Dogs strap on the pads, prepare to hit.

SacFalcFan

Dogs strap on the pads, prepare to hit

By Chip Towers | Friday, August 8, 2008, 10:25 AM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Preseason practices are about to get a lot more interesting. Today will be the No. 1-ranked Georgia Bulldogs’ first day in full pads. They’re actually not allowed to tackle until the sixth practice (today is No. 5) but CMR says they’ll utilize the day to “get used to carry their pads,” which can take some getting used to sometimes.

Tomorrow will be the first day of two-a-days and full-fledged, full contact. That will be followed by the first scrimmage on Monday (actually two, a special teams scrimmage in the morning and a full-team scrimmage in the afternoon). Essentially it will be from Saturday until the next Saturday (Aug. 16, which is Fans Picture Day) that it will be determined who’s going to play and not play in the opener against Georgia Southern. After that the Dogs will start getting down and dirty with their game plan.

So this is when it starts getting fun folks. Be sure to pay attention and visit us often because I’ll be continually bringing you football news in this space.

On that note, we’ve decided to make this blog more of a one-stop shopping experience for our loyal readers. So like I do every morning I’ll be checking out all the different sites that cover Georgia. Only now I’ll be sharing links here to the ones I think might be of interest to you, may have something we don’t or maybe had something that I feel may be worthy of discussion here. The hope is that you’ll visit us regularly throughout the season knowing that most of what’s pertinent about all things Georgia can be found right here.

So …

My buddy Scott Michaux of the Augusta Chronicle wrote a great column about PGA Tour player Bubba Watson returning to Georgia to finish his degree. It’s another story in the continuing efforts of UGA to get all its athletes, past and present, to graduate whether they count toward the schools graduation rate or not, which Watson won’t… .

I’ve gotten to know Frank Ros, captain of the 1980 national championship team, pretty well over the years as I’ve continually had to call on him for perspective pieces. Anyway, it was nice to be able to reminisce with him on the sidelines yesterday as he watched his son Bryce Ros practice from a considerable distance away. Frank explained that he didn’t even want Bryce to know he was there, understandable considering the rather long shadow he could cast on his son. I’m not planning on writing anything about Bryce, who is playing tight end, anytime soon but here’s a nice piece from Anthony Dasher over at Rivals’ Georgia site (WARNING, this is a pay site so I apologize if you can’t get in).

Proving it’s never too early to rate players — well, actually it IS too early IMHO — our good friend Dean Legge over at Scout’s UGA site has decided to give (pay site warning) letter grades to the incoming freshmen so far. From my perspective I haven’t seen nearly enough of the freshmen four practices in to recite their jersey numbers much less give them a performance grade. But, hey, he was willing to do it so you might as well see what you think.

You think Georgia has been having injury issues? Check out what’s going on at Auburn and Florida. Both have already lost starters for the season to knee injuries. But don’t start counting the Dogs’ good fortunes. It’s early in camp and what comes around usually goes around in SEC football.

Well, that’s all for now. Hope y’all like the new philosophy.

Article