Skip Caray (1939-2008)

What a peaceful time I had as a kid in the 80's, listening to Skip at night in the summertime. Regular season baseball is so long & calm it takes a personality to keep it going & that's what he had. It used to be so funny when he would make fun of the upcoming late movie on WTBS, or with sarcasm apologize for delaying Night Tracks... ;)

• 3 years later...

Nothing against the guys broadcating now but it just isn't the same to me without Skip and Pete. Growing up in a small town, listening to Braves broadcasts was a treat. To have familiar voices every game describe the it made it even better. Skip's personality and sense of humor could make the most boring games entertaining...of course Pete would keep everything on track. i miss them both.

Edited by AEFalcon

Nothing against the guys broadcating now but it just isn't the same to me without Skip and Pete. Growing up in a small town, listening to Braves broadcasts was a treat. To have familiar voices every game describe the it made it even better. Skip's personality and sense of humor could make the most boring games entertaining...of course Pete would keep everything on track. i miss them both.

There was nothing like trying to stay awake at night for the west coast games and listening to Skip and Pete. Great memories.

I grew to appreciate Skip. Back in the day, there was all the allusions to his drinking, how high he was the night before and how long the current game was going. I got pretty tired of that. Later on he moved past that and was much more pleasant to listen to. The one thing that made me his fan was the day I was listening to a Braves game on the radio as I was driving. When Skip came over to the radio side (as they used to switch over in those days) the game came alive. His descriptions were so good that it was almost like being able to see the game. I was 100% a fan of his from then on.

And I always appreciated the Goody's Headache Powder contest when a player would be batting for "John Smith, who lives in a Post Office box in Roswell" :)

When a fan caught a foul ball, Skip always knew exactly who it was "Nicely fielded by fan from La Grange, GA....." :D

I grew to appreciate Skip. Back in the day, there was all the allusions to his drinking, how high he was the night before and how long the current game was going. I got pretty tired of that. Later on he moved past that and was much more pleasant to listen to. The one thing that made me his fan was the day I was listening to a Braves game on the radio as I was driving. When Skip came over to the radio side (as they used to switch over in those days) the game came alive. His descriptions were so good that it was almost like being able to see the game. I was 100% a fan of his from then on.

And I always appreciated the Goody's Headache Powder contest when a player would be batting for "John Smith, who lives in a Post Office box in Roswell" smile.png

When a fan caught a foul ball, Skip always knew exactly who it was "Nicely fielded by fan from La Grange, GA....." :D

And if a fan misplayed a ball he was quick to point out that it was a fan of the other team. That Braves fans are good fielding fans.

I loved his home run calls. Chip just doesn't have quite that voice that Skip had. I became a fan of baseball after the worst to first season and have followed the Braves ever since. He did bring a certain life to the games that Skip Chip doesn't quite have (maybe yet).

fixed - I'm pretty sure that's what you meant..............