Roam the Dome Scrimmage

Guest Gritz

Guest Gritz

First of all, the redecoration of the Dome is great.......The red and black paint scheme on the outside and the red and black seats inside the Dome really make it look like the Falcon's home now.

The players and the game:

Harry Douglas, Harry Douglas, Harry Douglas! This kid to me was easily the shining star out there today.....crisp routes, good moves and really good hands. We have our Wes Welker now, except our Wes Welker is a lot faster than the original version. Harry caught the first touchdown of the day on a deep fade pass by Shockley in the corner of the end zone.

Shockley got a ton of reps with the white (jersey) team. Overall I thought Shock looked really good. The ball did seem to sail on him a bit in the 20-25 yard range . He threw a bad pass out in the flat to a wide open receiver that made the receiver have to turn his body, allowing the defense to get there and make a play for no gain. I could tell from his body language that Shock was mad at himself for that pass. I am amazed at Shockley's mobility considering that he's coming off of such a serious knee injury....

Speaking of knee injuries, Brian Finneran looked excellent.....Still solid hands and made an excellent open field move after a 10 yard reception, turning it into about a 20 yard gain.....If he makes this squad and puts up some decent numbers.....why not Comeback Player of the Year? He probably won't get the touches in a Mularkey offense to do that but he looked good.

Jerious Norwood is just sick......Every time he touched the ball he looked like he could go the distance. Turner looked good. I really like his running style....He runs very low but is surprisingly fast once he gets even a little bit of daylight. A couple of screens to him looked decent too.

Okay, now is when I might need to put my flame retardant suit on. I don't think that Ryan is going to be ready to start when we line up against Detroit in that first game. He didn't do anything to make me think we made a mistake ( c'mon, it's the 2nd week of his 1st pro training camp)...but he did throw a bad pick to Adams deep in the defense's territory running the 2 minute drill towards the end of the first half. His mechanics are really excellent, he's surprisingly mobile (in terms of just moving around in the pocket) and his accuracy is solid in the short and intermediate game.... I think like virtually all rookie NFL quarterbacks Ryan is going to have to adjust to the speed of the game. I could see our cornerbacks baiting Ryan several times into throwing some late opening curls and square-outs. He's going to be good I believe.....just not out of the gate good like Marino.....

Joey looked okay.......Redman threw a bad pick on his first or second series but overall looked pretty good.

Didn't see much spectacular on the D.....John Abraham looked like he could have had a sack on virtually every snap if it had been a real game. I hope that the Birds use #55 sparingly in the preseason. Jamaal Anderson looked faster and a bit slimmer to me. He got some good outside push several times when I had the binoculars on him. Grady Jackson is about a biscuit shy of being declared a county by himself. I swear though he did occupy 2 blockers almost every snap he was in there....We might get to play some 3-4 D with Grady in there.

All this talk about Chris Houston not being motivated or not excited...........Don't believe it. He looked very fast to me and make several good breaks on the ball.

I know I'm leaving a ton of stuff out....but those are the things that stood out to me.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent review. Actually sounds non-partial. If you can remember anything else I would love to hear it. I have heard next to nothing about Kroy Beirmann, Sam Baker etc. Also Thomas DeCoud and Lofton. Anything on the mid round rooks? Oh yah and Chevis Jackson? I heard Chevis is very physical and makes good plays on the ball. Did you notice him in the scrimmage?

Guest Gritz
i dont think that was chris houston who got that pick.

it was number 24. Adams i think.

Yep. You're right. I just talked with my buddy I was at the scrimmage with. It was Adams.......

Guest Gritz
Excellent review. Actually sounds non-partial. If you can remember anything else I would love to hear it. I have heard next to nothing about Kroy Beirmann, Sam Baker etc. Also Thomas DeCoud and Lofton. Anything on the mid round rooks? Oh yah and Chevis Jackson? I heard Chevis is very physical and makes good plays on the ball. Did you notice him in the scrimmage?

The times I had the binoculars on Baker I was impressed. He holds his ground pretty well. I told my friend I was there with, "Those arms might be short but it looks like he knows how to use them."

Lofton looks like to me that he has played in the NFL for 10 years already. He never looked out of place to me or confused......

Guest Gritz

The o-line looked better than advertised. They definitely opened up some lanes for Turner and Norwood. The pocket was there for all 4 quarterbacks most of the day.

I agree with everything Gritz said.

Our receiving corp looks really strong. Weems stood out today, too but Douglas is stealing the show. I would be very happy with Roddy (he looked awesome today - a TD and quite a few catches) and Douglas as the starters.

Can't really tell much about the defense and lines until preseason. With no tackling, no serious contact and the DBs mostly keeping their hands off, there is only so much they can do.

I think (hope) that Coach Smith sees what everyone else sees in Norwood. The dude is pretty amazing.

I agree with everything Gritz said.

Our receiving corp looks really strong. Weems stood out today, too but Douglas is stealing the show. I would be very happy with Roddy (he looked awesome today - a TD and quite a few catches) and Douglas as the starters.

Can't really tell much about the defense and lines until preseason. With no tackling, no serious contact and the DBs mostly keeping their hands off, there is only so much they can do.

I think (hope) that Coach Smith sees what everyone else sees in Norwood. The dude is pretty amazing.

ok now u taking it too far. Douglas is a slot WR and is perfect for it. Laurent is our #2.

Guest Gritz
Good info Sir, I think Shockley is showing his talent now that he has had the opportunity. The question of who makes the 3rd QB should be between Redman and Joey.

Shock looked good......His composure and command were impressive and as I stated earlier I was very very surprised at how well he moved....coming off that serious of a knee injury....

Oh yeah, Roddy was and is a beast......He is now our star on offense no doubt.

Shock looked good......His composure and command were impressive and as I stated earlier I was very very surprised at how well he moved....coming off that serious of a knee injury....

Oh yeah, Roddy was and is a beast......He is now our star on offense no doubt.

Friday night lights he was in command and very impressive to. I went firday night.

I'm glad to hear such glowing reviews of Shock. I've never touted him as the next HOF QB, but he is an excellent player and a very nice guy. I think he's alot better than most on this board give him credit for. He benefits from having a different style of play than the rest of the pack not only in competition with the other QBs but also on the field against other teams; we saw this briefly last year in pre-season. I think he'd make a great 3rd stringer and possibly 2nd.

Guest Gritz
Did you all see Jerious chase down Blue Adams, he was closing in like a missile or something. Chicken Legs is super fast man.

I was telling my friend that I met there...."Watch....Jerious will get him....(I thought initially it was Houston who made the pick...) but yeah, those chicken legs can go baby..........

Pound 'em for 3 quarters with Turner (and some Jerious mixed in).....and kill them with Jerious in the 4th when they're sucking wind.....

Great post................thanks.

Shockley sounds like he may SHOCK !!!! I hope he will be a starter.

Man we've got some great young talent. Coaches dreams.

IMHO Shockley has a chance to start until Ryan is ready, Redman looked decent. But Shockley's performance was more memorable. Ryan is definitely not ready. Joey is 4th wheel, I feel bad for him. He is a great guy that has bad luck, I wish he could have a better career.