Running game is flawed....

bart

On the surface the overall numbers look OK for the running game (about 160 yds). But there is reason for concern within those numbers. Out of 24 rushing attempts there were 3 rushes for no gain and if I counted right 7 attempts which lost yardage! And too many of those negative plays came in the red zone. This ain't gonna cut it. This has to change or the outlook is not good for the season.

On the surface the overall numbers look OK for the running game (about 160 yds). But there is reason for concern within those numbers. Out of 24 rushing attempts there were 3 rushes for no gain and if I counted right 7 attempts which lost yardage! And too many of those negative plays came in the red zone. This ain't gonna cut it. This has to change or the outlook is not good for the season.

I will take what I saw from the 1st string RB's tonight all season long, so I disaagree <_<

Coach Smith....is that you?

ok yall cant count the stuff from the 2nd, 3rd, 4th team. they wont be playing a lot on gameday when it counts. the 1st team line did wonderful.

Really? How about 1st time in the red zone. 1st string. no gain and 2 yard loss (turner). 2Nd time in red zone, only rushing attempt lost yardage (norwood). We weren't getting it done where it mattered. That hardly qualifies as smash mouth football and won't put other teams in fear of our running game close to the goal where it matters. Don't know whether it's the line, backs or the play call but this needs improvement to establish the style of play Smitty wants.

Your logic is flawed. You're making a regular season argument about a preseason game. Right now you have to view stats on a drive-by-drive basis. Different levels of talent on the field throughout the game, both on offense and defense.

Not flawed. I'm referring primarily to the 1st two drives inside the 20 with pretty much 1st string players in there. 1st teamers were not getting it done in the red zone.

It's the second PRE-SEASON game of the year for a team that has been gutted and is rebuilding and people are already talking about how bad things are. Defense always gets going faster and more easily than offense in the early part of the season, Offense needs many more reps to Gel and be productive. It's depressing to see this kind of stuff so early and with the problems we are trying to come back from.

Not flawed. I'm referring primarily to the 1st two drives inside the 20 with pretty much 1st string players in there. 1st teamers were not getting it done in the red zone.

Ok...so you noticed that it happend on Joey's watch as well??? Should've been 14 points easily...but they did trust Joey enough to make the throw.... <_<

Exactly and the Colts knew that too..so the Burner was going to get stuffed.

A smash mouth, power running team should be able to make those yards even when the other team knows it's coming. That's the point. We're not there yet (as Smith mentioned in his after game PC). This is the same problem we had last year and at the moment it's a serious problem. I too loved to see Turner break loose on those long runs but when it mattered there was no production.

As they say in golf, drive for show and putt for dough. We cannot allow other defenses to totally shut down our run game in the red zone.

First string looks pretty **** solid. The only improvement would be the offensive line. When a RB was stuffed, it was not the RB's fault, it was the olines fault.

If you recall the only reason it got stuff in the redzone was because the Colts called a run blitz. The line has done a good job in both games so far, we will really get a a true picture of what we have this Friday against the Titans. The DBs still look good, Wish Manning was playing to see how they would do against him, but right now the biggest problem is pass rush. Not just Anderson, we don't have the pressure up the middle that a healthy Rod Coleman producted, Babs is not getting in pass rush either. Even if Anderson, and Abraham get pressure on the QB unless they completely beat their man, or unless the QB can step up in the pocket and buy a little more time.

I hope we are wrong, but I agree Bart, you take away the two long runs and we really didn't run for squat. I would much rather have a back that can get four or five yards a carry than one that can get 60 yard runs here and there but can't break a tackle for the shorter yards. I'm sorry Folks MT looks more like a big third down back than an every down back. He looks powerful but isn't. Much Like Duckett. MT got arm tackled that sucks. I would rather have Norwood starting at least when he has the hole Turner had he can take it to the end zone. The two big runs by Turner was more O-line than him as he never was touched. He did have the speed to take advantage of the hole, but Roddy White could have made that run. We need a bruising punishing back.

This actually reminds me of when we used to zone block and a little of last year.

We could break off big runs every now and then but when it came to the tough yards we couldn't get a good enough push from the offensive line.

When the first team was in the "Ford Drive Zone" we couldn't punch it in.