Matt Ryan is supposedly the heir apparent, but will he follow in footsteps of Rivers,Boller and Quinn..

ATL-03

Matt Ryan is the main man with the big bucks, but it isn't a given he will receive significant playing time in his first year. The coaching staff has an uphill battle in regards to winning games and filling up the Dome, but throwing Matt Ryan out there may be counterproductive. Many forget he threw 19 interceptions as a senior against mediocre ACC competition. Ryan may have a future in this league just like Kyle Boller or Brady Quinn, but allowing Shockley to play with the first team is somewhat shocking. Many people on this board were praying Shockley would be cut by June 1st or even after the NFL draft, but yet he is STILL HERE.

Harrington's unimpressive 25-50 record as a NFL starter, and Redman who benefited from his former college coach has to deal with new realities, a new offense and expectations.

Our O-Line is a work in progress, but the team has a Pro-Bowl calibur RB in Michael Turner. However, I see teams blitzing the Falcons passing game early and often with the slow footed Matt Ryan and underwhelming Chris Redman and Mr. Happy Feet Joey Harrington.

Shockley is unproven, but he may be finally getting a chance to show what he can do. Mike Smith may not be playing favorites this time like his predecessor Bobby Petrino. The best QB in the coaches' eyes may really emerge.

Lucky now the ignore feature is working :)

I second that! But most can't ignore Ryan 19 interceptions as a college senior...that is not likely to translate into consistsent success on the NFL level in which the competiiton is smarter, faster and better..

Many forget he threw 19 interceptions as a senior against mediocre ACC competition. Ryan may have a future in this league just like Kyle Boller or Brady Quinn, but allowing Shockley to play with the first team is somewhat shocking. Many people on this board were praying Shockley would be cut by June 1st or even after the NFL draft, but yet he is STILL HERE.

Harrington's unimpressive 25-50 record as a NFL starter, and Redman who benefited from his former college coach has to deal with new realities, a new offense and expectations.

Everyone knows Ryan tossed plenty of INT's, and that's why most all of the board did not want him drafted by us.

Redman benefited from playing time. Petrino was his college offensive coordinator for one year. He also played better than any QB on our roster without practice with the first team offense. There is also a reason we extended Redman, because of his abilities on the field. He should still be the starter, and Shockley at best should be the 2nd stringer. Unless if preseason shows something drastically different, Redman is the starter, but I won't lie that Shockley has been showing promise.

Either way, you might have to wait till atleast the first preseason game to claim who should be the starter, considering we have QB's with playing time against actual other teams during actual games, not our own defense in some high school.

Yes, Matt Ryan threw 19 interceptions in his senior career. What alot of people fail to mention is he threw the ball 654 times. I'm not giving him a free pass on his interceptions, but he was asked to throw the ball alot. And he wasn't scared of throwing it into tight coverage.

Ryan won't survive five NFL games if he attempts to throw the ball 40 times a game... The NFL game is too fast for Matt Ryan and will become gunshy just like former Golden Boy Matt Leinart and Jay Cutler... and if Ryan is afraid of having multiple FOUR INT games he will lose confidence very quickly...

Yes, Matt Ryan threw 19 interceptions in his senior career. What alot of people fail to mention is he threw the ball 654 times. I'm not giving him a free pass on his interceptions, but he was asked to throw the ball alot. And he wasn't scared of throwing it into tight coverage.

The problem was never the number of interceptions, but simply the small ratio of TD's to INT's. I don't really want to get back into what of the many QB's I wanted in the draft, and I'm stuck with what we have, it was not his picks we were worried about. I understand he had no receivers, but he did have a **** of an offensive line (I know 3 of them have been drafted already). If he had 19 INTS and 60 TD's I'd feel much more confident in his play than I do right now, especially considering the drop in the ratio QB's get once they come to the NFL.

Ryan won't survive five NFL games if he attempts to throw the ball 40 times a game... The NFL game is too fast for Matt Ryan and will become gunshy just like former Golden Boy Matt Leinart and Jay Cutler... and if Ryan is afraid of having multiple FOUR INT games he will lose confidence very quickly...

