see him play this year but I have been bitterly disappointed. You cannot continue to start him over other players who, right now, are better than he is. I have no idea how Arthur Blank restrains himself from firing McKay when he sees Anderson play and remembers that McKay never worked this guy out before drafting him.

i paid alot of attention on Jam at the game on saturday...he had great punch at the line but it was all upper body strength....as soon as the ball is snapped, this guy is like my wang at the playboy mansion - he seriously needs to develop more speed and moves at the line, and for god's sake stay low

I've been watching these impatient message board alarmists overreact year in and year out and they just never learn.

Anderson had pathetic coaching last year, I will give him until mid season to see how he does in his pass rishing, he's already shown flashes in run defense. Of course, the panic stricken "I want what I want when I want it and I want it right now" crowd will point to Anderson not tackling a TE and claim that proves he can't stop the run. How typical.

I argued tooth and nail with some about giving Roddy more time , Roddy showed just as few flashes his rookie year and Anderson showed his rookie year, Roddy started showing flashes his SECOND YEAR. We have some here comparing the flashes Roddy showed his second year to Andersons 2 preseason games where he's not even played the entire game.

Our fans never learn from their mistakes. They jump to conclusions, panic, attack, make false comparisons and do anything to avoid facing the truth.....sometimes you have to give a player a little more than his rookie year to know what you got. All J Anderson has played so far is his rookie year and some snaps of preseason his second year.

TAKE YOUR PANIC ATTACK MEDS AND LET THE PROFESSIONALS RUN THE TEAM

Ding Ding Ding.....................tell him what he has won Johnny!!!

Correct. The coach is aware there is a problem, the broadcasters are aware there is a problem, anybody who watched him last year and these two preseason games knows there is a problem. I can't fathom how people can deny that there is a problem with Jamal Anderson.

You are distorting the argument here sparky. The discussion is not whether he is concerning us, or if he is productive enough right now, the question is whether or not he is a "bust" or in other words has no chance of ever being a good player. (you do know what a "bust: is, right sparky? )

To further illustrate the point, Roddy White was called a bust his first 2 seasons, and everyone that made that claim WAS DEAD WRONG, Roddy was NOT a bust.

The argument here is whether or not Anderson is a bust. I maintain it is too early to call him a bust.

Eeveryone agrees Anderson needs to improve.

I have no idea how Arthur Blank restrains himself from firing McKay when he sees Anderson play and remembers that McKay never worked this guy out before drafting him.

And you had no idea why he wasn;t fired for picking Roddy White either, after all, Roddy was a bust and heads should have rolled!! Roddy should have been cut after his first year just like Anderson should be after his first!

Blalock, Houston and Mughelli should have been let go after last year, they were clearly busts.

Clearly, Matt Ryan is a bust after that interception, so TD should be put on notice, I'm with you all the way!

If only someone as rational as you could ruin, er I mean "run" the franchise. Each time a Boley or White is picked and doesn;t perform year one, it;s time to clean house! That will teach them all, and certainly it will be what's best for team as well.

A lot of us have been very, very careful not to call him a bust. It's too early for that. What we're saying is he's playing terrible football and we're concerned that the reason's he's playing terrible football are not going to be fixed with better coaching and more experience. I'm concerned that he's well on his way to being a bust. I'm concerned that he's exhibiting many signs that point to continued failure. I'm not calling him a bust yet. However, I will break out that term if he continues looking like the same old Jamaal Anderson into the regular season. I want to see some improvement. Not the same unathletic, bewildered failure that did nothing last season.

A lot of us have been very, very careful not to call him a bust. It's too early for that. What we're saying is he's playing terrible football and we're concerned that the reason's he's playing terrible football are not going to be fixed with better coaching and more experience. I'm concerned that he's well on his way to being a bust. I'm concerned that he's exhibiting many signs that point to continued failure. I'm not calling him a bust yet. However, I will break out that term if he continues looking like the same old Jamaal Anderson into the regular season. I want to see some improvement. Not the same unathletic, bewildered failure that did nothing last season.

You claim Roddy showed you promise and Anderson did not, therefore you reject the argument that we need to give Anderson more time just as we needed to Roddy before calling him a bust, benching him or whatever.

Are you aware that desite poor defensive line coaching last year, Anderson played the run well for a rookie LDE AND that he tied for the lead in qb hurries for all rookie defenders? Did he get a sack? No, nor did Roddy get a TD his second year.

The fact is, both Roddy and Anderson played poorly their rookie seasons. Roddy started showing the flashes in year 2, Anderson hasn;t even played year 2.

Its too freaking early to be calling Anderson a bust, and if being tied with all NFL rookies in QB hurries doesn;t demostrate any poential whatsover to you, I'm not sure what it is that would,

You claim Roddy showed you promise and Anderson did not, therefore you reject the argument that we need to give Anderson more time just as we needed to Roddy before calling him a bust, benching him or whatever.

Are you aware that desite poor defensive line coaching last year, Anderson played the run well for a rookie LDE AND that he tied for the lead in qb hurries for all rookie defenders? Did he get a sack? No, nor did Roddy get a TD his second year.

The fact is, both Roddy and Anderson played poorly their rookie seasons. Roddy started showing the flashes in year 2, Anderson hasn;t even played year 2.

