Not impressed with Ryan (Right Now)

L

I know im going to get bashed but you can check my post. I was one of the few that wanted Ryan drafted before everyone else jumped on the band wagon. I’m not putting the man down or saying he wont be a good Quarterback in the future. I understand it was a scrimmage and not a real game I just wasn’t impressed. I thought people were just being extreme about his arm strength and his passes floating. Now I see its really bad he has excellent footwork and he can really scramble.

but his passes just float and have no zip. It was funny my girlfriend turned to me and said he cant throw the ball far can he lol? It was that obvious but to my surprise Shockley looked **** good. I didn’t expect to see him playing the way he did.

Hands down he was the number one Qb with Ryan coming in at two. Oh and did anybody notice how Joey would flinch up when the defense rushed in?? I’m like what the heck is he doing its two hand touch there not going to tackle you. He is tainted for life lol the guy is shell shocked get him outta here. :P :P

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thx for being honest.......Matilda will not live up to what we need....he's going to be average at best.......and I think we may be in trouble with turner also....I hope not...I just havent seen anything yet....I hope I'm wrong on turner

thing bout turner is he is a up the middle run, who breaks tackles, then explodes, which you can do in this, since a touch means your down, but he did have a good run in practice. Matt Ryan is pretty good, but he aint ready yet. he might stay on the bench for a year, if the team thinks Shockley is doing a good job. Proving that the haters were wrong, and Buckeyes and I are correct.

thing bout turner is he is a up the middle run, who breaks tackles, then explodes, which you can do in this, since a touch means your down, but he did have a good run in practice. Matt Ryan is pretty good, but he aint ready yet. he might stay on the bench for a year, if the team thinks Shockley is doing a good job. Proving that the haters were wrong, and Buckeyes and I are correct.

Why does anyone think Shockley is gonna play this year barring injury to Redman, Ryan or Harrington? If Ryan sits then Redman is the starter, if Redman isnt playing well or gets injured, Ryan is the starter and if injuries occur to both guys Harrington will get the nod based on experience over Shockley.

Im a big big Gator fan but I love Shockley and his athletic ability. He has a strong arm but struggles with accuracy in game situations. I hope the best for him but Bulldog fans are getting ridiculous these days.

Why does anyone think Shockley is gonna play this year barring injury to Redman, Ryan or Harrington? If Ryan sits then Redman is the starter, if Redman isnt playing well or gets injured, Ryan is the starter and if injuries occur to both guys Harrington will get the nod based on experience over Shockley.

Im a big big Gator fan but I love Shockley and his athletic ability. He has a strong arm but struggles with accuracy in game situations. I hope the best for him but Bulldog fans are getting ridiculous these days.

they think that, because they have seen Shockley in the past few days of practice, and once preseason comes up, then yall will see what we are talkin bout. Redman has been a scrub the past few days, and Harrington sucks period. Harrington switched over to the white team for the final qtr, and couldnt lead the team against the 1st string D. Shockley on the other had lead the team to a tied score, and in the 1st half was actually winning.

People are gonna say Shock had time to gel, but red team had the best wides, and Shockley was good from the start of the game. He is really impressing the coaches. The Coaches See that Shockley makes the team better, because no way a bunch of no name scrubs beat our first team defense, but with Shockley they actually had a chance. If Shockley was gonna throw a short pass it would be in a matter of seconds, and the way he throws it makes it so fast. it gets there before the defense can really get their hands up. I will say Shockley is surprising lots of people with his performance , and they are not all Homers.

they think that, because they have seen Shockley in the past few days of practice, and once preseason comes up, then yall will see what we are talkin bout. Redman has been a scrub the past few days, and Harrington sucks period. Harrington switched over to the white team for the final qtr, and couldnt lead the team against the 1st string D. Shockley on the other had lead the team to a tied score, and in the 1st half was actually winning.

People are gonna say Shock had time to gel, but red team had the best wides, and Shockley was good from the start of the game. He is really impressing the coaches. The Coaches See that Shockley makes the team better, because no way a bunch of no name scrubs beat our first team defense, but with Shockley they actually had a chance. If Shockley was gonna throw a short pass it would be in a matter of seconds, and the way he throws it makes it so fast. it gets there before the defense can really get their hands up. I will say Shockley is surprising lots of people with his performance , and they are not all Homers.

Im glad Shockley is playing well in camp. Last pre-season wasnt good for him so Im glad to see the improvement. I think he will suprise some this year as well but the problem is, he is gonna have to have an excellent pre-season to even get to be the 3rd QB.

Redman sucked, Harrington sucked and of course Shockley was great huh? :lol:

I was at Roam the Dome and was surprised as well as to how Shockey performed. "L" comments are right on target, but I am willing to wait on Ryan since he is a rookie. There is not a bias from Georgia fans on this one. Shockey was passing very well yesterday and was by far the most impressive. However, we will have to wait until it is a little more realistic in the pre-season games.