Jay Cutler is actually an very good up and coming quaterback.

Last year's subpar stats can be attributed to his undiagnosed diabetes that had him drop from 235 to 203 pounds and be extremely fatigued during games from the lack of glucose in his body.

The best QB will win the starting job. Period.

If you believe that, I have some land to sell....If Shock or Redman turns out to be better, they will still put Matilda on the field....Same with GreenBay, Favre Is clearly better than Rogers but the team does not want him to continue to sit and get paid...Not to mention he'll be up for a new contract in a year or two....And thats with a MUCH less contract than we gave matilda

Most of the time it was tight coverage because A. His receiver were smallish without top end speed. B. The running game was a mirage.

654 Times is a lot of passes to only have the ball picked off 19 times. It is a high number but it has to be looked at in context.

How does Rivers, Boller and Quinn fit into the same category? :blink:

Rivers sat for a few years and is now a probowl starting QB. Boller has been a decent backup but never panned out as a starter even with sitting. Quinn hasnt even started yet? :blink: I dont get the comparison and especially with the Shockley plays on the end? :blink:

Most of the time it was tight coverage because A. His receiver were smallish without top end speed. B. The running game was a mirage.

654 Times is a lot of passes to only have the ball picked off 19 times. It is a high number but it has to be looked at in context.

How does Rivers, Boller and Quinn fit into the same category? :blink:

Rivers sat for a few years and is now a probowl starting QB. Boller has been a decent backup but never panned out as a starter even with sitting. Quinn hasnt even started yet? :blink: I dont get the comparison and especially with the Shockley plays on the end? :blink:

run game a mirage? funny i think a RB having almost 1000yrds, and ryan throwing for that much shows that it wasnt a mirage. DJ was the 4th best RB on his team, and almost the 3rd, but was a few yards short. Also Ryan threw in double coverage more on purpose. like in the srimmages he likes to throw it up with a prayer, and hope the wide gets it. Also since he threw it for 600+, then he should have had more TDs. the TD/int ratio is garbage.

Rivers sat for a few years and is now a probowl starting QB. Boller has been a decent backup but never panned out as a starter even with sitting. Quinn hasnt even started yet? I dont get the comparison and especially with the Shockley plays on the end?

Former first round picks who didn't start immediately while OTHER QBS get the nod.. It has happened before and it will happen again..

Rivers had a good year, but he was shaky at times and there was tension between LT and Phillip Rivers....

Matt Ryan may have been paid all that money, but will he sit for an extended period of time... Quinn could have started in Cleveland, but didn't because Derek Anderson was a BETTER FIT for that team..

Shockley may turn out to be the best option for 2008 regardless of what Matt Ryan makes as a salary..

run game a mirage? funny i think a RB having almost 1000yrds, and ryan throwing for that much shows that it wasnt a mirage. DJ was the 4th best RB on his team, and almost the 3rd, but was a few yards short. Also Ryan threw in double coverage more on purpose. like in the srimmages he likes to throw it up with a prayer, and hope the wide gets it. Also since he threw it for 600+, then he should have had more TDs. the TD/int ratio is garbage.

I understand bulldog fan. Who throws into to double coverage on purpose? Im sure his coach at BC would say that happened several times! TD/INT ratio can be skewed.

He threw 2 picks early in the VT game last year but he also threw 2 TDs when the game was on the line with 2 min left. Not to mention he showed some athleticism by scrambling and keeping the play alive on the game winner.

Garbage is what you spew on this MB about Ryan.

I understand bulldog fan. Who throws into to double coverage on purpose? Im sure his coach at BC would say that happened several times! TD/INT ratio can be skewed.

He threw 2 picks early in the VT game last year but he also threw 2 TDs when the game was on the line with 2 min left. Not to mention he showed some athleticism by scrambling and keeping the play alive on the game winner.

Garbage is what you spew on this MB about Ryan.

