BB Recruiting

UGA is looking to pick up 2 more commits. They have Favors as their #1 target (as does everyone else). They offered their backup plan in daniel miller who is a very talented center and they are also in the mix for Terrance Shannon. They need a shooter still IMO, but it looks like they may go big with a center and a PF. They already one of the best guards out there in mayfield.

I am hearing that both Favors and Miller have GT and UGA in their top 2 but I believe Favors is leaning heavily towards GT. Miller grew up in UGA country and his parents are UGA fans.

We will see there what happens. From what i was told by someone recently it's UGA for Favors, but he is waiting til the late signing period before he commits.

We will see there what happens. From what i was told by someone recently it's UGA for Favors, but he is waiting til the late signing period before he commits.

I usually don't say this but I am pretty confident about 95% sure that Favors is coming to GT and a decison could happend as soon as this month. Not sure about Miller but I am guessing UGA even though it makes you wonder that he has grown up in UGA country and has not committed yet. We're after another 5 star big man so I kinda hope Miller ends up at UGA. To be honest I don't see a reason why Favors would pick UGA and I'm pretty confident right now. B)

I usually don't say this but I am pretty confident about 95% sure that Favors is coming to GT and a decison could happend as soon as this month. Not sure about Miller but I am guessing UGA even though it makes you wonder that he has grown up in UGA country and has not committed yet. We're after another 5 star big man so I kinda hope Miller ends up at UGA. To be honest I don't see a reason why Favors would pick UGA and I'm pretty confident right now. B)

Well this came from someone who know a heck of a lot about recruiting regarding favors to UGA. There are plenty of reasons to go to UGA. First one of his friends is there. He has a chance to take UGA somewhere they haven't been in some time and he has a chance to play for a very good coach in Felton. GT is a nice destination for him as well. Regarding Miller he was just recently offered and is still doing his visits. I doubt favor's commits til next year.

Well this came from someone who know a heck of a lot about recruiting regarding favors to UGA. There are plenty of reasons to go to UGA. First one of his friends is there. He has a chance to take UGA somewhere they haven't been in some time and he has a chance to play for a very good coach in Felton. GT is a nice destination for him as well. Regarding Miller he was just recently offered and is still doing his visits. I doubt favor's commits til next year.

I have actually heard that UGA is eliminated for Favors. I was not sure if it was true but then I heard it again it was from a UGA fan. I think Favors is basically a lock to GT and will help us be a NC contender. Miller is a nice player and alot of potential and I think he will end up at UGA the end.

Here was a link to where Favors has elimintated UGA. I don't have a rivals subscribition so anybody with one, here is a link. Heard it from 2 other places too

http://uga.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?...p;tid=&mid=

He has not eliminated Georgia. That is false. I am sorry, but whatever sources you have are wrong regarding that. I am on hoopsdawg all the time and have not seen anyone who knows anything saying that. We will disagree here man. Even if he chooses GT in the end, UGA is in the mix for him bigtime.

He has not eliminated Georgia. That is false. I am sorry, but whatever sources you have are wrong regarding that. I am on hoopsdawg all the time and have not seen anyone who knows anything saying that. We will disagree here man. Even if he chooses GT in the end, UGA is in the mix for him bigtime.

That is just what I heard frm 3 different sources. I still think it is between GT and UGA but I am pretty confident. I think that Favors wanted to play with more talent and we have a chance to have the #1 recruiting class in the nation.

Do you really think that a freshman makes you a NC contender? honestly?

Well considering the fact that Derrick Favors could have a Michael Beasley like impact to go along with 5 star guard Iman Shumpert and 5 star PF Gani Lawal yes I think we can be a NC contender. Not to mention we have a rising PG in Mo Miller solid PF Zack Peacock not to mention one of the top PG in 09 Mfon Udofia to go along with possibly top 5 recruiting classes in the nation. If we land 2 other 5 stars Kenny Boynton and Yarou(will be a 5 star next ranking) we would have the best recruiting class in the nation.

Word around Lexington is that Favors will be attending UK's Elite camp on Wednesday... Personally I don't think we have a shot at him, but he's never been here before and once he sees our facilities and hears a pitch from Billy G ya never know what could happen...

Do you really think that a freshman makes you a NC contender? honestly?

Dude you need to read up on some history in college BB. The Michigan Wolverines Fab 5 ( Chris Webber, Jalen Rose, Juwan Howard, Jalen Rose, and Ray Jackson) or the entire starting 5 were freshmen, when they went to the NC game against Duke.

other freshmen who made their teams NC contenders for example

Kenny Anderson - Georgia Tech

Carmelo Anthony - Syracuse (won it all)

Greg Oden - Ohio State

Patrick Ewing - Georgetown

I can go on but you get the point.

Word around Lexington is that Favors will be attending UK's Elite camp on Wednesday... Personally I don't think we have a shot at him, but he's never been here before and once he sees our facilities and hears a pitch from Billy G ya never know what could happen...

as i have said from the beginning I would be stunned if he went out of state.. right now it's the two instate schools.

All I know is that my alma mater (Baylor) is about to land the #1 Point Guard in the nation (#1 overall player on rivals), John Wall, a major coup for the program. Our BB coach has done a miracle turnaround job. Got them to the tournament this year, and returns most of the team for 2009.

