Those Wacky Spaniards

silentbob1272

In fairness, it was before the boom was lowered on their basketball team. I guess this is what passes for humor in Espana.

spainrace_790866c.jpg

A second group of Spanish Olympic athletes has been photographed making “slit-eyed” gestures, threatening to overshadow the Beijing Games with a row over racial stereotyping.

The latest photo to emerge shows Spanish women tennis players pulling the pose, apparently in anticipation of their Federation Cup match against China in April.

Pictures of the Spanish men’s and women’s basketball teams making the gesture, a crude impersonation of Chinese people, were published in adverts in Spanish newspapers earlier this week.

The photos, which were reprinted around the world, added to Spanish sport's poor reputation for racial sensitivity.

The latest image appears to show players in Spain’s Federation Cup team doing the “slit-eyed” gesture along with members of their support staff. There is no suggestion that they intended to cause offence.

It was apparently taken after the team defeated Italy in the quarter-finals of the competition - the leading team contest for women tennis players - in Febraury. Wine glasses are visible on the table in front of the party.

The Spanish team that defeated the Italians included Lourdes Dominguez-Lino, Nuria Llagostera Vives, Anabel Medina Garrigues and Carla Suarez-Navarro.

Llagostera Vives, Medina Garrigues and Suarez-Navarro are all competing at the Games in Beijing.

The photo is still visible on the official website of the Spanish Tennis Federation, where it was spotted. The original is captioned “Estamos preparados para China”, which translates as “We are prepared for China”.

Spain’s women tennis players defeated the Chinese team in their Federation Cup semi-final in April. The Spanish are due to play Russia in the final in September.

Still can't figure out what is supposed to be racist about recognizing different races, in general have different features. Sorry, most Chinese have slanted eyes and most anyone has made that gesture. I have. I wasn't inferring it was an inferior feature, just that if you wanna look Asian, a quick way is to slant your eyes.

I'm white and have a white persons flat ***. If someone wants to suck their butt in and say they are me.. go for it. It's true. Geez.

Still can't figure out what is supposed to be racist about recognizing different races, in general have different features. Sorry, most Chinese have slanted eyes and most anyone has made that gesture. I have. I wasn't inferring it was an inferior feature, just that if you wanna look Asian, a quick way is to slant your eyes.

I'm white and have a white persons flat ***. If someone wants to suck their butt in and say they are me.. go for it. It's true. Geez.

What is funny is that I travel to China fairly regularly and the folks I work with there, as we have become more comfortable around one another make a "wide eyed" gesture when talking and joking about Americans......I always thought it was funny, who knew they were being racists. :blink:

What is funny is that I travel to China fairly regularly and the folks I work with there, as we have become more comfortable around one another make a "wide eyed" gesture when talking and joking about Americans......I always thought it was funny, who knew they were being racists. :blink:

That is why Japanese Manga characters have wide eyes by the way. It stems from their animators copying western cartoons.To me, noting a physical difference isn't racism unless you are saying it makes one inferior to the other.

My eyes are so light sensitive I would consider having slanted or narrow eyes a bonus. ^_^

I think people in America are too over-sensitive on such things and forget that other countries don´t have the political correctness stick deep in their a**

I remember some reactions on an advertisement in Europe where 2 kids were shown with blackfaces... there was a storm of reactions on this forum... I didn´t even know why people were upset until someone took me the time to explain the history of blackfaces in the US... but people in Europe don´t know that and don´t consider their actions by how it could be regarded in the US (why should they?)

I don´t see any problem with either pictures, the only problem is the media. This wouldn´t even make the news over here some years ago but unfortunately the media in Europe is slowly getting "americanized" :(

To me, noting a physical difference isn't racism unless you are saying it makes one inferior to the other.

Exactly, the message matters.

Plus, messages always have a sender and recipient and they might come from a different cultural background than you and even slight differences in that background can change the message.