Notes From Todays Last Open Practice: Friday 8/8

NewFalcon

The Falcons went through a two hour session this morning, in preparation for the Jacksonville game tomorrow. The players went through offensive and defensive formations/drills without pads, helmets or contact--and no one rushed the passers as they went through some 11 on 11 drills. Here are some of my observations on the last day of TC that was open to the public:

Chris Redman again took most of the snaps with the first team and he looked even better than he did on the first day of TC: very poised, steady and strong. He seems to always be on-time with the ball, and hits receivers in stride: giving them the chance for earning some YAK. Chris doesn't seem to 'telegraph' his intent to hit a particular receiver: he gives everyone a read, and then tosses an accurate pass to his target.

Matt Ryan took as many snaps as Joey Harrington today. Matt looked better than he did on his first day of TC (although he didn't look bad then), and he also made some nice throws. There was one really nice slant to Harry Douglas that hit Harry in the hands exactly as he was coming out of his break. Roddy bailed Matt out on one slightly overthrown ball that Roddy reached up and snatched out of the air in the end zone. Roddy definitely looks to be stronger this season.

Joey had some bright red shoes working for him today, but they didn't seem to help or hurt him in any area except as an on-field fashion statement. He was very workman-like in his performance: very steady, no mistakes, but nothing spectacular.

DJ got far fewer reps than the other QB's today and he was more accurate than he had been on the first day of TC, with the exception of one particularly bizarre pass (not quite sure anyone knew where it was intended to go...). I noticed that the coaches were stopping the action and making corrections/adjustments often during DJ's snaps today: something they were not doing when Chris, Matt and Joey were out there. The fact that DJ was working with the 2nd/3rd string players probably contributed to the extra coaching.

Lots of work on kickoff returns today (offensive and defensive) and especially in setting up the blocking for the returners. There were some comical moments during a few fake FG attempts.

As always, many players came to the sidelines after practice to visit with fans and sign autographs, including Matt, Sam, Harry Douglas and Grady. I had a chance to chat briefly with Harry and Grady: Harry is smaller than you would think, and Grady....is waaaaay bigger.

Ready or not: Jacksonville, here we come!

I saw on NFLN that I suffer from DFS (Displaced Fan Syndrome). I've never been to the ATL but I'd like to some time....And SoCal > ATL. B)

Ha ha, I saw that to with the Manning's. I found it rather funny :lol: The packer fan that was curled up crying is pretty funny for the situation right now as well, bet they didn't think that through, or did they?

I saw on NFLN that I suffer from DFS (Displaced Fan Syndrome). I've never been to the ATL but I'd like to some time....And SoCal > ATL. B)

Never been to SoCal but I would probably Agree. I lived right outside of Athens in a town called Winder before I got Stationed here and I aint gonna lie... I HATE driving to Atlanta. You get off 85, good luck getting back on :lol:

Never been to SoCal but I would probably Agree. I lived right outside of Athens in a town called Winder before I got Stationed here and I aint gonna lie... I HATE driving to Atlanta. You get off 85, good luck getting back on :lol:

hey you live in winder GA?? thats where i go play paintball. DGS paintball is over there. best prices lots of places to play, but yea sometimes you got to be a mad driver to get around the A, and be Lucky.