Cincinnati QB sues NCAA.

SacFalcFan

Cincinnati QB sues NCAA

Notebook

| Associated Press | Story updated at 11:56 PM on Thursday, August 14, 2008

CINCINNATI - Ben Mauk has launched a legal Hail Mary in an effort to keep his college football career alive.

The quarterback filed a lawsuit Wednesday against the NCAA, less than a week after the association rejected his final appeal for another year of eligibility at Cincinnati.

The same day the lawsuit was filed, Hardin County Judge William Hart in Mauk's home area of Kenton, Ohio, granted a temporary restraining order that says the NCAA cannot prevent him from practicing with the Bearcats.

The judge set an Aug. 22 hearing on Mauk's request for a permanent injunction against the NCAA.

Mauk said he should get another season because of playing time lost to injury when he was at Wake Forest.

"Despite being a model student-athlete (and person) for the NCAA and despite having earned the NCAA significant revenues, the NCAA has wrongfully, arbitrarily and capriciously denied Mr. Mauk's request to participate in a fourth year of athletic competition for reasons completely beyond Mr. Mauk's control," the lawsuit states.

Aggies pick McGee

COLLEGE STATION, Texas - Senior Stephen McGee was chosen Texas A&M's starting quarterback by first-year coach Mike Sherman, ending the QB competition with sophomore Jerrod Johnson.

McGee, who started the past two seasons for former coach Dennis Franchione, threw for 2,311 yards and 12 touchdowns in 2007. McGee has a 16-11 record as the Aggies' starter.

"Everybody wants to play," McGee said. "I want to play football for as long as I possibly can. I'm excited to be in the huddle again."

Sherman, who became Texas A&M's coach after Franchione resigned last November, said McGee had a firm grasp of his pro-style offense and had not thrown an interception in fall workouts.

"In the end, Stephen was the most consistent," he said. "It was day-to-day stuff going back to the spring. I tried to be oblivious to last year. I wanted to see what he could do."

The Aggies ran an option-style offense under Franchione and were often criticized last season for not passing enough. McGee, who threw for 8,256 yards in a record-setting high school career at Burnet, says Sherman's offense is a better fit for his skills.

"I love it," McGee said. "It's a lot of fun to be in this offense and the amount of stuff we can do, the different formations and moving people around. It really gives us a lot of options."

The 6-5, 229-pound Johnson, who threw only seven passes last season, is the backup. Sherman said he's been impressed with redshirt freshman Ryan Tannehill during preseason practices. Sherman has also been using Tannehill as a receiver.

Sherman spoke to the quarterbacks on Wednesday night to inform them of his decision.

"Nothing is just set in stone, other than the fact that he is the starter in the first ball game," Sherman said.

This guy REALLY loves college. He has appealed 3 times prior to this lawsuit. It's like **** man, just go play in the CFL or something.

he has a legitimate gripe about it.. i was on the national boards and read about another 5 to 6 guys with the same situation where the ncaa gave them a 6th season.. the ncaa is a joke.. they should just give it to him like they have plenty of others..

he has a legitimate gripe about it.. i was on the national boards and read about another 5 to 6 guys with the same situation where the ncaa gave them a 6th season.. the ncaa is a joke.. they should just give it to him like they have plenty of others..

But he's claiming that he was injured in his freshman season, which he wasn't. He's not able to produce any kind of medical records from his freshman year in college. If he was legitimately injured then I'd be all for it, but according to the NCAA, he wasn't.

But he's claiming that he was injured in his freshman season, which he wasn't. He's not able to produce any kind of medical records from his freshman year in college. If he was legitimately injured then I'd be all for it, but according to the NCAA, he wasn't.

Mauk originally attended Wake Forest and as a freshman in 2003 he took a non-playing redshirt. Mauk contends that the reason stems from a medical injury.

As a high school freshman he suffered a broken leg. Mauk had plates and screws inserted in the leg and foot. Late in his senior year of high school, the screw in his big toe came free and had to be removed. The slow recovery prevented him from competing in training camp at Wake Forest, getting up to speed on the offense and led to his redshirt.

Wake Forest actually supports Mauk's contention, as the transfer to Cinci was an amicable event. The problem is, Wake has no documentation to support the claim. That was why the NCAA denied the medical hardship waiver in the first place.

Even with the face-to-face appeal, it doesn't seem like the NCAA will have a reason to change its mind unless there is something more that can help establish that Mauk's redshirt was tied to medical reasons.

*** So wake forest states that maulk side of the story is correct and the facts back that up, but someone at wake dropped the ball so maulk is not able to play a 6th year..

Ohhhh okay, I didn't know that about his broken leg. I thought the redshirt he took was simply because they wanted to get the most years out of him as possible.

Either way, like you said, the NCAA turned his request down 3 times, and he'll probably lose this case too.

I just don't understand why he wants to stay in college so bad. He would light it up in the arena league if he went. Go there for a couple of years and get paid until you can get a camp tryout for an NFL team. It seems strange to me that someone would want to stay in college as long as he has JUST to play football. He has already graduated, so he need to move on along down the line like all the other big kids.