All I know is that my alma mater (Baylor) is about to land the #1 Point Guard in the nation (#1 overall player on rivals), John Wall, a major coup for the program. Our BB coach has done a miracle turnaround job. Got them to the tournament this year, and returns most of the team for 2009.

the negative publicity about it though it ridiculous.. they didn't do anything that hasn't been done before. great pickup by baylor.

I am hearing that Favors will NOT be there.

the negative publicity about it though it ridiculous.. they didn't do anything that hasn't been done before. great pickup by baylor.
Exactly. As if no other program has ever made an accommodating hire that helped cement a recruit. Danny Manning to Kansas comes to mind. The funny thing is that the guy they hired actually played for one of Baylor's assistant coaches at Clemson, unlike someone's father (refer back to Danny Manning).

Exactly. As if no other program has ever made an accommodating hire that helped cement a recruit. Danny Manning to Kansas comes to mind. The funny thing is that the guy they hired actually played for one of Baylor's assistant coaches at Clemson, unlike someone's father (refer back to Danny Manning).

yep i agree.. this is a q&a about this situation that agrees with what you are stating.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTION: What do you think of John Wall's recruitment? Wall, the nation's No. 1 prospect from the 2009 class, is expected to soon commit to Baylor - where his travel coach Dwon Clifton was hired as the director of player development on Friday. Clifton was reportedly offered jobs at other Big 12 and Big East schools that were pursuing Wall.

Personally, I don't care who anyone hires.

If a head coach thinks it benefits his program to hire a certain person, that is between the head coach, his program and the athletic department.

Hiring prospects' relatives, coaches or anyone else who can help a head coach land a coveted recruit has been going on for as long as I can remember.

I think there are two clear perspectives here: If it's your favorite team that makes such a hire, the program is doing what it takes – within the rules – to be successful. If one of your rivals makes such a hire, then you think it's a shady practice.

– Jerry Meyer, National Analyst, basketball recruiting

I don't necessarily blame Baylor here. The Bears are following a precedent set long ago. When Larry Brown was at Kansas he was able to land a highly coveted recruit named Danny Manning by hiring Manning's father to his staff. Just last year, Arizona State gave the high school coach of five-star recruit James Harden a job on its coaching staff. Harden committed to the Sun Devils soon thereafter.

I blame the NCAA for ignoring these kinds of tactics. We need a rule in place saying a school cannot hire a family member or a former coach of a recruit. If they really want to coach, go knock on the door of the other 340-plus Division-I schools. Guys like Clifton helped Wall get where he is today, but they are also using a teenage kid to help further themselves. Anyone is smart enough to know that isn't right.

– Andrew Skwara, Staff writer, college basketball

This sort of recruiting tactic happens more than you think. Kansas hired Mario Chalmers' father, Ronnie, before he enrolled at the Big 12 school. New Mexico hired noted AAU coach Chris Walker, who was also a former high-major assistant, and his former players made quick decisions to be Lobos.

These things happen. Baylor is doing what has already been done. More times than not, the person that is hired is usually fairly qualified for the job.

Clifton's hiring by Baylor just falls in line with similar situations.

– Justin Young, Senior writer, basketball recruiting

Well considering the fact that Derrick Favors could have a Michael Beasley like impact to go along with 5 star guard Iman Shumpert and 5 star PF Gani Lawal yes I think we can be a NC contender. Not to mention we have a rising PG in Mo Miller solid PF Zack Peacock not to mention one of the top PG in 09 Mfon Udofia to go along with possibly top 5 recruiting classes in the nation. If we land 2 other 5 stars Kenny Boynton and Yarou(will be a 5 star next ranking) we would have the best recruiting class in the nation.

I should say i don't think theres a chance that he will make you national champions. But yes GT if these guys aren't one and done will be a serious force (and should be even if they aren't)

I am hearing that Favors will NOT be there.

Yeah that was a bad report that I heard earlier...

Biggest names expected at tomorrow's camp are Daniel Orton, Brandon Knight, and maybe Demarcus Cousins... Quite a few others are expected to show up, but these three will probably be the top guys there...

I should say i don't think theres a chance that he will make you national champions. But yes GT if these guys aren't one and done will be a serious force (and should be even if they aren't)

I am not saying we would be national champions but we would definately be contenders and chance to win the ACC. UNC will lose Hans, Green, Ginyard and probably Ellington and Lawson. Duke still won't have any bigs. Will see how Wake will be this year and if Aminu is a one and done. We'll have Favors(could have a Beasley like impact), Lawal(huge potential could be one of the best bigs in the ACC), Shumpert(future all american picked GT over UNC :P ), Miller(rising PG) and if we somehow get Boynton and maybe 5 star PF Yarou watchout!

I am not saying we would be national champions but we would definately be contenders and chance to win the ACC. UNC will lose Hans, Green, Ginyard and probably Ellington and Lawson. Duke still won't have any bigs. Will see how Wake will be this year and if Aminu is a one and done. We'll have Favors(could have a Beasley like impact), Lawal(huge potential could be one of the best bigs in the ACC), Shumpert(future all american picked GT over UNC :P ), Miller(rising PG) and if we somehow get Boynton and maybe 5 star PF Yarou watchout!

I think anytime you have existing talent and bring in a player like beasley/favors you are a contender. Even if for 1 year you are still at least contending for it. That doesn't mean you even make the final 4, but even 1 and down helps your program nationally.