Any minds changed

After now seeing a hint of things to come, do people still think we need to draft a WR or LT with our first pick in next years draft. Baker appears to be solid and White should be a Pro Bowler. Yes I know it was the first preseason game, but there is no reason to believe that what you seen will be not be what you get. Barring a couple of tweaks to the O-Line which can be address in later rounds, the offense looked pretty good in all positions, running game was solid, wr core appears to be much improved and no matter what you think about Ryan we looked the part.

If anyone knows me, knows I want a play making SS first and a stud at DT. Mays and Oghobaase should be our first two pick if we can get them and Loadholt or Louis Vasquez in the third.

It's 1 preseason game. Let's wait a bit. But taking Mays top 10 would be a huge mistake IMO.

Heck, since we're going on 1 preseason game, Darrin Stone was playing well and laying the wood last night. Maybe we won't need to draft our next SS, he might already be here.

Like my friend Robb4242 said, "lets wait a bit". If Sam Baker can get by our division rivals

facing Will Smith, Julius Peppers, and Gaines Adams, I'll be convinced.

As for Roddy White making the Pro Bowl, beating out players like Terrell Owens and

Larry Fitzgerald will be a challenge as well.

So they only allow two wr in the Pro Bowl, last year with no coach and three quarterback changes he was third in receiving yards and appears to be much better this year. What wr in the NFC top five can say that? TO is a stud but a year older. I don't doubt Fitzgerald. But Colson number will go down with the addidtion on Shockley and Meachem. I'll take White over another wr now.

I definitely don't want a WR in the first day of the 2009 draft.

Roddy is a legitimate #1 receiver, Laurent will be a very good #2, and Harry is the ideal slot receiver. Jenkins is likely to leave, and we will need to draft a WR at some point in the draft, but definitely not in the first day.

As for LT, it remains to be seen how Baker does. He's likely to struggle some in his first year, even if he ends up being a pro-bowler in a few years time. If he's solid, I think we still have our options open. If a premium LT happens to be available at our pick - Oher, Monroe, Andre Smith - then we have the option of taking him, and moving Baker to RT or RG or even C. One of Baker's great attributes is his versatility.

If that happens, it wouldn't even make the selection of Baker a bust. The 22nd pick is a reasonable place (perhaps a few places too high, but not much) to select a good RT or RG, and that is what Baker would be (in my opinion). Especially one who can play well at LT if required...

Ideally, in my opinion, we draft around 10-12, and take the best available DT. Then we draft a RT/RG in the 2nd. And a safety in the third. If Mays has a great season and is available, then fine, take him. But I expect Coleman to be a long-term starter, and I'm confident that one of Stone or DeCoud has serious starting potential.

I do not like Mays at all. I hope Baker turns out well, but in recent years USC skill players have had a rough transition to the NFL. Mays just screams Jimmy Williams. I don't like his ball skills and he is a bit of a tweener. I like that he brings the wood, but after watching Williams bust I would be hesitant to go after someone like Mays.

One player that I have my eye on this season is Derek Pugues (second round). He plays FS for Mississippi State. He is somewhat undersized for a FS, but he is built a lot like Bob Sanders/ Reggie Nelson. I'm pretty sure Mike Smith loved having a center fielder like Nelson in the secondary when he was in Jacksonville, and adding someone like Pugues to learn behind Erik Coleman and return kicks his first year would be a great move.

Pugues might be undersized, but he is lightning quick, and has great ball skills. He could even come over the top and match up well in Man on Smaller slot receivers.

Return for a TD:

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Pick Six Brandon Cox:

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

First Pick in Bowl Game:

Second Pick in Bowl Game:

Great play on the ball:

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

">

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Great Hit.... Bad Call

Pick John Parker Wilson:

Depending on where we pick I would much rather continue to rebuild the offensive and defensive lines. I'm not much of a Fili Moala fan either, If we can add a stud NT in FA, and then pick up a developmental UT later in the draft I would love to pick a OG or RT in the first round. Andre Smith, Phil Loadholt, Alex Boone are all high on my list. Duke Robinson or Alex Boone would both make me really happy

Like my friend Robb4242 said, "lets wait a bit". If Sam Baker can get by our division rivals

As for Roddy White making the Pro Bowl, beating out players like Terrell Owens and

i dont really expect roddy to be in the pro-bowl because hes not as well known as TO or Fitz, but i expect him to play at that level and maybe be considered a snub, if that makes sense.

and i agree, lets wait. i hope sam baker does great, and i think he will be a good LT for us for the next 10 years. however, concluding that that instance is a certainty or that we wont need a LT in a stacked draft of them next year is a wild stretch after one preseason game. i am also very anxious to see how he does against will smith, whoever is at RE for the panthers now (peppers is a LE i thought... but they do move him around) and gaines adams from the bucs though. hopefully he plays well against them, or at least well enough to make me and other fans happy. :D

I do not like Mays at all. I hope Baker turns out well, but in recent years USC skill players have had a rough transition to the NFL. Mays just screams Jimmy Williams. I don't like his ball skills and he is a bit of a tweener. I like that he brings the wood, but after watching Williams bust I would be hesitant to go after someone like Mays.

