What is ideal for a #3 QB

xFalconLord

Here is my question. You have a franchise quarterback who you just drafted #3 overall, and you have an incumbent starter in Chris Redman with not much NFL experience. Can you really afford to cut the only guy on your roster with lots of starting experience in Joey "Sunshine" Harrington. In my mind, I would cut Joey in a heartbeat because DJ has way more upside and is probably a better leader. ****, his father was a H.S. head coach.

The problem is, Redman and Shockley have no credible experience in the NFL. Shockley has none, and Redman has played just about one whole NFL season in his career and put up very mediocre numbers. Harrington has appeared in over 80 games which is over 4 times as many as Redman. While I am not saying I want Joey being a teacher.. I do believe he has learned some things over the years. I think Joeys mental makeup is his problem, and luckily I dont think he can pass that on to Matt Ryan.

Back to my question. What do you guys think is the best way to surround a rookie franchise quarterback?? Do you keep DJ whose got a better mental makeup, but is learning as he goes parallel to Ryan. OR, do you want an experienced 3rd QB like Harrington and let Ryan observe how he does things, and probably learn from mistakes Joey makes. In most cases, you can learn from someone with experience, even if the person with the experience is bad at what they do. I am highly intrigued at how Smith handles it.. its quite the conundrum.

That's the million dollar question, my man.

I think it's going to be very difficult to cut Joey unless Ryan shows he's capable of running the show if Redman gets hurt. Considering we're rebuilding any way, they may just take that chance by cutting Joey and keeping DJ. I think we all know what we have in Joey and we all know that Ryan is the future. If they truly believe that DJ brings something to the table then I would seriously consider keeping all 4, atleast for this season.

I'm fairly certain that Redman starts against Detroit and I'd be horrified if he got hurt in that game and we had to go to DJ or Ryan. Neither is NFL ready. Joey isn't gonna light the place up but he earned my respect last year by keeping that massacre under control. I have a feeling though that it's gonna work itself out whether it be an injury or a trade proposal or whatever. Tampa's always looking for more QBs. :lol:

go with Shockley. I mean the way he is looking makes me think he could be ready to start by the end of preseason. he is really moving up with the team, and getting more reps, and with those reps. he is showing what he can do. Also Ryan is farther ahead, than yall think. Also id rather put DJ on the field with his no exp, than Harrington.

Don't be too quick to rob Redman of all NFL experience. He was drafted in the 3rd round by the Ravens to be their QB of the future. He sat for a year, and learned. And when he took over as starter, he went 3-3 (including stomping Tim Couch's *** on SNF) before having his back injury. I know he hasn't been playing for years and years, he's not Brett Favre. But he's been around.

This is a tough question. I would say that whoever is cut will more than likely be on a retaining leash just in case. OUr line is learning to play together, and there may be some screw ups where the QB will get Tee'd off on. I can see a scenario where all four stay. WIth DJ being used as a receiver or a slash style player. Redman gets the start, but we know Ryan will probably lead it after the 8th game. Joey is Joey I'm afraid. HE does have a little to bring to the table. But in spurts.

go with Shockley. I mean the way he is looking makes me think he could be ready to start by the end of preseason. he is really moving up with the team, and getting more reps, and with those reps. he is showing what he can do. Also Ryan is farther ahead, than yall think. Also id rather put DJ on the field with his no exp, than Harrington.

Yeah, but your not an NFL head coach, most of whom are very conservative in their approach to their jobs. With good reason, gambling and losing usually results in a short career.

I like DJ a lot. Wish he hadn't be hurt last year. I really think if he could have played last year then the Falcons would not have felt the need to draft a QB this year.

But!!!! A QB was drafted and therefor a young QB is not as big a need as a veteran QB. I really beleive Joey will be the #3 QB

Here is my question. You have a franchise quarterback who you just drafted #3 overall, and you have an incumbent starter in Chris Redman with not much NFL experience. Can you really afford to cut the only guy on your roster with lots of starting experience in Joey "Sunshine" Harrington. In my mind, I would cut Joey in a heartbeat because DJ has way more upside and is probably a better leader. ****, his father was a H.S. head coach.

The problem is, Redman and Shockley have no credible experience in the NFL. Shockley has none, and Redman has played just about one whole NFL season in his career and put up very mediocre numbers. Harrington has appeared in over 80 games which is over 4 times as many as Redman. While I am not saying I want Joey being a teacher.. I do believe he has learned some things over the years. I think Joeys mental makeup is his problem, and luckily I dont think he can pass that on to Matt Ryan.

Back to my question. What do you guys think is the best way to surround a rookie franchise quarterback?? Do you keep DJ whose got a better mental makeup, but is learning as he goes parallel to Ryan. OR, do you want an experienced 3rd QB like Harrington and let Ryan observe how he does things, and probably learn from mistakes Joey makes. In most cases, you can learn from someone with experience, even if the person with the experience is bad at what they do. I am highly intrigued at how Smith handles it.. its quite the conundrum.

Observe what?? From....Harrington??? Are kidding right? <_<

Before the season, I was pretty sure the coaches would want 2 vets on the squad, which would have made Shockley the odd man out.

Now we hear from camp that Shockley is playing very well. Shockley does have a lot more upside than Harrington, and brings some more skills to the table. So now I don't have a clue what the coaches will do.

But don't bash Harrington's experience factor. Just because he has failed to win in the NFL, and has some serious flaws does not mean that he cannot pass along knowledge to Ryan. The coaches can't make plays either, yet they are still good coaches.

It's gonna be a tough competition, but we are very fortunate to have this dilemma.

If Shockley steps up (which it sounds like he is) then he is #3 and Joey gets the boot. Redman may not have a ton of in game experience but he does have 17 games and 5 years of training camps etc in the NFL (not counting the years he was out of the league) to fall back on. He outplayed everyone on the roster last year, including Joey.

