Christians. Why do you want showy public prayer?

Why do you want gatherings around flagpoles, loud prayer in school and prayers from podiums in school? That is not what the bible teaches and it is not what Jesus himself taught. If you are Christian, it means to follow the teachings of Christ, does it not?

I prayed in school all the time and no teacher ever stopped me because they never heard me.And I did not wait for a "moment of silence" I prayed whenever. Kids today can do the same if you quit trying to teach them it is THEM who is on the important end of the prayer.

But I know some of you folks love to be seen, because it's all about you, isn't it?

So instead of listening to some of YOU guys speak about public prayer, lets go back to the roots and listen to what the man who gave Christianity his name and his blood and his life had to say on the subject.

Matthew 6:5And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

That is the end of the discussion in my book when it comes to public prayer. But do add to the discussion if you feel you know more than Jesus on the subject.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

b/c we need a way for god to tell the chrisitan conservatives from the godless liberals!! we could make libearls wear a scarlet A for atheist but the aclu would sue!

The ACLU is full of ******* , and as long as you can pray at home then I am really not to concerned with it..

I could not care less about (showy) public prayer..Why do you assume allconservatives do?

Again, show me where I said all conservatives do and I will further this conversation. I was asking it to Christians, and that word is not at all interchangable with conservative. And I wasn't even asking it of ALL Christians. Some know the deal. Some however want to make prayer a public show and those are the ones I was asking.

Funny aint i? The bible is a collection of stories. "Stories" as in rumor. now we all know how rumors get slanted dont we? Tell someone something and watch what you said morph into something the tongue waggers want to tell or hear.

or how about sticking to the thread topic. crazy idea....i know

or how about sticking to the thread topic. crazy idea....i know

Says the saints fan on a Falcons message board. Robert Meacham is showing out finally. i like that. I know his uncle. Back on topic. I dont pray as i am a godless heathen known as an "indian" or "blanketazz" to most whites around here. My grandfather was rapped on the knuckles with a ruler for speaking his native tongue(Potawatomi). Sorry if I dont bring anything to the table in this clearly political thread.

I think you make an excellent point about the whole school prayer thing. I do think that many Christians enjoy the idea of fellowship, of praying together en mass. I always enjoyed and appreciated the team prayer before each football game, but again I agree with you that prayer has become for some a self serving "look at me" spectacle.

Says the saints fan on a Falcons message board. Robert Meacham is showing out finally. i like that. I know his uncle. Back on topic. I dont pray as i am a godless heathen known as an "indian" or "blanketazz" to most whites around here. My grandfather was rapped on the knuckles with a ruler for speaking his native tongue(Potawatomi). Sorry if I dont bring anything to the table in this clearly political thread.

My dad was Indian too and it STILL has nothing to do with the subject. I was merely pointing out the hypocrisy of many who DO call themselves Christians wanting to make a show of prayer.

if you had been to the main website for the Saints, you would understand why I am here. It's pretty much like TATF. At least this place has a decent off-topic and rivalry forum

I think you make an excellent point about the whole school prayer thing. I do think that many Christians enjoy the idea of fellowship, of praying together en mass. I always enjoyed and appreciated the team prayer before each football game, but again I agree with you that prayer has become for some a self serving "look at me" spectacle.

I agree. Many know the true meaning of prayer and handle it on a 1 on 1 situation. The other thing is that as a player I did like the idea of a team prayer for unity and to ask for safety of the players on the field. The biggest problem I have is someone deciding that now we can not do this because it offends someone. Well telling me I can not do it offends me so what is the answer. Let those who which to do it, and those who do not don't. Personal choice.

I think many Christians want the assurance that this country hasn't lost all hope and there are still people who pray.

If you go to jail they give you a bible...they wont' let you take one to school though

I guess if you're in jail you can't vote for or against a Goddless liberal anyway, so they'll let you have a bible.

I wonder if they allow Ann Coulters book

"GODLESS, THE CHURCH OF LIBERALISM"

I think many Christians want the assurance that this country hasn't lost all hope and there are still people who pray.

If you go to jail they give you a bible...they wont' let you take one to school though

I guess if you're in jail you can't vote for or against a Goddless liberal anyway, so they'll let you have a bible.

I wonder if they allow Ann Coulters book

"GODLESS, THE CHURCH OF LIBERALISM"

What has Ann Coulter done to further Jesus' cause?