One player that I have my eye on this season is Derek Pugues (second round). He plays FS for Mississippi State. He is somewhat undersized for a FS, but he is built a lot like Bob Sanders/ Reggie Nelson. I'm pretty sure Mike Smith loved having a center fielder like Nelson in the secondary when he was in Jacksonville, and adding someone like Pugues to learn behind Erik Coleman and return kicks his first year would be a great move.

Pugues might be undersized, but he is lightning quick, and has great ball skills. He could even come over the top and match up well in Man on Smaller slot receivers.

Depending on where we pick I would much rather continue to rebuild the offensive and defensive lines. I'm not much of a Fili Moala fan either, If we can add a stud NT in FA, and then pick up a developmental UT later in the draft I would love to pick a OG or RT in the first round. Andre Smith, Phil Loadholt, Alex Boone are all high on my list. Duke Robinson or Alex Boone would both make me really happy

its your opinion on mays, but the only similarities they have as far as i can tell is that they are both big with good size and athleticism for the position and they both hit fairly well (at least comparatively). jimmys problem was his attitude and that he thought he was the sh** and didnt have to stay in shape. that was his problem and thats why hes not on the team anymore. not to mention he had off field issues. if mays has attitude problems and doesnt work hard (like jimmy didnt) then i dont want him. if he has off-field issues like possession of weed and other stupid sh**, then i dont want him. but as far as i know that isnt the case and all we have to be concerned about is what pick he is worth in the top 10-15, not whether or not he should be on our radar.

though those videos were quite intriguing, thanks for posting them. im not a mays obsessor like some guys on here (perhaps thats not the right word, but im not "on the bandwagon" as you might say) but to write him off because he reminds you of another guy who WASTED his talent for weed and apparently fast food when they only share similar builds is a mistake imo.

It's 1 preseason game. Let's wait a bit. But taking Mays top 10 would be a huge mistake IMO.

Heck, since we're going on 1 preseason game, Darrin Stone was playing well and laying the wood last night. Maybe we won't need to draft our next SS, he might already be here.

Robb , I agree with your Sig! That guy is more dangerous than Iran ! And I'm not kidding . The guy makes jokes about the Holy Bible and the Sermon on the Mount and says that the Bible is not fot today taking all 3 passages out of context. Makes me shiver to think what might happen if that Dude gets in office . I think people are starting to see what he really is .

i dont really expect roddy to be in the pro-bowl because hes not as well known as TO or Fitz, but i expect him to play at that level and maybe be considered a snub, if that makes sense.

and i agree, lets wait. i hope sam baker does great, and i think he will be a good LT for us for the next 10 years. however, concluding that that instance is a certainty or that we wont need a LT in a stacked draft of them next year is a wild stretch after one preseason game. i am also very anxious to see how he does against will smith, whoever is at RE for the panthers now (peppers is a LE i thought... but they do move him around) and gaines adams from the bucs though. hopefully he plays well against them, or at least well enough to make me and other fans happy. :D

I think I should clarify that I don't like Mays simply because he reminds me of Jimmy although that is a big contributor, my main issue with him is his ball skills. I haven't seen near enough tape on him, but the times I have seen him I have noticed that he seems to prefer to go for the knockout blow, rather then the INT. Its great to have someone put fear in the WR's over the middle; however, in our Cover 2 defense I think our safties need to have nice ball skills, and good closing speed. I like Pugues because he possesses those traits.

My opinion on Mays could possibly change when I see more film on him this year. I didn't really make it a point to watch him last year, so I only vaguely recall his play. It might be unfair for me to even give an evaluation of him right now, but I was doing so just for the sake of conversation.

dont worry man i wasnt trying to jump you or anything. but yeah its more clear now that you clarified your first post with the second one. and i agree i havent seen much film of him either, and im not a huge fan of his. im a trenches guy, so ill always lean in that direction before the secondary or safetys like mays.

thats just me though. and thanks for the interesting discussion, ill have to see what i think of his ball skills this year when i watch him. :)

dont worry man i wasnt trying to jump you or anything. but yeah its more clear now that you clarified your first post with the second one. and i agree i havent seen much film of him either, and im not a huge fan of his. im a trenches guy, so ill always lean in that direction before the secondary or safetys like mays.

thats just me though. and thanks for the interesting discussion, ill have to see what i think of his ball skills this year when i watch him. :)

I am the same way... quality safeties always tend to fall in the draft, and if we can supplement our team with a quality offensive/ defensive linemen early on it will benefit us in the long run. Last year I was banging my hands on the table for Jake Long... obviously we didn't have a shot at him, but my next choice was Baker. I even had him in my final mock (along with Lofton and Ryan). Like most here, I have been pleasantly surprised with him.

