Prater - not so bad afterall?

No team can afford to have a kicker on the practice squad.

the practice squad runs the other teams offense and defense....the roster spot is too valueable to have a kicker there who can't help you in practice.

the guy got his chance to kick and he did well for us in training camp...when the games counted, he just chocked.

Lets see what he does when the lights are on.

There is no way in the world anyone that saw Prater last season could ever say, "maybe we should have kept him" and that's in any capacity.

That guy kicked terribly for us and I think that you can easily call into question if he is a, "pressure player" or not.

the practice squad runs the other teams offense and defense....the roster spot is too valueable to have a kicker there who can't help you in practice.

the guy got his chance to kick and he did well for us in training camp...when the games counted, he just chocked.

errrr... "the practice squad" only is a handful of players and they, well pratice with the team and can't dress

I'd rather have Elam. He's proven and Prater shouldn't have made the team last year in the 1st place. 1 long kick pretty much got him signed. We should of kept Cundiff over him.

If Prater turns out to be a great, or even decent kicker, ATL fans are going to wonder why he was let go. I agree that practice means nothing - he'll have to prove himself on game day. But truthfully, after he stunk up the field in the first 3 -4 games of '07, I don't think he could have ever had success here. He would have been the object of the fans' ridicule and butt of everyone's jokes.

he wasn't even in training camp really. He was signed before the last pre-season game and they kept him off of that one game.

If Prater turns out to be a great, or even decent kicker, ATL fans are going to wonder why he was let go. I agree that practice means nothing - he'll have to prove himself on game day. But truthfully, after he stunk up the field in the first 3 -4 games of '07, I don't think he could have ever had success here. He would have been the object of the fans' ridicule and butt of everyone's jokes.

he didn't even last that long. He was out week 2. We win if it weren't for him. He missed chip shots.

There is no way in the world anyone that saw Prater last season could ever say, "maybe we should have kept him" and that's in any capacity.

That guy kicked terribly for us and I think that you can easily call into question if he is a, "pressure player" or not.

I agree, I just about threw the tv when I saw him miss a FG

Good God! This thread is an absolute illustration of the "Grass is Always Greener Elsewhere" philosophy which seems to permeates the Falcons fanbase. I was astonish to hear the Falcons let Prater back on the team bus after the Jaguars game last season. The only surprise about Prater being "released" (read "fired") from the team the very next day was that the action came that quickly.

Matt Prater certainly had the leg to kick field goals, but that matters little if he didn't also have the accuracy and ability to perform under pressure. Whatever he does with other teams, the fact remains Prater – for whatever reason - just couldn't cut it with the Falcons in 2007.