STEVIE RAY VAUGHN

nobkowski

I remember an episode of "Unplugged" with him and Joe Satriani on it. Now everyone knows Joe's technical prowess.

But Stevie completely made Joe sound so sterile and boring.

Because I don't care how much technique you have, if you don't have feel it sucks. Stevie had that to spare.

agreed

I had the privilege of seeing Stevie and Double Trouble live in the Cotton Bowl in Dallas in '89. He died less than a year later.

Texas Flood is one of the greatest blues guitar songs ever.

I was in a band that opened for him in a little club in B'ham, AL just before the Bowie album that he played on came out. He played two sets to at most 100 people. We ate his BBQ, drank his liquor, etc. He was a very nice down to earth guy. I've probably told this story here before but it is kind of funny. First off, when Stevie walked into the little club he saw how close the seats were to his amp on stage and said, "Those folks are gonna get their heads cut off." As I say, it was my birthday and we were partying pretty hard, so to speak. A few years later after he was big he played at a Record bar convention and a former drummer of mine was a manager of one of the stores and got a chance to hang with him a little. He told Stevie he had some friends who had opened for him in B'ham called the Rakes and asked if he remembered them. He said Stevie kind of scratched his head and thought for a minute and then said. "Oh yeah! I remember them! Man, them boys could drink!"

I was in a band that opened for him in a little club in B'ham, AL just before the Bowie album that he played on came out. He played two sets to at most 100 people. We ate his BBQ, drank his liquor, etc. He was a very nice down to earth guy. I've probably told this story here before but it is kind of funny. First off, when Stevie walked into the little club he saw how close the seats were to his amp on stage and said, "Those folks are gonna get their heads cut off." As I say, it was my birthday and we were partying pretty hard, so to speak. A few years later after he was big he played at a Record bar convention and a former drummer of mine was a manager of one of the stores and got a chance to hang with him a little. He told Stevie he had some friends who had opened for him in B'ham called the Rakes and asked if he remembered them. He said Stevie kind of scratched his head and thought for a minute and then said. "Oh yeah! I remember them! Man, them boys could drink!"
Great story. Let's Dance album with Bowie, right? I think that's the same year he recorded the Texas Flood album. He got big quickly after that.

Great story. Let's Dance album with Bowie, right? I think that's the same year he recorded the Texas Flood album. He got big quickly after that.

right. when we first got the gig the club owner told us he was the hottest guitarist in the country and was on the new Bowie album. We figured, OK. Whatever. David bowie? Cool. After we heard his set I thought, "This guy played on a Bowie record?" It was brilliant the way Bowie used him and it really made the album, IMO.

He was really good but, frankly, the endless soloing got a little boring over two sets. When Texas flood came out I liked it better because he trimmed it down. I love guitar solos but after a while they get a little bit redundant...especially in the idiom of SRV where the band kind of plays a pretty straight groove over and over. the only band personally for me that has pulled off the extended soloing without getting boring was the Allman Brothers with Duane because it changed so much texturally as far as rhythm. SRV was excellent though and the fact that he was just a regular cat made me like him more. He did all the showdog tricks like walking on his guitar and spinning it around his body. Had a great drummer too.

right. when we first got the gig the club owner told us he was the hottest guitarist in the country and was on the new Bowie album. We figured, OK. Whatever. David bowie? Cool. After we heard his set I thought, "This guy played on a Bowie record?" It was brilliant the way Bowie used him and it really made the album, IMO.

He was really good but, frankly, the endless soloing got a little boring over two sets. When Texas flood came out I liked it better because he trimmed it down. I love guitar solos but after a while they get a little bit redundant...especially in the idiom of SRV where the band kind of plays a pretty straight groove over and over. the only band personally for me that has pulled off the extended soloing without getting boring was the Allman Brothers with Duane because it changed so much texturally as far as rhythm. SRV was excellent though and the fact that he was just a regular cat made me like him more. He did all the showdog tricks like walking on his guitar and spinning it around his body. Had a great drummer too.

