Last Night's Game:

Quarterback

My observations in attendance last night:

The not so good:

1. Jamaal Anderson was again pushed around physically. People keep saying things like you can't judge a DE in their first year or two but I would have to ask what have you seen of any part of his game that gives you hope for a better future? He gets physically overmatched every game and hasn't demonstrated a burst or closing speed to get around an OL.

2. Matt Ryan has a slightly below average arm for an NFL quarterback. He simply under threw a wide open Roddy White only about 40 yards down field and that out pattern to Finneran (interception) had no necessary zip on the ball to beat an NFL corner. My season tickets are on row four on the field and his ball was thrown right toward me and I have to tell you I've known some high school QB's with greater velocity. It just took forever to get there!

3. Brian Finneran was never fast but now he has lost another step or two. I watched him run down the field on the kickoff team and every single player just ran off and left him several yards behind. If Jenkins continues to get the ball like Ryan dished it to him in his first series look for Jenkins to be the "tall" fade receiver making Finneran expendable.

4. I know this will not be agreed by some, if not most, but I may finally understand why Norwood hasn't gotten more carries, couldn't beat out Dunn, and why the Falcons signed Turner--he simply does not hit the hole quickly and always pauses or veers in one direction after every handoff. This could be due to lack of confidence in his size and strength (like Turner) to consistently pound the ball but it is most apparent that he hesitates before he reacts versus just reacting. I think he is a nice change up when Turner needs a breather but I think his future could be best used in situational passing to get him the ball in space.

The Good:

1. Michael Turner hits the hole faster than anyone we've had since William Andrews. The guy is at full speed in about 3-4 steps and if you like a straight-forward no dancing runner this is your guy!

2. Grimes is the real deal! I watched the guy constantly and his man to man coverage skills are already superior to MeAngelo Hall.

3. Even though Ryan has a mediocre arm, he also has a presence that no other Falcons QB has to this point. His energy, poise and decisiveness are clearly above the other 3 quarterbacks. Even though I do not believe he has the good, strong arm you'd like he can be successful like a Drew Brees if given a great running game for him to compliment with the occasional 3rd down conversion or surprise pass. He could get this now or soon with Turner but this will be necessary because he just doesn't have the Elway or Farve arm to zip the ball in a tight spot that is sometimes necessary to drive the team 80 yards for a game winning drive.

4. The Dome looks absolutely great. I think the colors on the outside are perfect!

i've rewatched the game 3 times since yesterday and it looked like roddy was running an option route and ryan thought he was going to do something different than what he did. you see that happen from time to time. ryan can throw the ball 50-60 yards if im not mistaken and if he needed to hit roddy deep he could have done it. it just looked like miscommunication.

and on the finneran throw/INT he could have released the ball a little sooner and put a bit more zip on it but if you watch it again you'll see that finn just didnt come back to the ball aggressive enough. he just waited on it to get to him and let the corner break on it instead of going to get it. the INT was both of their faults.

No real disagreemt here as I could tell the White pass could have been miscommunication. However, had the ball been zipped to Finneran like this pattern calls for there was no need to have him come back for it. Remember, the pass to Finneran was not a curl, it was a slant, as if put there quickly enough he grabs it one the run, turns the corner, and makes the extra yards to achieve a first down or more.

please stop saying Matt Ryan has a below average arm for the NFL. HE IS A ROOKIE. He needs time to bulk up and work on his mechanics. Neither Tom Brady or Peyton Manning were known for their great arm strength, and i think they are both doing just fine. give him time. I hope he doesn't start right away though.

No real disagreemt here as I could tell the White pass could have been miscommunication. However, had the ball been zipped to Finneran like this pattern calls for there was no need to have him come back for it. Remember, the pass to Finneran was not a curl, it was a slant, as if put there quickly enough he grabs it one the run, turns the corner, and makes the extra yards to achieve a first down or more.

If you noticed the obvious miscommunication, then why provide that play as an example to prove your point about Ryan's arm strength??? <_<

I've seen enough of his throws to know that his arm at the very least is average... Joey's is below avg...

Obviously you've never played QB or pitched a baseball. I have, and I am sorry to inform you, but at 22-23 years old Matt Ryan, or anyone else, cannot "bulk up" to throw a football or baseball with any greater velocity. This is a God given ability that can't be appreciably improved in a weight room. In fact, "bulking up" can actually produce the opposite effect by constricting the arms ability to deliver in a more fluid, natural motion. This is why you'll never see a ML pitcher or NFL QB trying to achieve larger biceps.

Good for linebackers, bad for quarterbacks!

My observations in attendance last night:

The not so good:

1. Jamaal Anderson was again pushed around physically. People keep saying things like you can't judge a DE in their first year or two but I would have to ask what have you seen of any part of his game that gives you hope for a better future? He gets physically overmatched every game and hasn't demonstrated a burst or closing speed to get around an OL.

2. Matt Ryan has a slightly below average arm for an NFL quarterback. He simply under threw a wide open Roddy White only about 40 yards down field and that out pattern to Finneran (interception) had no necessary zip on the ball to beat an NFL corner. My season tickets are on row four on the field and his ball was thrown right toward me and I have to tell you I've known some high school QB's with greater velocity. It just took forever to get there!

