Knowshon back deep IS intriguing.

SacFalcFan

Knowshon back deep IS intriguing

By Chip Towers | Friday, August 15, 2008, 06:00 AM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Reggie Bush did it. Desmond Howard did it. Will Knowshon Moreno do it, too?

I’m not talking about winning the Heisman Trophy, which those first two guys did. I’m talking about returning punts and kickoffs. But I can tell you this — the two things aren’t mutually exclusive. Returning kicks helped win those first two guys those two Heismans.

Now that’s not the reason Georgia should have Knowshon return punts this season. If I know anything about coach Mark Richt or the Bulldogs, I’m sure they wouldn’t attempt something of the sort to help a player garner votes for an individual award.

But you’ve got to admit the idea of Moreno returning kicks of any sort is very intriguing. Richt revealed yesterday that Moreno has been handling punt returns (along with freshman Carlton Thomas and quarterback Logan Gray) during preseason practices. Not surprisingly, Moreno has looked the best so far.

Think about the excitement a home crowd would feel after the Georgia defense has stoned an opponent and No. 24 comes trotting in from the sideline and wanders back there all alone as the deep safety. You’ve seen what he can do with a little daylight on a toss sweep. Imagine what he can do if he really has some room to run.

I know, I know. The risk of injury is certainly greater fielding a ball out of the air as 11 players barrel full speed down the field after you. But is it significantly greater than when you’re carrying the ball 25 or 30 times out of the I-formation? I’d say Bush was pretty valuable to Southern Cal, as he is to the New Orleans Saints today. And Howard was pretty important to Michigan, too. And if special teams are truly as important as Georgia claims they are to its success and Moreno is the best at this, why have anybody else do it?

It would be a bold move, for sure. But I think I like it. What about y’all? …

Speaking of Knowshon

There was a nice piece on him in ESPN The Magazine’s college football preview issue. There’s not a lot folks around here didn’t already know or have heard about Knowshon. But certainly interesting seeing it told again to a national audience… .

Most powerful: Saban

Surely by now most of you have heard — or seen on the cover of the magazine in stores now — that Forbes Magazine has declared Alabama’s Nick Saban as the “most powerful coach” in all of sports. I haven’t read the whole article myself but between the amount of money he makes, the structure of his contract (no buyout I think) and the way he runs his program, the business-oriented magazine’s editors have determined Saban’s the man. Perhaps the clincher between him and Bill Belichick and was going 6-6 last season and not ending up on the hot seat.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yep.. heck mcknight can't even start.. LOLOLOL

Not many true freshman can start with a stable full of other RB's that would start on 90% of the other schools. And incase you didn't read my little report on USC's scrimmage, McKnight was the opening starter and took a lot of the snaps with the 1st team.

If he's the best man for the job, I want to see him returning punts.

And McKnight dreams of being like Moreno. He plays in a flag football conference and his numbers still won't touch Moreno's.

So it's cool when you guys proclaim UGA players to be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but when other teams fans praise their players its blasphemy? Funny how that works huh? :rolleyes:

Not many true freshman can start with a stable full of other RB's that would start on 90% of the other schools. And incase you didn't read my little report on USC's scrimmage, McKnight was the opening starter and took a lot of the snaps with the 1st team.

moreno would start over mcknight period.. you know it.. moreno has already done more than mcknight. he hasn't started yet one game for usc. scrimmage and practice means nothing..

moreno would start over mcknight period.. you know it.. moreno has already done more than mcknight. he hasn't started yet one game for usc. scrimmage and practice means nothing..

As of right now yes, I'd start Moreno over McKnight too due to the fact that he has started and has an extra year of experience. When I mentioned the scrimmage it wasn't meant to be anything more than he's closing in on winning the starting job if he hasn't already. CPC has been starting different backs during practices and etc. and had him listed as a co-starter coming out of spring.

As of right now yes, I'd start Moreno over McKnight too due to the fact that he has started and has an extra year of experience. When I mentioned the scrimmage it wasn't meant to be anything more than he's closing in on winning the starting job if he hasn't already. CPC has been starting different backs during practices and etc. and had him listed as a co-starter coming out of spring.

It seems to me that comparing the two is a bit unfair. Moreno won the starting job because he's a stud but UGA didn't have other studs playing the position. I mean the Dawgs had talent but the USC backfield was supposed to be very deep with great players, and Carroll appears to be very serious about playing guys based on how hard and well they practice. The sky is the limit on Moreno, but I believe Southern Cal was much deeper last year in quality rb's than Georgia. Do you disagree with that, Sac?

It seems to me that comparing the two is a bit unfair. Moreno won the starting job because he's a stud but UGA didn't have other studs playing the position. I mean the Dawgs had talent but the USC backfield was supposed to be very deep with great players, and Carroll appears to be very serious about playing guys based on how hard and well they practice. The sky is the limit on Moreno, but I believe Southern Cal was much deeper last year in quality rb's than Georgia. Do you disagree with that, Sac?