Its too freaking early to be calling Anderson a bust, and if being tied with all NFL rookies in QB hurries doesn;t demostrate any poential whatsover to you, I'm not sure what it is that would,

What I'm saying is you have to look at where a young player is struggling. Roddy White showed good speed, he showed good strength, but he showed terrible hands. Are hands something you can coach? Yes. Not all WRs are able to improve their hands but Roddy did. There was never any doubt as to whether Roddy had the physical ability to play the position, it was all whether he'd ever put it all together. When you looked at Roddy before last year you said what a waste of ability.

Now look at where Anderson's struggled. Has he shown good speed? No, he's shown terrible speed. Has he shown good strength? No, he's shown himself to be laughably weak. Has he shown good explosion off the snap? No, he's the last guy out of his stance. Has he shown good agility? No, he's getting outmoved by 350 lb tackles and statue QBs. Can you teach speed, strength, explosiveness, and agility? Not much, You're either an athlete or you're not. Again, I'm not concerned about Jamaal having trouble with his technique or struggling with the pace of the game. Those are things you can coach. I'm concerned about the tings you can't coach. When you look at Anderson you don't say what a waste of ability because he's shown no ability to waste.

Roddy had the things you can't teach and didn't have the things you could. Anderson doesn't have the things you can't teach. So the Roddy-Anderson comparison doesn't work. JA may still make something of himself but it wont be because he gained experience, it will be because he worked himself to death in the weight room.

Yet again, Anderson could be the worlds best run stuffing DE and he'd still be a bust if he can't rush the QB. Run stuffing DEs are bench players. You make your money by rushing the QB.

Ignore the rookie stats. Ignore the QB hurries as well as the 0 sacks. You can make complex arguments about the impact of John Abraham and Anderson's PT and how hurries without sacks show lack of closing speed but I really don't want to go down that path. We'd just end up digging up multitudes of worthless stats that don't ever prove our point. Rookie stats are pretty worthless. I'd rather watch the player with my own two eyes and see how he looks. Does he have the athletecism you look for? Does he make smart decisions? Is he improving? I find that much more accurate for young players. I did not like what I saw from Anderson last year and I like even less the improvment (or lack there of) he's shown this season.

I totally agree! What kills me is that we as Falcon Fans are prepared to eat our own young. Before last year White was on the chopping block this year it is Anderson. New flash people it takes time to develop into a Pro Bowl caliber player. It took Kerney 3 years before he became a double digit sack artist. Let just give the kid a chance and the support he needs!

you know who else was from mcKays draft'

Roddy white ;)

Even a blind pig finds an acorn evert once and a while.

Even McKay found some good first picks but he also found some duds. I think Jenkins was in his first draft in Atlanta. He took Jimmy Williams. And he selected Jamaal Anderson who was in no way worthy of the 8th pick, leaving Patrick Willis and Okoye on the board.

There are plenty of people who gave him a chance to learn and show improvement, but he hasn't.

Giving him chance means more than giving him 1 year or waiitng until the 2nd pre-season games of his 2nd year. Many players at this level need at least 2-3 year to develop and find their feet at this level.

As for Jamaal, every scouting report said the same thing about him - namely that he was an extremerly raw talent, but with a very high potential upside. He was a boom or bust pick that was always going to need time to develop. He was never going to come in here and dominate from day 1.

I still don't know why McKay took Anderson over Okoye when Petrino wanted Okoye.

He was supposed to be Kerney's replacement... lasy year because when we drafed him we were thinking playoffs. I guess they were expecting him to do something with Abraham drawing the attention on the other side.

Obviously not many things went to plan last year.

Anderson was NOT drafted to be a project. He was drafted to be an immediate impact player. And he was not one.

If Anderson missed EVERY game last year would we have been any worse?

Giving him chance means more than giving him 1 year or waiitng until the 2nd pre-season games of his 2nd year. Many players at this level need at least 2-3 year to develop and find their feet at this level.

As for Jamaal, every scouting report said the same thing about him - namely that he was an extremerly raw talent, but with a very high potential upside. He was a boom or bust pick that was always going to need time to develop. He was never going to come in here and dominate from day 1.

And what do you expect out of a raw player? I expect a guy who is labeled as raw to show excellent tools. I expect him to be fast, strong, and have all the physical things you look for in a player of that position. I expect to see that player make some plays on sheer athletic ability but make frequent mistakes that prevent him from playing to the level he's able. I don't think that's unreasonable.

What we saw from Andreson was a player that had not only the expected deficiency of skills and experience but also showed no special athletic ability. Even the rawest of players would be able to show their athletic ability. You'd see that they're fast when they run. You'd see them explode out of their stance off the stap. You'd see them occasionally outmuscle an OT. They would be wildly incosnsistent because of their lack of skills but they would show their tools. Jamaal isn't raw. He has nothing to refine.

that is correct

Rich McKay even said the day we drafted Anderson that there were more developed DEs available but they really liked Andersons upside. It was a wel known fact that Anderson was going to have to take some time to develop from the front office, as well as every single scouting report on the kid.

that is correct

Rich McKay even said the day we drafted Anderson that there were more developed DEs available but they really liked Andersons upside. It was a wel known fact that Anderson was going to have to take some time to develop from the front office, as well as every single scouting report on the kid.

I will refer you to my post above. I have no problem waiting on a raw player to develop but I expect that player to show raw talent. I expect to see speed, strength, and agility. They might not be used correctly but they should still be evident. Jamaal shows none of these.