3. Brian Finneran was never fast but now he has lost another step or two. I watched him run down the field on the kickoff team and every single player just ran off and left him several yards behind. If Jenkins continues to get the ball like Ryan dished it to him in his first series look for Jenkins to be the "tall" fade receiver making Finneran expendable.

4. I know this will not be agreed by some, if not most, but I may finally understand why Norwood hasn't gotten more carries, couldn't beat out Dunn, and why the Falcons signed Turner--he simply does not hit the hole quickly and always pauses or veers in one direction after every handoff. This could be due to lack of confidence in his size and strength (like Turner) to consistently pound the ball but it is most apparent that he hesitates before he reacts versus just reacting. I think he is a nice change up when Turner needs a breather but I think his future could be best used in situational passing to get him the ball in space.

The Good:

1. Michael Turner hits the hole faster than anyone we've had since William Andrews. The guy is at full speed in about 3-4 steps and if you like a straight-forward no dancing runner this is your guy!

2. Grimes is the real deal! I watched the guy constantly and his man to man coverage skills are already superior to MeAngelo Hall.

3. Even though Ryan has a mediocre arm, he also has a presence that no other Falcons QB has to this point. His energy, poise and decisiveness are clearly above the other 3 quarterbacks. Even though I do not believe he has the good, strong arm you'd like he can be successful like a Drew Brees if given a great running game for him to compliment with the occasional 3rd down conversion or surprise pass. He could get this now or soon with Turner but this will be necessary because he just doesn't have the Elway or Farve arm to zip the ball in a tight spot that is sometimes necessary to drive the team 80 yards for a game winning drive.

4. The Dome looks absolutely great. I think the colors on the outside are perfect!

You judge Ryan with an below avg arm and your ONLY evidence of that is one play? Is their any possible way that could have been a miscommunication? Is it possible a rookie QB got the play wrong? Do you get that from other things you read on this board or other websites or what?. I mean my God, last week his arm looked fine and everyone was applauding the guy, now his arm is too weak? Jeez, you think maybe, just maybe not EVERY throw in the NFL has to have 100mph on it? I have to seriously disagree with this assessment right there. I was at the game on the 40 yd line on the the 1st level looking at that same play and it was obvious the two got the play mixed up, that's all. Saying he has a below avg arm based on that one play is kind of overly critical. Please tell me you have more evidence to base that opinion on than that... <_<

Obviously you've never played QB or pitched a baseball. I have, and I am sorry to inform you, but at 22-23 years old Matt Ryan, or anyone else, cannot "bulk up" to throw a football or baseball with any greater velocity. This is a God given ability that can't be appreciably improved in a weight room. In fact, "bulking up" can actually produce the opposite effect by constricting the arms ability to deliver in a more fluid, natural motion. This is why you'll never see a ML pitcher or NFL QB trying to achieve larger biceps.

Good for linebackers, bad for quarterbacks!

Thats not totally correct. Ryans arm strength will continue to imporve over the next couple of years. However it is god given ability to beable to throw the ball like Favre or Vick or whoever. Something Matt Ryan does not have(or need).

Ryan and White had a miscommunication on the option route, so it wasn't an under throw. Ryan also looked like he's not as confident on the timing routes, as shown on the throw to Finneran that was intercepted. It wasn't that his arm strength couldn't have gotten the ball there quicker, but his velocity reflected when he "thought" Finneran would turn on the route. Had he put it out their quicker it probably would not have been intercepted, but Finneran may also have not been ready for it. That should be resolved over time as he and the receivers get used to each other.

Also, Finneran could have helped by coming back a little to the ball as well.

To all of you who are flying off the handle about my observation of Ryan's arm strength, no, it isn't based on one or two throws! I've taken a few snaps myself and have pitched the ball around with some great and not so great arms and I'm simply saying that, in my opinion, watching Ryan both in college and now in the pros should you have Matt Ryan and all other NFL starting QBs this year all throw the ball as far as they can my prediction is that Ryan would finish in the bottom 3rd of the league. This, indeed, is thus " below average" as an NFL arm.

Now, this doesn't in any way mean that Ryan can't be successful, or one day win multiple super bowls; however, he will have to adjust his throws to compensate for this much like a pitcher who once had the fastest pitch on his high school or college team who later learned that his 90-91 MPH fastball is not elite by major league standards and now must learn to change speeds. Believe it or not, if you ever watched the NFL QB competition in the mid 80's through the early 90's you may have noticed that Dan Marino had a maximum throwing distance of about 65 yeards, well below the 75-80 yards range the more powerful arms of Elway, Cunningham, and others could deliver routinely. A lot of people think Marino had a great arm but he didn't; what he had was a short, precise delivery that was deadly from 15-30 yards. I think he went on to do pretty well.

I was at the game last night (row 14 - near the field) and I've been to a few practices and I'll say Ryan has an average NFL arm - certainly not below average. The interception was simply due to a late release which he'll learn not to do with experience (hopefully). The Roddy "underthow" was miscommunication.