Quotables from yesterdays game

bossFALCON™

Head Coach Mike Smith

Q: Opening remarks:

A: “We weren’t pleased with the outcome of the game. When you turn the ball over five times in any football game, you’re going to have a hard time winning. The other thing that our staff was disappointed about was that we had two unsportsmanlike penalties. That’s not the way we are going to do business. Our players understand that. You cannot give people free yards especially when it is silly penalties. There are a lot of positives. The most impressive was that I thought Michael Turner ran the ball extremely well on his four carries for 113 yards. The offensive line opened up some very nice holes. He was able to get into the secondary and you can see that Michael has speed. That was very impressive. It’s the second straight week that we have rushed for over 100 yards. The other thing that was positive was that our defense played tough all the way through. They were flying around and were put in some situations that are going to be tough for teams, but they did not give up the offensive touchdown. We’ll get on the tape, get back together as a team on Monday, watch that tape, make the corrections and keep moving forward. This is a process that we’re going through as a football team.”

Q: What do you like seeing in Michael Turner in practice and games in regards to reading the lead block?

A: “He read the play perfectly. We got a good push on the defensive tackle and he was able to cut it back. He showed great awareness in his cutback ability. When you watch Michael going through the process and doing due diligence, that’s the kind running back that he is. That’s very positive for our football team. We want to be a team that will be able to run the football. I think we showed that tonight.”

Q: Can you talk about the play of Matt Ryan?

A: “Matt did not play as well as he played last week. This is a maturation process for the quarterback. Am I surprised by it? Not really. There are going to be ups and downs with the quarterback. Going from the college game to the NFL, this is the steepest learning curve for any position on the football team. The positive is that when things went bad, Matt kept his head up. He was in to the game. The real sign is going to be how when he comes back and has the opportunity to play next week when his number gets called. It is a process. We’ve got to make the corrections in terms of his read.”

Q: After Michael Turner’s four carries, had you seen enough?

A: “We felt like we’d seen enough. On those four carries that Mike had, we were in two third and one situations down in the red zone and we weren’t able to convert. On both sides of the football, we’ve got to improve on our third down efficiency. We were three of 10 on the offensive side and we were seven of 18 on the defensive side. We’ve got to get better. When you’ve got a chance to convert and score, the look of that game in the first half is completely different. My hat goes off to the Colts. They made the plays on third down and one.

Q: Is the special teams a work in progress because you have so many players?

A: “Most definitely. For the special teams coaches, the preseason is the toughest. When you’ve got an 80-man roster that you’re working with, you’ve got guys that you’re taking out of the game because they’re out. It is a little bit of a logistical nightmare in terms of trying to get everything done. I thought the penalties were unacceptable but our coverage teams really did a nice job. That was one of the things that we spoke about as a team all week is that we’ve got to try to improve our coverage units. I thought they did a nice job. One drive start started on the nine and the other started on the 16 or 17. So, that part of the special teams improved.”

Q: The Colts had a lot of offsides and encroachment penalties. Is that something that you saw in film that you could get them to jump with hard counts?

A: “Having played against those guys twice a year, you know those guys pretty well. They’ve got some guys that can really rush the passer and they’re on a hair trigger. I thought that we did a nice job using the cadence. All of our quarterbacks were able to get a guy drawn offsides. That was a good weapon to know we have.”

Q: What have you seen the first two weeks with the defense, especially with the first unit that they have held things together the way that they have?

A: “These guys have a good understanding of what we’re trying to do. Brian (VanGorder) and his staff have really got that into the guys’ heads in terms of ‘hey this is how we’re going to do business.’ They play hard. They’re running to the football. We’ve made a lot of mistakes. Our mental errors were down today. One of the things that they are doing is that they’re really flying around. As you watch the highlights, there are a lot of red jerseys running around. That’s the thing that I’ve been most impressed with.”

Q: What have you seen in (Brent) Grimes as he busted up another play tonight?

A: “They continue to go his way and Brent continues to make plays. As Brent continues to develop, I think he’s going to have a chance to be successful in this league.”

Q: The defensive line is coming together and it looks like you have some depth there.

A: “When we went into the process early on when we started talking about free agency. We added a number of guys. It’s nice to have Grady (Jackson) back. The group that we have, I don’t think there are many standout players. They are very workmanlike. They bring there lunch pail, come to work everyday and it’s been a nice rotation. We’ve got to continue to work on rushing the passer. The quarterbacks rushed for about 25 to 30 yards. They got out on some rush lane issues, but for the most part those guys have really played well. I don’t know if there is a perennial pro bowler in the group.”

Q: Why did you decide to not play Chris Houston?

A: “Chris has been coming back and practicing. We wanted to make sure that he’s ready to go. Hopefully, as the week progresses and he starts feeling better, we will get Chris back in there. He has been practicing, but it was a decision that the coaching staff made in terms of holding him out. John Abraham could have played today if needed and we felt like we needed to hold him out and look at some of the younger guys.”

Q: What is the status on (Quinn) Ojinnaka and (Michael) Boley?

A: “Michael got kicked in the back and Quinn got rolled up on a protection play. Until I talk with Ron (Medlin) and get more details I won’t know anymore. But, I don’t think it’s anything that is real serious.”

Head Coach Mike Smith

Q: The defensive line is coming together and it looks like you have some depth there.

A: “When we went into the process early on when we started talking about free agency. We added a number of guys. It’s nice to have Grady (Jackson) back. The group that we have, I don’t think there are many standout players. They are very workmanlike. They bring there lunch pail, come to work everyday and it’s been a nice rotation. We’ve got to continue to work on rushing the passer. The quarterbacks rushed for about 25 to 30 yards. They got out on some rush lane issues, but for the most part those guys have really played well. I don’t know if there is a perennial pro bowler in the group.”

I know..............uhhh, NO there are NOT any perennial pro bowlers on the d-line, except Abraham (when healthy an entire season) (Unfortunately)!! :(:(