Jerry Glanville's "Gritz Blitz" Defense

Jedi-Falcon

For you younger fans who may not remember or been born yet, look take a look back at the NFL's Greatest All-Time Defense. In 1977 this unit allowed fewer points-per-game than the '85 Bears, or the 2000-something Ravens. No team in NFL History has ever matched what Glanville's squad accomplished. Too bad the Falcon Offense sucked balls that season, but oh well...Enjoy.

Skip forward the Giants footage at the beginning. I don't know why that is there.

Wow... One more thing that makes me glad to be a Falcons fan... I never even knew about that. Now the nest time the 85 Bears comes up, I can tell people who the REAL top Defense of all time is... Great post man. Made my week.

Wow that's incredible you never knew that. Actually, few people do. My pleasure to educate everyone on some Falcon History to be proud of!

:)

In some ways, I'm glad I never saw that. Do you know how infuriating it would be to have that frickin' awesome a defense, and still lose 7 games!!

I was 7 years old that season and can barely, vaguely, remember watching them on a brand new color tv (lol). Too bad the Offense was terrible that season, otherwise they would have won the SB easily. No Offense in the NFL stood a chance against that Falcon team that year.

I was 7 years old that season and can barely, vaguely, remember watching them on a brand new color tv (lol). Too bad the Offense was terrible that season, otherwise they would have won the SB easily. No Offense in the NFL stood a chance against that Falcon team that year.

proves that defense ALONE does not win championships :(

Let me ask you this b/c I was born in 1979, so obviously didn't see the Gritzblitz first hand. Was it more the talent on the D or Glanville's scheme or both. I've heard it pretty much didn't work the following season b/c teams were ready for the all out blitzes....is this also true?

But I feel you. I've made the argument b/4 around my friends when talking about all-time great defenses. But nobody up here in Indiana takes me seriously b/c they know how biased I am toward the Falcons.

In some ways, I'm glad I never saw that. Do you know how infuriating it would be to have that frickin' awesome a defense, and still lose 7 games!!

From someone who had season tickets back then, YES, we know EXACTLY how frustrating and infuriating it was...

It was like watching 2 entirely different games every game... The dominance of the D, the complete lack of ANYTHING

whatsoever on O...

I will say this though, the defense that year started strong and finished strong. They took control of the game and

never let loose. It was truly nice to witness. Then, our offense got the ball... Ugh. I remember seeing the punter

a LOT that year...

I wouldn't say that. The Bucs and Ravens did it. They both had the worst Offenses in the NFL their SB years.

But for whatever reason, unfortunately the Falcons could only win 7 games. Very weird.

Actually Baltimore had the 14th ranked offense and Tampa had the 18th ranked offense their Super Bowl years - so they didn't quite have the worst - Falcons had the 25th ranked offense under Lemman's 1st year as a coach - so 7-7 with a new coach is pretty good - the next year we went 9-7 and made our first play-off appearance and had our first play-off win.

And sorry Glanville didn't have some pretty good teams - 1 year he had a good team (10-6 w?Play-Off Appearance) - the rest stunk at 5-11, 6-10, 6-10 <_<

Let me ask you this b/c I was born in 1979, so obviously didn't see the Gritzblitz first hand. Was it more the talent on the D or Glanville's scheme or both. I've heard it pretty much didn't work the following season b/c teams were ready for the all out blitzes....is this also true?

But I feel you. I've made the argument b/4 around my friends when talking about all-time great defenses. But nobody up here in Indiana takes me seriously b/c they know how biased I am toward the Falcons.

Glanville's Defensive unit were as Joe Theisman said, "Certifiably Crazy!". Those guys were the Kamikazes of the NFL. Now add Glanville's crazy attitude coaching them and you essentially had a powder-keg that exploded every snap of the football.

Why it didn't work so well the following year, I don't know, or you may be right. I was too young to remember.

I remember the gritz blitz. Atlanta had a super fast linebacker, Joel Williams, that made it work. Leeman Bennett was the head coach in 1977 but I do not believe that Jerry Glanville had anything at all to do with the Gritz Blitz and the 1977 Atlanta Falcons. I did a quick search and could not verify that Glanville was in Atlanta at that time. I do not remember the defensive coordinator at that time.

The Gritz Blitz was killed by Don Coryala, by using a quick slant with a hot read.