Falcons sign linebacker, place James on IR

Norwood32

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/News/Article...ames_on_IR.aspx

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- The Atlanta Falcons today signed linebacker Mickey Pimentel and placed linebacker Robert James on injured reserve.

Pimentel, 6-2, 238 pounds, was originally signed as an undrafted rookie free agent by the Carolina Panthers in May of 2007, but was waived following training camp on September 1, 2007. He remained unsigned until December 12, 2007 when the Kansas City Chiefs signed him to the practice squad where he spent the rest of the season. Pimentel competed at the University of California for two years after transferring from Pima Community College. In his senior campaign with the Golden Bears, he appeared in 13 games and ranked third on the team with 64 tackles (28 solo), 4.5 sacks, five passes defensed and one interception returned for a touchdown.

James, 5-11, 218 pounds, was selected in the fifth round (138th overall) by the Falcons in the 2008 NFL Draft. The Arizona State graduate started 19 of 42 games in his collegiate career and contributed with 174 tackles (102 solo), 5.5 sacks, 20 tackles for loss, two forced fumbles, eight passes defensed and five interceptions.

The Falcons will battle the Jacksonville Jaguars in the preseason opener at Jacksonville Municipal Stadium on Saturday, August 9. The game will be shown locally on WATL-TV with coverage starting at 7 p.m. Fans can also listen to the game on the Falcons flagship radio station, 92.9 dave FM.

He was not a wasted pick, he is injured.

He was not a wasted pick, he is injured.

He was a wasted pick because he was injured coming into the draft. Guys with concussions don't stop running into things once they enter the NFL. I can count on one hand how many guys recovered from this with fingers to spare. We burned the pick. It's not the end of the world, but pretending like we didn't is counter-intuitive.

He was a wasted pick because he was injured coming into the draft. Guys with concussions don't stop running into things once they enter the NFL. I can count on one hand how many guys recovered from this with fingers to spare. We burned the pick. It's not the end of the world, but pretending like we didn't is counter-intuitive.

I didn't know he was injured in college.

This is from his NFLDS scouting report:

"Negatives: Plays too shallow at times, negating his deep coverage skills...Appears more comfortable as a drag-down tackler and needs to show better arm extension in attempts to wrap up, but takes proper angles in pursuit to compensate...Gets suckered out of position at times, as he will bite on play-action and misdirection...Will finesse rather than try to maul blockers, which results in him getting tied up by some blocks when trying to shed... Better flowing to the play-side than from behind...Drives for depth with good angle in his pass drops, but keeps his feet a little narrow handling the switch-off in the zone...Freelances often and might not have good success playing in a structured defense...Has good strength to impact ballcarriers, but his lack of bulk and size sees him engulfed by larger blockers and he struggles vs. double teams when playing at the X's...More quick than fast and might not have the pure speed to run with receivers in the deep third of the field (for a possible move to safety)...2007 was his only season of note, as he failed to get much playing time his first four years, despite playing with one of the more mediocre units in college...Missed close to half of the 2006 season with a concussion and further medical evaluation might be warranted."

We blew it. We'll get over it, but this wasn't a good pick by our new scouting department.

"Negatives: Plays too shallow at times, negating his deep coverage skills...Appears more comfortable as a drag-down tackler and needs to show better arm extension in attempts to wrap up, but takes proper angles in pursuit to compensate...Gets suckered out of position at times, as he will bite on play-action and misdirection...Will finesse rather than try to maul blockers, which results in him getting tied up by some blocks when trying to shed... Better flowing to the play-side than from behind...Drives for depth with good angle in his pass drops, but keeps his feet a little narrow handling the switch-off in the zone...Freelances often and might not have good success playing in a structured defense...Has good strength to impact ballcarriers, but his lack of bulk and size sees him engulfed by larger blockers and he struggles vs. double teams when playing at the X's...More quick than fast and might not have the pure speed to run with receivers in the deep third of the field (for a possible move to safety)...2007 was his only season of note, as he failed to get much playing time his first four years, despite playing with one of the more mediocre units in college...Missed close to half of the 2006 season with a concussion and further medical evaluation might be warranted."

We blew it. We'll get over it, but this wasn't a good pick by our new scouting department.

that was in 06...how could he still be suffering from that?!?

james has had a history of migraine which he played through during college. his will power is what makes him an asset. i think the migraines are getting the best of him for the time being. the bigger, faster, and stronger competition isn't gonna make those migraines any better either. the guy is still a great competitor, and i would have him on my team any day if he's able to compete.

james has had a history of migraine which he played through during college. his will power is what makes him an asset. i think the migraines are getting the best of him for the time being. the bigger, faster, and stronger competition isn't gonna make those migraines any better either. the guy is still a great competitor, and i would have him on my team any day if he's able to compete.

yeah i read about his migranes...cant he take something for them?

that was in 06...how could he still be suffering from that?!?

Football players who suffer concussions this serious have problems with them the rest of their lives. Football simply magnifies the issue and gives them the additional risk of brain damage.

That right fire TD! Seriously. I don't think I have ever heard anyone use blew it with a fifth round selection before. It amazes me how we have so many "fans" criticize everything we do! This is not Philly or NY. News flash everyone draft in this years will be a Pro Bowler or a Hall of Famer even in the fifth round.

That right fire TD! Seriously. I don't think I have ever heard anyone use blew it with a fifth round selection before. It amazes me how we have so many "fans" criticize everything we do! This is not Philly or NY. News flash everyone draft in this years will be a Pro Bowler or a Hall of Famer even in the fifth round.

News flash: our second best defensive player is a fifth round pick. And it amazes me how we have so many "fans" who are uber-defensive about everything we do. It's okay to be honest. Really, that's a good life lesson for you. We took a chance on a guy with a history of concussions and we blew it in the process. You can say that without suddenly finding yourself in a Tampa Bay jersey.