I think Ryan and Redman are a good one and two... and since teams rarely have to drop to their 3rd QB I'd rather have that 3rd guy be someone we can groom as a long term backup or future trade bait (ala Schuab).

Besides, Harrington has said that he likes the Atlanta area and if this doesn't work out he's likely to just retire from the NFL. If that happens, he'll be in town if we need him.

well i dont know about 3rd string and all of that but a coach said something interesting last year during an interview. (i believe the coach was holmgren).

he was talking about his team and said the way he looked at it is that if your first stringer goes down you need an athletic QB in the fold that can come in and use his physical gifts to move the team. his reasoning was since during the season that QB doesnt get alot of reps during practice you need a guy to be able to come in and "make things happen" was his words. made some sense to me. i think it was brought up cause hasselback was out of a game and wallace came in and did fairly well for them. i have the NFL ticket so i was watching one of their games last season is how i got the info. some interview either at half time as he was walking off the field or at the end of the game.

anyway, i thought that was a pretty good line of reasoning from him. what do you guys think? i think its safe to assume that matt ryan, and redman are going to be on the team. i would think if the coaching staff uses that reasoning that DJ would be a good QB to keep around, with his mobility and what seems to be his pocket presence and all of that.

Anyone who can read the clipboard and doesn't have shell shock from being bombed by D-linemen the first few years(i.e. Harrington) You can't have him on this team he plays scared he is afraid of defensive players. Ryan can't learn from him what is he gonna learn the duck and cover. Harrington's future was killed so why keep him we don't need a shell shocked scared coward as a 3rd QB.

people keep saying this stuff that "harrington has the only starting experience"... AND WHAT? he failed everywhere he went for whatever reason and what is exactly is he going to teach ryan that a staff of coaches and chris redman cant? please enlighten me.

a QB should be relied on to go in and play if needed, not because they played in the league before.

I say

Ryan, Shockley and Harrington make the Squad,

many people are giving the job to Redman when he really is the Starter of the First Preseason game only.

Coach didnt say Redman is going to Start Reg. Game 1, quit Confusing the Two.

The three that play the best in Preseason will make the Team only given is Ryan!

#1 iDash, Jul 25 2008, 1:19 AM

The DJ Shock Attack is going into Full Effect in 7 Hrs!

people keep saying this stuff that "harrington has the only starting experience"... AND WHAT? he failed everywhere he went for whatever reason and what is exactly is he going to teach ryan that a staff of coaches and chris redman cant? please enlighten me.

a QB should be relied on to go in and play if needed, not because they played in the league before.

Like I said in the original post, Harrington has been a women in the pocket in his career in the NFL and is lacking in mental toughness. I think its a given that DJ has more upside than Harrington to be successful in the NFL. All that being said, I still think there is knowledge to be gained even from the failures of Joey Harrington. There is something to be said about NFL experience that is tough to put a finger on. Some of you who completely discredit Joey as a #3 QB simply because he has failed in the NFL are not thinking this through. What do 99% of NFL coaches say when they are young at QB? "We need to get a veteran in here." Most times that is not to play games, its to teach and mentor the young guys. Veteran doesnt classify as good or bad, it speaks to experience.

I don't think anyone wondered. ;)

Besides, Harrington has said that he likes the Atlanta area and if this doesn't work out he's likely to just retire from the NFL. If that happens, he'll be in town if we need him.

I don't think that's true at all. QB is a thin position in the NFL these days, and having a QB who can come in and play well for a few games is valuable, and Joey HAS SHOWN that he can do that. I don't think he's a full-season QB, but if he has the right pieces around him, and in the right system, he might even be that. He's still young, and there's no reason for him to hang up his boots.

I say

Ryan, Shockley and Harrington make the Squad,

many people are giving the job to Redman when he really is the Starter of the First Preseason game only.

I hadn't thought about it, but it could be a possibility. Reports have Harrington playing well, and there are mixed reports about Redman. Harrington clearly has more experience, and throughout his career he's been healthy in spite of the huge number of sacks he's taken. He's done well in games when he's gotten protection and help around him. I wouldn't be entirely shocked if it happened this way- especially if we have an offer for Redman. Based on contracts, however, I think Harrington would be easier to let go- he's only signed for this season.

I'm waffling on this...

Well thats cool and all but I dont want Joey mentoring Ryan and i dont think joeys experience is some unique experience that he is going to divulge some gems of knowledge on ryan.

he could probably tell ryan about all he can in one sit down conversation.

I think you are underestimating the value of having someone experienced to come to to discuss questions and concerns. That goes for QB in the NFL or any other profession that isn't learned the first day on the job. Besides, Joey is a smart player. He has his faults for sure, but intelligence isn't one.

I think you are underestimating the value of having someone experienced to come to to discuss questions and concerns. That goes for QB in the NFL or any other profession that isn't learned the first day on the job. Besides, Joey is a smart player. He has his faults for sure, but intelligence isn't one.

I agree. Having an experienced perspective in the meeting rooms and watching tape has definitive value.

This is a tough question. I would say that whoever is cut will more than likely be on a retaining leash just in case. OUr line is learning to play together, and there may be some screw ups where the QB will get Tee'd off on. I can see a scenario where all four stay. WIth DJ being used as a receiver or a slash style player. Redman gets the start, but we know Ryan will probably lead it after the 8th game. Joey is Joey I'm afraid. HE does have a little to bring to the table. But in spurts.

"I can see a scenario where all four stay. WIth DJ being used as a receiver or a slash style player. "

I can't. Shock has always been a smart Qb with talent why waste him or get him injured in some silly "slash" role?