Someone who has disappointed me more then anyone else on this team is Jamaal Anderson. I wanted him when we drafted him, but it is looking like Okoye was a much much better option. Hopefully he turns it around, but so far from what I have seen in the preseason, offensive line/ defensive tackle are not the biggest need... our biggest need is another pass rusher that is a threat off the edge.

i am 100% with you on okoye over JA man. i was 100% for drafting okoye, i wanted him so badly. too bad though... he helped mario williams out tremendously last year.

anyways, im on board with you as far as another pass rusher. im not wild about michael johnson from GT (he should have a good year though) but im intrigued by george selvie and brian orakpo (USF and texas respectively). but im not sure what wed do about LE if JA doesnt get it together since those guys are more RE types...

yeah i had baker and lofton in a LOT of my mocks too, i loved both of those picks. and while i was 100% against ryan (i love brohm) before the draft once i got to Winter Park (internship with the vikings during the summer) and got to watch the tape of him i did a 180. and now im just pleased as punch i got behind him when we picked him because he is proving to be a special guy. im so excited for him and for the future of our team. :)

i am 100% with you on okoye over JA man. i was 100% for drafting okoye, i wanted him so badly. too bad though... he helped mario williams out tremendously last year.

anyways, im on board with you as far as another pass rusher. im not wild about michael johnson from GT (he should have a good year though) but im intrigued by george selvie and brian orakpo (USF and texas respectively). but im not sure what wed do about LE if JA doesnt get it together since those guys are more RE types...

yeah i had baker and lofton in a LOT of my mocks too, i loved both of those picks. and while i was 100% against ryan (i love brohm) before the draft once i got to Winter Park (internship with the vikings during the summer) and got to watch the tape of him i did a 180. and now im just pleased as punch i got behind him when we picked him because he is proving to be a special guy. im so excited for him and for the future of our team. :)

what was the nature of your internship with the vikings? I am going to school to be an engineer but my absolute dream job would be to work for an nfl team. I just love football, and I wish I could be around it more!

what was the nature of your internship with the vikings? I am going to school to be an engineer but my absolute dream job would be to work for an nfl team. I just love football, and I wish I could be around it more!

well i didnt get to meet any of the players or anything but most every day id get up and head over there around 10 or 11 am (depending on what my advisor felt like, haha) and id just drive 10 minutes from my house to winter park, walk in with him and wed hang out and watch all the film i could possibly imagine of nfl draft prospects from this past year. occasionally scouts would be able to come in and i could bounce questions off of them or whatever (about how they got their job, etc. if you have any questions feel free to pm me i could try and answer them based off of what i asked him). other than that i just watched as much film as i could handle every day (or until my advisor had a conflict and we had to split). and he burned me the film of the falcons draft picks (i watched the ryan film a LOT on my big screen in my basement) so i could take them home, which i am pretty sure is frowned upon but since the vikes didnt draft them he didnt think it mattered. :lol:

anyways, yeah. it was a fun gig and i hope ill be able to get a job in the NFL someday too. scott24falcons has the same dream, so yeah. were just a bunch of dreamers in this forum! :P

I hate to keep bring this arguement up but after 4 preseason games and Baker looking pretty solid in all od them. We are 5 deep in wrs, I heard alot of people on this board screaming for a wr or ol in the first. Right now they are looking like two of our strongest positions. Any minds have been change so far?

im still excited about it. i never wanted a WR in round 1, but it would have been hard to pass up oher or smith early in the 1st.

now id much rather look towards the defensive line (DE or DT). thats where our big ? is right now, along with the secondary. but thats just because houston, jackson and grimes are all so young, not to mention the injury to hutchins and irons is young also, same with adams.

im excited by decoud and stone though, not to mention coleman has looked great.

TE may end up being a need depending on how those guys all do. well just have to see.

LT and WR seem to be fairly well established now though, im excited. :)

• 2 weeks later...

If the line continues to impress, I say we need a legit young target at TE... if he wasn't such a character concern I would love Brandon Pettigrew from Oklahoma St. He is a huge target, that would fit our scheme very well.

Depending on how Trey Lewis comes back will dictate on if we go NT or UT early... If he comes back and is solid I would love to look at Vince Oghobaase. at 310lbs this is a good character guy, and he is very athletic for his size. of course i am pretty much reading the scouting report.... it will be hard for me to find the time to scout Duke football :rolleyes:

If Lewis does not come back good... or even if he does and we feel Grady is too old; I would love to look at B.J. Raji from BC. I know he has had an issue with his grades, but the way I heard it explained during the GT/BC game made it sound like it wasn't really his fault... It had something to do with an hour miscalculation for a summer class. Thats why he had to miss all last season :(