I agree with last year, but I think this year uga is as deep as usc in the offensive backfield. Remember last year we lost thomas brown and kregg lumpkin to injuries. Kregg was out almost all year and thomas missed a handful of games and both guys were very good runners. In fact both right now are in the nfl so that says something. I think this year with caleb king, richard samuel, carlton thomas, and djax with moreno we are as deep as usc. Wait til you get to see the guys xnex. Just to note I believe mcknight is a great talent, but the negative comments on moreno by usc fans (not all fans by the way) and talking about how great mcknight is just ignores the fact of how great moreno is. both guys can be great, but one had to play early due to injuries while the other was brought along more slowly due to the depth chart.

I agree with last year, but I think this year uga is as deep as usc in the offensive backfield. Remember last year we lost thomas brown and kregg lumpkin to injuries. Kregg was out almost all year and thomas missed a handful of games and both guys were very good runners. In fact both right now are in the nfl so that says something. I think this year with caleb king, richard samuel, carlton thomas, and djax with moreno we are as deep as usc. Wait til you get to see the guys xnex. Just to note I believe mcknight is a great talent, but the negative comments on moreno by usc fans (not all fans by the way) and talking about how great mcknight is just ignores the fact of how great moreno is. both guys can be great, but one had to play early due to injuries while the other was brought along more slowly due to the depth chart.

Hey, not to hijack the thread but how is the kid from Augusta doing thus far? He chose the Dawgs over Carolina and is also a very good baseball player. I think his name is Sanders Cummings?

Also a question for jGator if he reads this post. How is Carlos doing so far in practices? Is he expected to be a major contributor this upcoming season?

Hey, not to hijack the thread but how is the kid from Augusta doing thus far? He chose the Dawgs over Carolina and is also a very good baseball player. I think his name is Sanders Cummings?

Also a question for jGator if he reads this post. How is Carlos doing so far in practices? Is he expected to be a major contributor this upcoming season?

Sanders is doing great. he is very athletic and talented. he is being used as a safety and corner. He can play corner and he is a ballhawk. He won't be redshirted. He will be playing right away.. He has done some wow stuff in practice.

I hope you don't have me with that group because I try to give respect where it's due. And I don't know a whole lot about your other backs but I think USC & UGA are probably the deepest teams in the nation at RB (This is a guess without looking at other rosters).

Allen Bradford

Chris Fornataro

CJ Gable

Broderick Green

Stafon Johnson

Joe McKnight

Curtis McNeal

Marc Tyler

It's a shame that not all of these guys can play at the same time.

I hope you don't have me with that group because I try to give respect where it's due. And I don't know a whole lot about your other backs but I think USC & UGA are probably the deepest teams in the nation at RB (This is a guess without looking at other rosters).

Allen Bradford

Chris Fornataro

CJ Gable

Broderick Green

Stafon Johnson

Joe McKnight

Curtis McNeal

Marc Tyler

It's a shame that not all of these guys can play at the same time.

How can a team have that many rbs with just 85 scholarships? that's 10% of your roster in rbs alone. what areas are you guys light in or not as deep in due to having that many rbs? I know uga will have at most 5 guys. Also how can you guys get rbs to committ with that many rbs? Regarding uga we have the following rbs:

knowshon moreno

caleb king (#1 rb prospect in the nation before a broken leg his senior season. he is full recovered from that)

richard smauel (5 * and #2 in the country). He has been so awesome he is being compared to Darren Mcfadden.

Dontavious Jackson (#8 rb in the country) Guy had over 400 yards in a game in high school. Very talented kid.

Carlton Thomas (noel devine clone)

How can a team have that many rbs with just 85 scholarships? that's 10% of your roster in rbs alone. what areas are you guys light in or not as deep in due to having that many rbs? I know uga will have at most 5 guys. Also how can you guys get rbs to committ with that many rbs? Regarding uga we have the following rbs:

knowshon moreno

caleb king (#1 rb prospect in the nation before a broken leg his senior season. he is full recovered from that)

richard smauel (5 * and #2 in the country). He has been so awesome he is being compared to Darren Mcfadden.

Dontavious Jackson (#8 rb in the country) Guy had over 400 yards in a game in high school. Very talented kid.

Carlton Thomas (noel devine clone)

To be honest, we have solid depth all around. I thought I read that Curtis McNeal is having some academic issues getting into USC. And is there a date where you have to limit your roster by?

To be honest, we have solid depth all around. I thought I read that Curtis McNeal is having some academic issues getting into USC. And is there a date where you have to limit your roster by?

i think it's by august, but it's only scholarshps that half to be down to 85 by that point..

I'll say I was wrong if USC wins. It's just that you're so far from humble.

im humble as ****, Im just speaking the truth.. My team has dominated college football as a whole for this decade, thats all im saying..

Ohio State is semi cup cake, every person on here last yr during the season agreed with that now because Herbstreit tells you there not yall change ur mind, im not like that.. sorry..

obviously like I have said a million times before, any team can beat any team on any given day.. but if we lose to Ohio State I would be more shocked than losing to Stanford to be honest..