What did uga get in commit TE Fontaine and how tough is it to get a guy from BC..

SacFalcFan

Arthur Fontaine, who committed to Georgia this week, is the No. 5 tight end in the country, according to Rivals, but he was the Bulldogs’ No. 1 choice.

Rivals national recruiting director Mike Farrell, who is based in Connecticut and has seen Fontaine up close, understands why.

“He’s the most complete tight end in the country when it comes to blocking and catching,” Farrell said. “The others are more athletic who are ranked higher, but they’re going to have to learn to block, and Arthur won’t.”

Rivals’ No. 1 tight end, Logan Thomas of Virginia, is a high school quarterback who has never played the position.

Orson Charles, rated No. 4, is faster but lacks size at 6-foot-2, 216. Charles, a teammate of quarterback Aaron Murray, a Georgia commit, also has been recruited by Georgia.

Fontaine, who is 6-5, 240, caught only 10 passes last season and plays in a state not known for its high school football, But he has become a prize recruit based on his work in summer camps.

“He’s a well-rounded, physical, hard-working, typical Northeastern kid who will roll up his sleeves and smack the person in front of him or sneak out into the flat,” Farrell said. “Stealing him away [from Boston College] is a big deal. You don’t get kids out of Massachusetts if BC wants them, usually.”

I agree he is way ahead in development than Charles. It is my understanding that other colleges are recruiting Charles as a Wr not TE. Charles seems to be headed to the U. UGA is "TIGHT END U". We need a big body like that (Fontaine) inside the 20, Charles is more of a stretch the field guy. I just hope he doesn't get the "butterfingers", when he gets here like Milner, and Chandler.

“He’s a well-rounded, physical, hard-working, typical Northeastern kid who will roll up his sleeves and smack the person in front of him or sneak out into the flat,” Farrell said. “Stealing him away [from Boston College] is a big deal. You don’t get kids out of Massachusetts if BC wants them, usually.”

Yeah, I had read somewhere in which he said that he wanted to experience college life and it seems that him settling for BC wasn't going to cut it. It sounds as if he just wanted to get away from Massachusetts altogether.

I'm sure UGA's #1 rankings (and his mother) helped to make his decision to pick the Dawgs.

I agree he is way ahead in development than Charles. It is my understanding that other colleges are recruiting Charles as a Wr not TE. Charles seems to be headed to the U. UGA is "TIGHT END U". We need a big body like that (Fontaine) inside the 20, Charles is more of a stretch the field guy. I just hope he doesn't get the "butterfingers", when he gets here like Milner, and Chandler.

Right now UGA is Tight End U. Since I believe 1995 every full time TE starter has went on to the nfl. That includes jermaine wiggins, randy mcmichael, ben watson, leonard pope, etc.. Charles is a hybrid. He will not be a pure TE, but he will be used as a hybrid player on most offenses.

Yeah, I had read somewhere in which he said that he wanted to experience college life and it seems that him settling for BC wasn't going to cut it. It sounds as if he just wanted to get away from Massachusetts altogether.

I'm sure UGA's #1 rankings (and his mother) helped to make his decision to pick the Dawgs.

i still can't believe we went up to mass and got him.. he is the first player from that area since jermaine wiggins.

Right now UGA is Tight End U. Since I believe 1995 every full time TE starter has went on to the nfl. That includes jermaine wiggins, randy mcmichael, ben watson, leonard pope, etc.. Charles is a hybrid. He will not be a pure TE, but he will be used as a hybrid player on most offenses.

True when i think of TEs i think of UGA. Add Martrez Milner to that list as well.