Jamaal's indow of opportunity may be slowly shrinking if significant improvement isn't seen..

ATL-03

After a disappointing rookie season, Falcons DE Jamaal Anderson is determined to get better in Year Two and has put a lot of work into improving this offseason, the way we hear it. Anderson, the eighth overall pick in the 2007 draft, was unable to get a sack last season, but the coaching staff remained patient with him and he started all 16 games. Sources say some of Anderson’s problems stem from being a long strider, which makes it easy for blockers to knock him off his course. He’ll need to do a better job of taking short, choppy steps and has to use his hands more to gain leverage, as well. Close observers of his in Atlanta say he wants to be good and has a solid foundation of teachers in head coach Mike Smith and DL coach Ray Hamilton, who served in the same position with the Jaguars for the past five years while Smith worked as Jacksonville’s defensive coordinator.

Jamaal is on the hot seat in 2008, but the coaching staff should be open-minded in terms of utilizing him at another position such as TIGHT END..

Jamaal is on the hot seat in 2008, but the coaching staff should be open-minded in terms of utilizing him at another position such as TIGHT END..

Please dude. At least hes stout at the point of attack which helps in run defense. He will learn how to be a good pass rusher. I dont think **** ever be great at it, but you dont have to be. He is playing the LDE which is not the pass rushing side, IE the backside of the quarterback. Get off his jock strap already, hes not as bad as 0 sacks would indicate.

ZERO SACKS in 16 healthy games in 2007...

The coaching staff must have a back-up plan for Jamaal..

see this is typical from someone who knows nothing about football:

1. it was his rookie season, he was only a DE for two seasons at arkansas and led the league with 13.5 sacks based on RAW talent, he was extremely RAW coming out and everyone knew this

2. I believe he had as many qb hurries as gaines adams, see people that dont watch games only rely on stats to prove points but if you had watched the games you would have seen he was half a second late on about 6 or 7 sacks, and some abe got to first. he has pass rush ability he just needs to fine tune it he is 21 years old!!!!! he has plenty of time and alot of talent

1. it was his rookie season, he was only a DE for two seasons at arkansas and led the league with 13.5 sacks based on RAW talent, he was extremely RAW coming out and everyone knew this

2. I believe he had as many qb hurries as gaines adams, see people that dont watch games only rely on stats to prove points but if you had watched the games you would have seen he was half a second late on about 6 or 7 sacks, and some abe got to first. he has pass rush ability he just needs to fine tune it he is 21 years old!!!!! he has plenty of time and alot of talent

Thats sums it up. I was gonna add somethin too that but if these MB experts cant get the picture on Anderson then they are lost.

Good post.

Thats sums it up. I was gonna add somethin too that but if these MB experts cant get the picture on Anderson then they are lost.

Good post.

You're typical of someone who makes EXCUSES! And Norwood better get his act together as well ...

DEs do not pass rush on EVERY pass play, some times they are asked to drop in coverage, sometime just hold their corner. They only rush when that is the defensive call. So you have no idea how many times he was asked to pass rush last year and you have no idea of how many times he was double teamed, so what's with this no sacks crap until you quote actual number then it means nothing.

Also check out some other DEs sack numbers there are a lot of "Great" DEs that only had 3 or 4 sacks.

DEs do not pass rush on EVERY pass play, some times they are asked to drop in coverage, sometime just hold their corner. They only rush when that is the defensive call. So you have no idea how many times he was asked to pass rush last year and you have no idea of how many times he was double teamed, so what's with this no sacks crap until you quote actual number then it means nothing.

Also check out some other DEs sack numbers there are a lot of "Great" DEs that only had 3 or 4 sacks.

While I agree with your sentiment, you are very incorrect on this statement. A defensive line rushes every single pass play, unless they are told to do otherwise. The only special occasions they dont rush is if they are given a zone in the flats on a zone blitz or given an assignment to spy the QB etc. Every other time they are to get to the QB on a pass play. You are probably thinking about stunts, which tell a DE how to attack the QB in order to not let the QB break contain etc. It is absolutely absurd to say they only rush when they are "asked to".

90-95% of the time a DE's job on a pass play is to sack the QB.

I really wish he wouldn't post here.

Sometimes the truth hurts, but I want to offer SOLUTIONS. There is a good chance Jamaal will be the biggest draft bust in Falcons history, so there has to be a backup plan..i.e.. MAKE HIM A TIGHT END!!!

While I agree with your sentiment, you are very incorrect on this statement. A defensive line rushes every single pass play, unless they are told to do otherwise. The only special occasions they dont rush is if they are given a zone in the flats on a zone blitz or given an assignment to spy the QB etc. Every other time they are to get to the QB on a pass play. You are probably thinking about stunts, which tell a DE how to attack the QB in order to not let the QB break contain etc. It is absolutely absurd to say they only rush when they are "asked to".

90-95% of the time a DE's job on a pass play is to sack the QB.

[/quote/]

Not true. I played DE and many times my assignment was to keep the TE from releasing into a route or to contain the RB from getting outside on a screen. I specifically was NOT to rush the QB.

anderson pressured the QB one time in the scrimmage and it was from the DT spot. in fact he was strong up the middle and provided a good push, well on that one play anyway. i dont think he would have gotten a sack but he flushed the QB. his future in my eyes may be inside in 09 after we draft a more athletic and skilled pass rusher for LDE and babinaux leaves in F/A.

I can't begin to explain how much I wish Jamaal was someone else's problem. Why he is in a Falcons uniform I am just not sure. He was actually the last guy that I wanted period. I wanted Okoye or Leon Hall.

Either would have gone a long way towards being a big part of our future on D. I would have much rather had Chauncey Davis or Paul Carrington start.

And this is a typical response from a person who thinks he knows football. See, at the DE position they like sacks, QB takedowns. DOy ou know why there isn't a stat for hurries? Because they're only for clowns who don't get sacks. Gaines didn't even start the entire season and still had 6 sacks and 1 in the playoffs.

It's a game is split seconds and the good ones make it in that .5 second, the duds don't. Anderson is a dud, the guy is GARBAGE. They pay top 10 DE"s to SACK THE QB not hurry him.

Good try though, how many more excuses do you have for that scrub?

Not true. I played DE and many times my assignment was to keep the TE from releasing into a route or to contain the RB from getting outside on a screen. I specifically was NOT to rush the QB.

But were you a top 10 DE in the NFL draft? See, to get paid in that category your main job is to SACK THE QB.

This is a clownish response to try and make excuses for a bust DE