WHAT LOOKS PROMISING...

I was like many people who were kinda puzzled about the Falcons at draft time.

Dimitroff seemed to keep getting more and more LB's and DB's and seemingly neglecting the Falcons

most pressing needs which everyone figured to be the D line. It was later of course learned He was

drafting for the pass defense.

Of all the years I've been a Falcon fan there have been so many games where receivers looked wide

open or there was a complete breakdown in communication in the secondary. Here we have a PRESEASON

game and the Falcons secondary actually looked good and covering recievers close...what a shock for a

Falcon fan.

If Dimitroff can do with the Dline what He seems to have started with Lofton, Chevis Jackson, Thomas DeCoud,

Eric Coleman, Beirman and all the other secondary additions, the Falcons are gonna be very good after one

more draft.

I know it's early but we may find ourselves hurting in the pass rush department....I wonder if Dmitroff and Smith

are in the middle of a two year plan...or possibly a 3 year plan.....because I think it's safe to say the Falcons are

gonna be looking for DE and DT talent in next years draft.

Dimitroff seemed to keep getting more and more LB's and DB's and seemingly neglecting the Falcons

most pressing needs which everyone figured to be the D line. It was later of course learned He was

Of all the years I've been a Falcon fan there have been so many games where receivers looked wide

open or there was a complete breakdown in communication in the secondary. Here we have a PRESEASON

game and the Falcons secondary actually looked good and covering recievers close...what a shock for a

Falcon fan.

If Dimitroff can do with the Dline what He seems to have started with Lofton, Chevis Jackson, Thomas DeCoud,

Eric Coleman, Beirman and all the other secondary additions, the Falcons are gonna be very good after one

more draft.

I know it's early but we may find ourselves hurting in the pass rush department....I wonder if Dmitroff and Smith

are in the middle of a two year plan...or possibly a 3 year plan.....because I think it's safe to say the Falcons are

cool...lol at your sig btw

I hope that is true, but I find it hard to not find 1 DT in the entire draft. Plus, the secondary is best helped by a pass rush. The best defensive teams have a great pass rush, because no secondary can cover if the QB gets 10 seconds to throw the ball. I would assume the best idea would be to have drafted the LB's and DT's this year, and take the pressure off of the secondary.

But I hope what you say is right, and I really hope they are working on a few year plan. Or else, we are in trouble. ****, seriously, like one defensive tackle would have done wonders. Balmer in the 2nd round. Or just about anyone. ****, 2 we could switch out.

Sorry, still hoping for the best from out tackles though.

What I'd really like to know that you'll probably never get an honest answer to is.......

I'd like to know what Smith and Dimitroff say about Jamal Anderson if they're in a room by themselves and

don't have to give a politically correct answer.

Mike Smith has coached some very good D linemen....He knows a good one when he sees it.

New idea: Short of Matt Ryan overall, the draft was centered around corners, linebackers, safeties, and I guess tight ends.

Seems more like the needs of the Patriots. Maybe Dimitroff spent most of last season looking at the needs for the Pats, who needed an answer to an aging Rodney Harrison, the loss of pretty much all their corners, an old and aging crew of linebackers, etc. We get no defensive tackles (Wilfork in their 3-4 is solid), one offensive lineman (possible long shot after most other tackles were gone), which were both our most obvious needs. Also another WR (who I like BTW) at one of our most solid positions, and same with RB, but Pats could use a change of pace back and another WR considering they don't sign most of those guys more than 1 year (Stallworth)

With that, it makes sense, if Dimitroff was spending years following the needs of the Pats and years following the guys who would fit those. While it might still be a very solid draft, I could understand it much better if Dimitroff was looking at a certain group of guys for 6 months to 2 years before he ever got our GM job.

Wow, I just blew my mind. Does this make sense to anyone else?

New idea: Short of Matt Ryan overall, the draft was centered around corners, linebackers, safeties, and I guess tight ends.

