Safety Banks: 'You can't ever relax'.

SacFalcFan

Safety Banks: 'You can't ever relax'

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 07/31/08

It's hard to get noticed in a secondary loaded with veteran talent such as Asher Allen, CJ Byrd, Reshad Jones, Prince Miller and Bryan Evans. But strong safety Quentin Banks has managed to draw attention, even though he has only eight tackles and no interceptions. Banks, a 6-foot-2, 210-pound sophomore from Warner Robins, has created buzz because of his reputation and potential. This season he hopes to convert all that into production. Banks sat down with staff writer Chip Towers for a conversation in a series we call "Five Questions."

Q: I think I've heard people compare you to (former Bulldog) Greg Blue ever since you signed out of Houston County High. How do you feel about that?

A: I've heard the Greg Blue comment quite a bit, too, but I don't mind at all. To be compared to a great player like that is an honor. As far as height and size I guess I'm pretty much there. But he was an All-American, so I've got to get up to that level, and I'm not quite there yet. I do think my style of play is similar to Blue's as far as trying to be a physical safety and bring a lot of contact. I strive to [do] what he did, and that's something I look forward to doing.

Q: What does it mean to play safety for the Bulldogs?

A: There have been a lot of great safeties here, Blue and Thomas Davis and Sean Jones and Jermaine Phillips. I've met Greg Blue, but I haven't met any of the other guys. I just hope I can play like them — uphold the tradition.

Q: What can you tell us about the secondary?

A: It's great to be a part of. There's a lot of competition. Every day somebody's pushing you to do something — to be faster, to be stronger, to cover better, to hit better. There's always competition, so you can't ever relax. But as a competitor that's what you want. [Motivation] doesn't have to come from the coaches because you know the guy right next to you is going to push you.

Q: I guess you guys have the best vantage point for judging Georgia's receivers because you compete against them every day. Your assessment?

A: They're great is the only way to put it. There's a lot of talent out there. The young guys are really talented and the older guys are talented and they also have the knowledge already, which makes them even better. It's a lot of fun competing with them, and it should make us better as a secondary.

Q: What's your assessment of the overall defense?

A: We've got a lot of guys coming back. The linebacking corps, our safeties, our corners, our defensive line, there's talent and experience at every spot. There are a lot of names out there, a lot of people that have already made a big impact on this program. I think we'll be pretty good.