Bill Shanks on 680:

Great speed. Great bunter. Pretty good plate recognition; although he takes a few too many called third strikes. I don't know if he can hit left-handed pitching consistently enough to be an everyday guy. Bad defensive player for a guy with that kind of speed. Ideal fourth OF'er, or a serviceable everyday player if the other OF'ers could actually hit for power.

That's the way I see it.

Great speed. Great bunter. Pretty good plate recognition; although he takes a few too many called third strikes. I don't know if he can hit left-handed pitching consistently enough to be an everyday guy. Bad defensive player for a guy with that kind of speed. Ideal fourth OF'er, or a serviceable everyday player if the other OF'ers could actually hit for power.

That's the way I see it.

Perfectly fair assesment.

That's the way I see it.

Agree. He is young, right? Maybe his angles will improve in the OF which is where I see his biggest problem. This and breaking quickly on the ball. He works the count well. I like him.

whatever everyone else says he is... he's been our best OF all year long... good/bad who cares hes the best we got so far

An argument could be made for Kotsay--and has been made here ad nauseum--but it is apples and oranges. Blanco is cheap, healthy and with lots of top side. Kotsay is expensive, fragile and on the downside of his career. I think we are only paying $2mil of Mark's $7 mil salary but, really, is Kotsay worth$7 mil?

That's the way I see it.

I think you got it pretty well. I think his biggest problem will be that we have Heyward, Schaf, Gorky, Jones, and Anderson all trying to get a spot for 09 or at least 10.

Had we traded Kotsay, would I have minded Blanco playing the rest of the season at CF? No.

Next season, do I want Blanco putting up the numbers he is right now as our everyday CF? No. Next season we should have a chance to jump right back into the NL East, and I don't Blanco is capable of being the CF of a playoff caliber team.

HOWEVER, I think all of that changes with the caliber of players in the OF. If we signed Manny Ramirez, I wouldn't mind Blanco in CF, because we wouldn't need a consistent power bat from our CF, and Blanco is good at just about everything else.

Had we traded Kotsay, would I have minded Blanco playing the rest of the season at CF? No.

Next season, do I want Blanco putting up the numbers he is right now as our everyday CF? No. Next season we should have a chance to jump right back into the NL East, and I don't Blanco is capable of being the CF of a playoff caliber team.

HOWEVER, I think all of that changes with the caliber of players in the OF. If we signed Manny Ramirez, I wouldn't mind Blanco in CF, because we wouldn't need a consistent power bat from our CF, and Blanco is good at just about everything else.

I hope Kotsay is a waiver trade so that we can bring up some young guys and give them real time experience.

Manny? Are you serious?

No, just trying to illustrate that if we had a true power LF, the woes of Jeff Francouer and the lack of power from our CF position would not be as noticeable.

OK. I have read on blogs and other places people who actually want the guy. Can you even imagine Manny in a Cox club house? I already have a theory that our team went in the crapper when Bobby start letting them all grow beards. :lol:

I see Blanco as a 4th outfielder but I don't see the consistency to be an everyday player. The fact that he has been an everyday player for us this year after us not even being sure that he was going to make the opening day roster has been the measuring stick for me of just how far this team has fallen.