Dude watch the games. his deep ball were in tight coverage, which is why he had 2 ints over the past 2 days. Your a freakin joke bro. you come at me, but forget the fact that i aint the only one saying it. Ryan won the VT game, since the defense stopped trying once it hit the 2min mark, which is their fault. in the NFL that would NEVER HAPPEN!! in the NFL Defenses aint like college; they will not stop.

also GARBAGE?!?!? you call my post GARBAGE?!??! Man you should not be talking. you know what i aint even gonna get into, since your a gator fan, and are goin off last year, while im going off this year. mayb you should get your opinion from this year instead of last year bro.

Dude watch the games. his deep ball were in tight coverage, which is why he had 2 ints over the past 2 days. Your a freakin joke bro. you come at me, but forget the fact that i aint the only one saying it. Ryan won the VT game, since the defense stopped trying once it hit the 2min mark, which is their fault. in the NFL that would NEVER HAPPEN!! in the NFL Defenses aint like college; they will not stop.

also GARBAGE?!?!? you call my post GARBAGE?!??! Man you should not be talking. you know what i aint even gonna get into, since your a gator fan, and are goin off last year, while im going off this year. mayb you should get your opinion from this year instead of last year bro.

oh my god. can we just get a UGA Forum here please?

Yea thats why pro teams still go prevent in the closing minutes right?

What opinion can you make off of a few OTA's and a week or TC? You gotta be kidding right?

I like what Im hearing about your boy Shock but last pre-season he was below average. If he plays better this one Ill give him credit but Im not high on him based on results, the QB situation and his limited potential. He could become a great NFL QB, but the chances of that happening are slim to none based on recent productivity and simple foreshadowing.

We are talking about a Rookie in Ryan who has always had to try to make plays when there werent plays available at BC. His decision making will improve but he has all the intangibles. He doesnt get rattled and he doesnt get erratic.

Im watching games, are you?

Yea thats why pro teams still go prevent in the closing minutes right?

What opinion can you make off of a few OTA's and a week or TC? You gotta be kidding right?

I like what Im hearing about your boy Shock but last pre-season he was below average. If he plays better this one Ill give him credit but Im not high on him based on results, the QB situation and his limited potential. He could become a great NFL QB, but the chances of that happening are slim to none based on recent productivity and simple foreshadowing.

We are talking about a Rookie in Ryan who has always had to try to make plays when there werent plays available at BC. His decision making will improve but he has all the intangibles. He doesnt get rattled and he doesnt get erratic.

Im watching games, are you?

last preseason was in a different system. Go check my posts bout Friday night lights, and say i talk garbage about Ryan. You just assume, also ATL is my savior, what was your previous name. also we are in the state of georgia. how bout you go root for a different team. the falcons are following the braves, and picking up home town talent. I am watching the games a little better than you it seems. i never said he sucked. i said he loves throwing it deep, and sometimes its just a throw with a prayer.

Shockley got 3 qtrs of play time. i think the coaches agree that in that time he has shown something.

last preseason was in a different system. Go check my posts bout Friday night lights, and say i talk garbage about Ryan. You just assume, also ATL is my savior, what was your previous name. also we are in the state of georgia. how bout you go root for a different team. the falcons are following the braves, and picking up home town talent. I am watching the games a little better than you it seems. i never said he sucked. i said he loves throwing it deep, and sometimes its just a throw with a prayer.

Shockley got 3 qtrs of play time. i think the coaches agree that in that time he has shown something.

While I like to always here our players are doing well, a team scrimmage doesnt excite that much with the youth that we have. If we were a very talented team with a good mix of vets and young guys I could better gauge team activities but with Rookies going up against rookies and other 1st or 2nd year players it doesnt tell me much.

I would think a decent football fan would understand that but you are so pumped that Shockley is completing passes against Houston and Grimes in a watered down scrimmiage that you are missing the big picture.

Check back, I never said you said Ryan sucked.

Stryka5 was my prior screen name before I got kicked off the MB for what I thought was something petty.3,000+ post so Im not the beginner you think I am. Been a fan since 94' when I first got big into Football.