I understand the concern - Matt Ryan does not have a cannon arm but most of us that watched his college highlights already knew this. When throwing over 40yds, Ryan lofts the ball a lot and until/if his arm gets stronger he will not be a good deep passer.

What you are "underselling" right now is how "mental" the QB position is - its not just physical. I wonder how impressed the niner fans were with Joe Montana in his rookie pre-season? probably not very.

Matt Ryan is no "sure thing" to be certain but we have to "trust" our personnel guys and reserve judgement - the verdict won't be in on Matt Ryan for at least two years and possibly three years.

Does anyone remember how bad Drew Brees was his first three years in the league? He was so bad that they used the "bust" word when describing him and drafted Phillip Rivers. Well, Drew Brees has been the third best QB in the league the last three years.

Let's not "jump the shark" - time will tell and I am going to be optimistic regarding Ryan - he's already proved to handle pressure and be "clutch" in college without good talent around him.

the falcons is ga's team u didn't know that?

This may not be well received, but I have 2 things to say:

1 - These are intersquad games, which is tantamount to practice. Some players don't practice well, but show up for game day. Jury's still out on Ryan and Shockley, until they actually play in a real game (even a PS game)

2 - I have a friend (yes, I know, you guys didn't think I actually had any friends!) who is a scratch golfer, actually a teaching pro. When you play golf with him, he doesn't drive the ball 320 yds, and doesn't make a lot of 'incredible' shots. He just hits the greens in regulation and putts well. At the end of the day, he's usually 3-4 strokes under par. I call his type of play "sneaky good". By that I mean that he doesn't look like he's playing all that much better than you, until you tally up the scorecard. That is likely what you'll get with Ryan. Not flashy, not the cannon arm of an Elway, but athletic and smart. If, at the end of the day, the Falcons win the game. Who really cares if he 'looks all that good'??

I know im going to get bashed but you can check my post. I was one of the few that wanted Ryan drafted before everyone else jumped on the band wagon. I’m not putting the man down or saying he wont be a good Quarterback in the future. I understand it was a scrimmage and not a real game I just wasn’t impressed. I thought people were just being extreme about his arm strength and his passes floating. Now I see its really bad he has excellent footwork and he can really scramble.

but his passes just float and have no zip. It was funny my girlfriend turned to me and said he cant throw the ball far can he lol? It was that obvious but to my surprise Shockley looked **** good. I didn’t expect to see him playing the way he did.

Hands down he was the number one Qb with Ryan coming in at two. Oh and did anybody notice how Joey would flinch up when the defense rushed in?? I’m like what the heck is he doing its two hand touch there not going to tackle you. He is tainted for life lol the guy is shell shocked get him outta here. :P :P

Matty Ice said he didn't think too much of you either. :P

are you guys seriously dissing Ryan this far into TC.. we haven't even played a freaking preseason game... its genius's like these that deemed Anderson a bust after his first season

ryan and anderson have 2 things in common. they were drafted waaaaaaaaaay to **** high and paid waaaaaaaaaay too **** much.

scarington.jpg

PRICELESS :lol:

Shockley has playerd well each year he has been with the Falcons. Unfortunately he has been hurt the last 2 years. If he can stay healthy he has a very good chance of making it as the #3 QB and Harrington can be cut. Shockley has a good strong arm - even Finneran mentioned it in one of his interviews that DJ threw the hardest passes. But, has he learned touch yet? In the past he would throw the ball full blast whether it was a deep route or a swing pass.

There is more to being a good QB than just a strong arm. In most of the camp reports I have read it mentions DJ zipping the ball but also being inconsistant. Ryan is usually described as having adequate, not great, arm strength but very good timing on his throws.

It is possible to get stronger but it is very hard to teach timing and consistancy. That will be why Ryan will be the QB in the long run.

the 1 yr that Shockley started he was near the top of the pack. if you want to knock the man for something knock him about his height dont say he can hit a WR on a slant route or any other wr on any other route. the man can play this game as well as any other QB on our roster.

If all QB's are competing for a job on the 53 man roster except Ryan because of his contract, then Redman and Harrington's experience are irrelevant. Obviosly their experience is not good enough to gaurantee them a spot on a NFL team. I'm tired of people saying so and so should get the job because of their NFL experience. They are clearly not turning any heads on the coaching staff, and can not rely on their past playing experience to earn a job on this team.

I agree with this completely. Ryan did not look very good yesterday. He's going to need some time and a lot of work in preseason. I'm not sure if I would start him in game 1 at this point, but there's a lot of camp left and things could change.

On the other hand, Shockley looked pretty good. I would be surprised if he didn't make the team this year. I think he deserves a shot as a backup.