Going to Atlanta - where to stay, eat, club, shop?

P-Dub

Yep, I've got my tickets booked to visit Atlanta and see NFL football for the first time ever this winter.

I was hoping some of the good people on this board could lend me some tips on your favorite restaurants, clubs, stores or whatever. I know pretty much all about the touristy stuff and the big malls etc, so if you have any other hidden gems that I shouldn't miss - let me know!

Also, where should I stay if I'm a 24 year old and want good nightlife (I listen to all kinds of music, but club-wise I prefer hip hop, r&b, soul, house) and shopping in the area? Downtown, Midtown, Buckhead?

Thanks in advance guys!

Check out the Peachtree Plaza Hotel and the Sundial Restaurant at the top of it. I was up there last night for the first time in probably 10 years, but it still is a cool spot. At one time it was the tallest hotel in the US (I think). The restaurant is really nice, albeit very expensive. You can go up top just for the bar, though, which is pretty awesome. The restaurant and bar is on a rotating platform, which slowly moves, giving you a view of the entire city and surrounding areas (GA Dome, GA Aquarium, Stone Mountain, State Capitol, etc.) The view is incredible at night.

I haven't been to the aquarium, but I'd assume that would be a great place to visit, regardless of age.

I never understood the fascination with The Varsity, but that's just because I've lived here in GA my entire life.

Check out the Peachtree Plaza Hotel and the Sundial Restaurant at the top of it. I was up there last night for the first time in probably 10 years, but it still is a cool spot. At one time it was the tallest hotel in the US (I think). The restaurant is really nice, albeit very expensive. You can go up top just for the bar, though, which is pretty awesome. The restaurant and bar is on a rotating platform, which slowly moves, giving you a view of the entire city and surrounding areas (GA Dome, GA Aquarium, Stone Mountain, State Capitol, etc.) The view is incredible at night.

Sounds really cool!

Thank you all for your tips, much appreciated. Please keep'em coming anyone who has anything. I'll be there for a month so I'll have time to kill...

And to the guy who asked; I'm going by myself, no family. 24 year old male. I will be hooking up with friends later when I travel to Miami. It's a pretty long vacation.

The Taco-Mac by Town Center has the best hamburger I've ever had.. I kid you not

If you are talking about Town Center Mall, it is no longer a Taco Mac...it is called Highland Grill now. The food is still just about the same, so I assume the hamburger would still be just as good.

If you are talking about Town Center Mall, it is no longer a Taco Mac...it is called Highland Grill now. The food is still just about the same, so I assume the hamburger would still be just as good.

Yeah thats now a highlands now, pretty much the same menu last time I went though. They have another Taco Mac about 2 minutes from it on one of the new strips on Chastain though.

I haven't been to the aquarium, but I'd assume that would be a great place to visit, regardless of age.

I never understood the fascination with The Varsity, but that's just because I've lived here in GA my entire life.

Yeah the varsity really doesnt have spectacular food, but I guess its just the atmosphere and history behind it. Plus if hes coming from Sweeden it would be a crash course in greesy american unhealthy food.

I think anyone who comes is pretty much obligated to go to the Varsity.

Buckhead is definitely bar central.

Not as much as it used to be, have you been there lately? They gutted bout half of Buckhead, lots of high rises going up where alot of the best bars were. Sandy Springs, up the road, has American Pie,< cheap version of Club Laveela but lots of hot gold digging women are ususally there. :P and Taco Mac. Buckhead has changed, though, I went there the other day and hadn't been there in a while and was just floored how much they have changed it. :( Still a couple of bars like Rock Bottom, but not many as it used to be.

As Far as varsity its a Atlanta tradition, I go there couple time a year. Greasist food in the world, but it seems every time you go, there will be at least 500 people in there.

Six Flags is good to check out depending if its still open the time of year.

Highlander is good, but people party a ton there too as a bar, never even knew it had food. :P

As far as shopping, Buckhead, Lenox Mall < where there is a Atlanta Falcons store or Phipps plaza across the road. And Phipps is high brow, Versace, all the designer stuff, not a price tag on anything, the old if you have to ask for the price you can't afford it type place. Even their Belk store, you go to a Belk out at Barrett Parkway, everything is affordable, You go to Phipps Belk, and the prices went thru the roof.

Not as much as it used to be, have you been there lately? They gutted bout half of Buckhead, lots of high rises going up where alot of the best bars were. Sandy Springs, up the road, has American Pie,< cheap version of Club Laveela but lots of hot gold digging women are ususally there. :P and Taco Mac. Buckhead has changed, though, I went there the other day and hadn't been there in a while and was just floored how much they have changed it. :( Still a couple of bars like Rock Bottom, but not many as it used to be.

As Far as varsity its a Atlanta tradition, I go there couple time a year. Greasist food in the world, but it seems every time you go, there will be at least 500 people in there.

Six Flags is good to check out depending if its still open the time of year.

Highlander is good, but people party a ton there too as a bar, never even knew it had food. :P

Yeah, I don't keep up with the actual laws of the area but I heard they actually are trying to get no new bars built there so they can slowly tear all of them down and eventually completely change the area. Its still better though than anywhere else I can think of.

Atlantic Station might be worth a visit if you are in that area. Its not even all the way done yet I don't think, but its a cool place if you want to find a nice restaurant or go shop at some major chains.

Yeah, I don't keep up with the actual laws of the area but I heard they actually are trying to get no new bars built there so they can slowly tear all of them down and eventually completely change the area. Its still better though than anywhere else I can think of.

Atlantic Station might be worth a visit if you are in that area. Its not even all the way done yet I don't think, but its a cool place if you want to find a nice restaurant or go shop at some major chains.

Forgot about that too, haven't been there yet either, I've heard Atlantic station is nice. Yup they trashed Buckhead, where the world partied at the Olympics, Atlantas version of Bourbon Street, they trashed it. SAD . :(

Forget what these guys are saying. I'll show you the real atlanta.

1. To hang out I would recommend simpson road and west lake over on the west side of atlanta. True urban decadence.

2 Then stroll up bankhead, and head over to bowen homes to chill for a little bit.

3. Then go to fulton industrial boulevard to meet some nice ladies,

4. Then head on back to the lair, knowing you are a bonafide ATLien.

:D:D:D

• 3 months later...

Little 5 Points is a funky little neighborhood that's cool to walk around and shop, and got some good bars and stuff.

everybody says the aquarium, but it really is very impressive. especially if you're, um, impaired.

gotta go to a Waffle House at least once. they're on every corner.

but we're the strip club capital of the world, and a lot of them play rap/hip-hop, so you'll have no problem finding something you like. like others have said, Pink Pony and the Cheetah are nice.

Gotta' check out the Fox Theatre. Grab a pimento cheeseburger and some o-rings from the Varsity. The Majestic Diner and R. Thomas are great 24-hour diners downtown... after a night of action! For a room... I would do the Marriott Marquis---beautiful hotel. Have fun!

Since I'm usually only in Atlanta for games, I usually end up at the CNN center. I get something to eat there, so I don't spend 9$ on Nachos at the game. Also there is a Dunkin Donuts there and I love the coffee. Then walk to the dome to enjoy the game. Then it's back on MARTA to the Indian Creek station. Then a 2 1/2 hour drive home.