Seems more like the needs of the Patriots. Maybe Dimitroff spent most of last season looking at the needs for the Pats, who needed an answer to an aging Rodney Harrison, the loss of pretty much all their corners, an old and aging crew of linebackers, etc. We get no defensive tackles (Wilfork in their 3-4 is solid), one offensive lineman (possible long shot after most other tackles were gone), which were both our most obvious needs. Also another WR (who I like BTW) at one of our most solid positions, and same with RB, but Pats could use a change of pace back and another WR considering they don't sign most of those guys more than 1 year (Stallworth)

With that, it makes sense, if Dimitroff was spending years following the needs of the Pats and years following the guys who would fit those. While it might still be a very solid draft, I could understand it much better if Dimitroff was looking at a certain group of guys for 6 months to 2 years before he ever got our GM job.

yea

You could be right.

Makes a lot of sense actually. Those have to be the positions that TD had to have the best feel of come draft day. But I'm sure he put in his due diligence on the other positions as well. He had the time, and we had other scouts that should have had a feel for the other positions too.

But considering what you've said, and the recent AJC article on TD & what he's been doing with the scouts this summer to get them all on the same page, it's possible that he made this draft where he was the most comfortable & those are the positions where the majority of our picks played.

Makes a lot of sense actually. Those have to be the positions that TD had to have the best feel of come draft day. But I'm sure he put in his due diligence on the other positions as well. He had the time, and we had other scouts that should have had a feel for the other positions too.

But considering what you've said, and the recent AJC article on TD & what he's been doing with the scouts this summer to get them all on the same page, it's possible that he made this draft where he was the most comfortable & those are the positions where the majority of our picks played.

I think Dimitroff is too smart to just play his past strengths (secondary, which he made good picks I think). amd bring that to Atlanta.

Sometimes you just ought to consider taking people for their word, they said they didn't like what they saw at DT and picked elsewhere.

But one way or the other, free agency or draft, we got to get some D linemen somewhere.

i don't buy into the notion that TD knew mostly about the LB's and DB's. front office guys spend their entire work day studying film and evaluating all positions. TD said it in his post draft interview that 'you can never have too many LB's and DB's especially for special teams.'

he also stated that he felt the talent level dropped a lot after the 1st round for DT and DE in this year's draft. now, DL is our biggest weakness, but i'd rather him draft lofton in the 2nd round than reach for a DT if he thinks that lofton is a better player.

Falcon fan.

more draft.

It had to be a two or three year plan<. It wasn't even remotely possible that all holes everywhere would be filled this year.

I hope that is true, but I find it hard to not find 1 DT in the entire draft. Plus, the secondary is best helped by a pass rush. The best defensive teams have a great pass rush, because no secondary can cover if the QB gets 10 seconds to throw the ball. I would assume the best idea would be to have drafted the LB's and DT's this year, and take the pressure off of the secondary.

But I hope what you say is right, and I really hope they are working on a few year plan. Or else, we are in trouble. ****, seriously, like one defensive tackle would have done wonders. Balmer in the 2nd round. Or just about anyone. ****, 2 we could switch out.

Sorry, still hoping for the best from out tackles though.

Tampa Bay has as good a record as any when it comes to evaluating D linemen, and they saw enough in Dre Moore to draft him in the third round. At least two of Atlanta's third round picks came before Tampa Bay's, right....and while I will not say we wasted them on the guys we got, maybe we should have gone after Moore ourselves.

Other than that, its hard not to see spending a late round pick on an O or D lineman instead of a special teams guy like Dimitroff said he was doing. After all Grady Jackson was a former fifth round pick if I am not mistaken....and he has been well worth it. Travis Hall was a sixth or seventh round pick, and he was one of the best in the NFL at one time. And if you use a late round pick on a lineman and miss, what have you really lost?

D line has been an issue for the Falcons for the past five or six years, except for one very brief moment when we had an outstanding line in 2006, before injuries hit. That line lasted most of just one game.