I read that he broke off with Bowie because Bowie wanted to pay him a ridiculously low amount per show..I mean in the low hundreds.

I saved the newspaper from when he died( and also Roy Buchanan's) Both were terrible losses for the music world.

Deserved to be part of this thread. Stay with it until the end.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

I remember an episode of "Unplugged" with him and Joe Satriani on it. Now everyone knows Joe's technical prowess.

But Stevie completely made Joe sound so sterile and boring.

Because I don't care how much technique you have, if you don't have feel it sucks. Stevie had that to spare.

I saw that one,m its hard to find, Stevie Blew Joe right off the stage more like it. Stevie was playing a 12 string guitar like a 6 string, his hands were so strong and he was ripping it. The look on Satrianis face was compltely I got owned. he played his stuff exact no ad libbing, because stevie just torched him. It was hilarious. :P

I read that he broke off with Bowie because Bowie wanted to pay him a ridiculously low amount per show..I mean in the low hundreds.

I saved the newspaper from when he died( and also Roy Buchanan's) Both were terrible losses for the music world.

Its goes back to the US festival, David Bowie got paid $100,000.00 To play in it. He then paid Stevie 600$ and said I;m not going to pay a back up musician any more its what Bowie thought of him. Stevie had a contract the next day just from the US festival, he blew away so many peple. ;)

Thanks for the vid on here Atl Bear. They had another verison on the special last night, that wasnt quite as good but even not quite as good with SRV is still great. SRV had rhythm and blues poring out his body and guitar. On top of that, he was so versital with the blues. Reveria Paradise is also blues, but in a different more laid back way.

B) lol

Thanks for the vid on here Atl Bear. They had another verison on the special last night, that wasnt quite as good but even not quite as good with SRV is still great. SRV had rhythm and blues poring out his body and guitar. On top of that, he was so versital with the blues. Reveria Paradise is also blues, but in a different more laid back way.
Riviera Paradise is a great one. Did he play Tin Pan Alley on the special? If you like more laid back blues as opposed to the blues rock like Texas Flood, you might check that one out.

Riviera Paradise is a great one. Did he play Tin Pan Alley on the special? If you like more laid back blues as opposed to the blues rock like Texas Flood, you might check that one out.

I don't like the laid back kind any better. I just like that one cause it shows his versitility. Cold Shot is another good bluesy tune.

Probably one of my favorites by SRV was "Lenny" off of his first album which in ways reminded you of some of Jeff Beck's great mid-70s stuff. also liked Couldn't stand the Weather (good video too) and Caught in the Crossfire. As I say, the guy could write as well a splay and that put him above the pack. I wouldn't trade SRV for a box load of Satrianis.

He did it all with only 21 frets, impressive (don't get me wrong, I worship the sound of vintage fenders, but i DESPISE the 21 fret 7 1/4 radius fretboards. Why Fender waited till the 80's to get with the rest of the world and add the final fret and flatten the fretboard is beyond me).

My only knock on SRV is that his phrasing could get a tad repetitive. However, my fav performance of his is the second disc of the live at montreux dvd, the 1985 set. He is absolutely SMOKING during that performance, and his improvisation is incredible. It sounds bad, but I think he did more cocaine than normal before he went on stage that night, but it actually contributed to a better performance. I haven't heard another live recording of him where he plays with such intensity.

He did it all with only 21 frets, impressive (don't get me wrong, I worship the sound of vintage fenders, but i DESPISE the 21 fret 7 1/4 radius fretboards. Why Fender waited till the 80's to get with the rest of the world and add the final fret and flatten the fretboard is beyond me).

My only knock on SRV is that his phrasing could get a tad repetitive. However, my fav performance of his is the second disc of the live at montreux dvd, the 1985 set. He is absolutely SMOKING during that performance, and his improvisation is incredible. It sounds bad, but I think he did more cocaine than normal before he went on stage that night, but it actually contributed to a better performance. I haven't heard another live recording of him where he plays with such intensity.

They showed a couple of songs from Live at Montreux and some from Austin City Limits also during the special.l. They will prob. air it again before the weeks up.