Two UGA football players hurt in brawl.

SacFalcFan

Georgia football players officially report today following an offseason in which eight players were arrested, the latest coming Saturday morning when snapper Jeff Henson was charged with public intoxication and urinating in public.

Henson, 25, missed the Jan. 1 Sugar Bowl while serving a one-game suspension for a Nov. 25 DUI and now his future with the football team is in doubt.

Coach Mark Richt suspended him late Saturday night after his second alcohol arrest in less than nine months.

Also suspended indefinitely now is reserve defensive back Donavon Baldwin, who received a cut to his neck and ear after he was hit by a bottle early Saturday at a brawl at a downtown club. Baldwin was already facing a game-suspension for an earlier DUI.

"This is the second incident for both of these young men in the last 20 years," Richt said in a statement. "In my judgment, their standing with the program is in question and they do not deserve to report with the rest of our team on Sunday."

According to a police report, an Athens Clarke-County police officer saw Henson urinating on a wall and sidewalk at the Wachovia on the corner of Clayton and College. As the officer approached, Henson began walking up the ramp to the ATM and then another person with him told him to fix his pants because he was "hanging out."

The officer arrested Henson, who appeared very intoxicated, smelled heavily of alcohol and was unsteady, according to the report.

At the time, another male approached and said Henson had just punched him in the face at a bar. The male's left eye was red and swollen, according to the report.

Henson's second alcohol arrest in less than 12 months could possibly bring him a suspension from the university under the university's code of conduct or bring a suspension of at least 30 percent of the season for a second alcohol offense under Athletic Association policies.

Henson, a senior from Gainesville, posted bonds totaling $750,20 according to the Clarke County Jail log. He was booked at 3:46 a.m. and was released at 10 a.m.

Henson refused to comment when reached Saturday.

Preliminary information provided by Georgia's Athletic Association before the police report was seen by the Banner-Herald connected Saturday's arrest to the DUI charge from November instead of the new charge.

they are saying more uga football players could have been involved...hope none others are punished. mark richt is going to have to impose a curfew or get the coaches to start going downtown with the players... ;)

i've been reading this forum for the last few weeks now...it's good stuff.

and sac i know most people don't really follow georgia basketball too closely, but if you do get any updates...i sure would like to hear them.

they are saying more uga football players could have been involved...hope none others are punished. mark richt is going to have to impose a curfew or get the coaches to start going downtown with the players... ;)

i've been reading this forum for the last few weeks now...it's good stuff.

and sac i know most people don't really follow georgia basketball too closely, but if you do get any updates...i sure would like to hear them.

updated: You are correct in that there may have been others involved, but no one knows if that is true or not right now. they were saying that earlier today when only henson's name was mentioned, but his situation wasn't part of the other bar fight.

mark richt has already put downtown off limits to the players..

Sac, how many UGA players were involved in all these altercations? I'm hearing about vandalism and something at a hospital too??

a walkon henson was found peeing in public because he was drunk. marcus dowtin & donovan baldwin were jumped and aggravated assault was commited against them. the hospital thing may have zero to do with the dawgs at all. no one knows. also we know two players who were hurt, but that's all we know right now. they may be more players, but that is an unknown at this time..

Good. He needs to do something.

Sounds as if these boys are dealing with the "big-head" after being ranked #1.

**** lunkheads. <_<

There running into the same problems we rean into after we won the NC. All the sudden all the attention is on you even more than before and its hard for some of these young guys to handle day in and day out.

There running into the same problems we rean into after we won the NC. All the sudden all the attention is on you even more than before and its hard for some of these young guys to handle day in and day out.

That's were a good coach make sure the local PD is in his back pocket. ;);) Season tickets anyone on the 50 yard line.

I dont really think it's that at all. Henson and Baldwin both have had DUI's this past year. Sounds like a couple of cats who are bordering alcoholism. I think they're both gone. Also, they dont really even play. It's not like they should have any real pressure on them.