I surely do hope Dimitroff brought one Patriot trend with him, and it is this: New England believes in drafting lineman very early in the draft. Thier D line boasts three former First Round Picks. Thier O line has at least one. Most of them are Pro Bowlers.

We could sure use that kind of drafting philosophy and success here.....

i don't buy into the notion that TD knew mostly about the LB's and DB's. front office guys spend their entire work day studying film and evaluating all positions. TD said it in his post draft interview that 'you can never have too many LB's and DB's especially for special teams.'

he also stated that he felt the talent level dropped a lot after the 1st round for DT and DE in this year's draft. now, DL is our biggest weakness, but i'd rather him draft lofton in the 2nd round than reach for a DT if he thinks that lofton is a better player.

That's fine, up to a point...that point being, if you have players at a position and you have needs elsewhere, you simply cannot ignore your needs but for so long. Next draft our team simply must address our lines, or this team will not ever improve.

Tampa Bay has as good a record as any when it comes to evaluating D linemen, and they saw enough in Dre Moore to draft him in the third round. At least two of Atlanta's third round picks came before Tampa Bay's, right....and while I will not say we wasted them on the guys we got, maybe we should have gone after Moore ourselves.

Other than that, its hard not to see spending a late round pick on an O or D lineman instead of a special teams guy like Dimitroff said he was doing. After all Grady Jackson was a former fifth round pick if I am not mistaken....and he has been well worth it. Travis Hall was a sixth or seventh round pick, and he was one of the best in the NFL at one time. And if you use a late round pick on a lineman and miss, what have you really lost?

D line has been an issue for the Falcons for the past five or six years, except for one very brief moment when we had an outstanding line in 2006, before injuries hit. That line lasted most of just one game.

I surely do hope Dimitroff brought one Patriot trend with him, and it is this: New England believes in drafting lineman very early in the draft. Thier D line boasts three former First Round Picks. Thier O line has at least one. Most of them are Pro Bowlers.

We could sure use that kind of drafting philosophy and success here.....

Amen brother....football is won on the line of scrimmage.

The free agents we added and Lofton were the means they used to strengthen

us up the middle. Now big Grady has been brought back. In my opinion he is out

of any kind of football shape and was getting overpowered in the game. Fat he is

strong he ain't. Maybe he will round into playing form by mid-season. Or maybe he

is done. Watch that waiver wire TD.

The free agents we added and Lofton were the means they used to strengthen

us up the middle. Now big Grady has been brought back. In my opinion he is out

of any kind of football shape and was getting overpowered in the game. Fat he is

strong he ain't. Maybe he will round into playing form by mid-season. Or maybe he

is done. Watch that waiver wire TD.

Grady's greatest value is that he commands a double-team..because of how "fat he is"

Grady's greatest value is that he commands a double-team..because of how "fat he is"

The theory is good if it really took two to stop him. I watched him get whipped by

one man and once all that fat started flowing in the wrong direction he just fell

over on his side. I am just saying keep looking TD because this guy is mostly just

a fat man. That is not in the new "paradigm" to have somebody who can't even

walk let alone run make this team.

The theory is good if it really took two to stop him. I watched him get whipped by

one man and once all that fat started flowing in the wrong direction he just fell

over on his side. I am just saying keep looking TD because this guy is mostly just

a fat man. That is not in the new "paradigm" to have somebody who can't even

walk let alone run make this team.

The fat guy is the best we got. And I'm sure every defensive (or offensive) lineman gets schooled. And I don't like that some late FA is our best player on DT. He has played well, and was picked up by a team with great defensive tackles (and I know because one of them tested positive for steroids and was suspended for 4 games, but their depth wasn't better than a FA at vet minimum) Our depth looks like a solid bit of mediocre. Not bad, but solid mediocre. Jackson has shown he can take the double teams, and if not, we can cut him midseason again, because he is cheaper than most of our other players.

And yes, TD should keep looking, no one would argue that we are set at DT.