I love hearing this about our franchise qb....

Mr Pickle1

Per the AJC:

QB Matt Ryan might not have the strongest arm, but he is completing passes because of his timing. There will be times he misfires or throws an interception because he can’t zip the ball into a tight window, but he looks a lot better now than he did in mini camp. He seems to recognize the speed of players better and his familiarity of the system has improved. He has improved as much as any player on the team over the past few months.

Hooray <_<

Per the AJC:

QB Matt Ryan might not have the strongest arm, but he is completing passes because of his timing. There will be times he misfires or throws an interception because he can’t zip the ball into a tight window, but he looks a lot better now than he did in mini camp. He seems to recognize the speed of players better and his familiarity of the system has improved. He has improved as much as any player on the team over the past few months.

Hooray <_<

This is why I think it's best to let him sit for atleast a year. The preseason games will work wonders for him, and maybe let him play late in some games.

Peyton Manning doesn't have the strongest arm. He has the best timing of any QB in the league though.

Brady didn't exactly have a cannon when he came in... now he's tearing up defenses in the short passing game AND throwing bombs to Moss.

It helps to have a naturally strong arm, but the mental side is much more important in the NFL. I'm more worried about Coach Smith jumping the gun just to get Ryan in than anything else. The speed only steps up from mini camp to training camp to preseason to the regular season. He may have the "it" factor and a great ability to keep his wits about him in pressure situations, but he is NOT ready to be a starting NFL QB. Rookies fresh out of college never are.

Brady didn't exactly have a cannon when he came in... now he's tearing up defenses in the short passing game AND throwing bombs to Moss.

It helps to have a naturally strong arm, but the mental side is much more important in the NFL. I'm more worried about Coach Smith jumping the gun just to get Ryan in than anything else. The speed only steps up from mini camp to training camp to preseason to the regular season. He may have the "it" factor and a great ability to keep his wits about him in pressure situations, but he is NOT ready to be a starting NFL QB. Rookies fresh out of college never are.

Manning & Brady's throws float on them alot, they just happen to have stud receivers to bail them out. Before Brady had Moss, how often did you see him launch the deep ball?

Manning & Brady's throws float on them alot, they just happen to have stud receivers to bail them out. Before Brady had Moss, how often did you see him launch the deep ball?

He never had a receiver the quality of Moss. His best receiver before that was freakin Deion Branch! Brady never had a stud receiver until they brought in Moss. Why would they design plays for him to go deep when their receivers could only get open in the short to intermediate range?

And he may float a few, but most of his deep balls to Moss were perfect and caught in stride.

Manning has a very good arm on him as well, he just doesn't use it a lot because his receivers are great route runners and he can hit them all over the place for a big gain without having to air it out.

Ryan doesn't have a noodle like Joey, but he's definitely not working with a cannon. I really hope they view his long term development as being more valuable than short term gains potential.

Give Ryan a few years, and if things work out he will be throwing the deep pass like Manning or Brady. Don't believe Madden stats, neither of those two have the strongest arms in the NFL, who needs to throw 70-85 yards anyways?

The only two "cannons" that really lit the NFL up on a high level recently were John Elway and Brett Favre.

Per the AJC:

Hooray <_<

72 million dollars tell me that he need to be more than improving...he needs to be the man right now and for 10 years.....I just don't see it.

I think he is a good but I don't see any greatness.

Coming out of College Brady had EXACTLY the same knock on him as Ryan on arm strength> As did, for example, MArk Bulger.

How did that turn out?

It's beside the point, but Brady and Bulger were both 6th round picks that no one expected to become franchise QBs. Matt Ryan is a franchise QB without even playing a preseason game yet. Brady and Bulger also didn't start or have any kind of meaningful time in the regular season as rookies.

Matt Ryan needs to be better than he's supposed to be when he takes over as starter for this team. He is being billed as the savior and you're kidding yourself if you think the general consensus is positive for Ryan when it comes to Falcons fans and football fans in general. There are a few people on here who are over the top with their enthusiasm, but in reality very few people expect him to live up to expectations.

He needs to sit the first year unless it's absolutely necessary.

All I needed to read was "Per AJC:" After that, I knew you were worrying about nothing. Their football analysis is terrible, and their sportswriters know very little about the game, or any sport for that matter. Furman Bisher was the last one to get it, but now he is semi-retired. They have turned the sportspage into a People Magazine-type tabloid instead of giving insightful analysis. Their primary method is to have two guys write exact opposite things on virtually every issue or topic, always slanted to one side and then the other. Readers can then read what they want to hear, and find support for it, or they can read the exact opposite of what they beleive and get pissed. It is a desperate ploy to try to drive readership of the outdated media. While one can be happy and pissed simultaneously, little or no actual insight is provided. Just conclusions supported by the weakest of threads of evidence, or more often innuendo.

That said, Ryan will be fine. I don't want to see him start until I am able to see a solid line performance, hopefully only after a few games but regardless, not before we can feel fairly confident that he won't be running for his life. He is the future of the franchise, and I would hate for that future to be replete with physical therapy and PUP stints. Let the line gel with soemone else behind the helm who is moire expendable.