STEVE SMITH BEATS UP KEN LUCAS

atljbo

STEVE SMITH BEATS UP KEN LUCAS

Posted by Mike Florio on August 1, 2008, 11:43 a.m.

Every time we mention the 2002 incident during which Panthers receiver Steve Smith cold-cocked former teammate Anthony Bright in the film room, we’re chastised for dredging up ancient events and ignoring how much Smith has changed.

Yeah, he’s changed. He now fights his teammates out in the open.

According to Steve Reed of CarolinaGrowl.com, Smith beat the crap out of cornerback Ken Lucas on the team’s practice field.

During a Friday morning session at the Panthers’ Wofford College training camp, Smith and Lucas got into a fight while on the sidelines during a special teams drill.

In the end, Lucas had a large gash under his eye and a bloody face.

Though the two men apparently tried to reconcile, it’s surely an unwanted distraction.

“We haven’t had much time to talk about it, but it will be dealt with internally,” coach John Fox said after practice.

Reed reports that there has been “bad blood” between Smith and Lucas in the past, but it had never resulted in anyone’s “fresh blood” being spilled.

I wonder if Panther fans call Smith a "thug" and want to get rid of him.

I remember when DeAngelo had a fight in training camp and people went nuts and wanted him gone because he was a "cancer," etc.

Then again... most people had a personal problem with DeAngleo. Maybe their girlfriend/wife had a secret crush on him or something...

I heard he punched out Bright because he got tired of Bright asking to see the same play over and over again during film study. Hardly a good reason to punch him out, but I think we've all been there before with someone we found annoying.

i can picture that:

Bright: hey coach, can you run that ba--

Smith: **** bright! dont you get it yet?!

Bright: i just want to get it down

Smith: argh! slowass *punches Bright in the face*

I wonder if Panther fans call Smith a "thug" and want to get rid of him.

I remember when DeAngelo had a fight in training camp and people went nuts and wanted him gone because he was a "cancer," etc.

Then again... most people had a personal problem with DeAngleo. Maybe their girlfriend/wife had a secret crush on him or something...

LOL MeAngel is GONE loll the crush really helped him stay hefe.lol

steve smith needs to be suspended for the entire season IMO

Think the whole season might be overboard. Definitely grounds for some type of disciplinary action. You want these players to be professionals? Attacking your teammate because of some difference is hardly professional and anyone thinking that is the logical thing to do in that scenario should be be getting paid a multi-million dollar contract. I don't have kids, but if I had kids in NC, how would I explain this? The hero that my kid looks up to thinks it's okay for him to beat up a team mate? Some of these guys should be locked up (Not Smith because he wasn't breaking any major laws) but these guys with DUI's, guns in public places, setting up gambling and dog fighting rings, etc. These are suppose to be model citizens that everyone can look up to. Forget what you guys have to say about Brooking's ability on the field, that man has done a lot for the local community and is an example of a good all around player. Hopefully this can resonate throughout the entire lineup since that's TD's goal. Only time will tell.

Think the whole season might be overboard. Definitely grounds for some type of disciplinary action. You want these players to be professionals? Attacking your teammate because of some difference is hardly professional and anyone thinking that is the logical thing to do in that scenario should be be getting paid a multi-million dollar contract. I don't have kids, but if I had kids in NC, how would I explain this? The hero that my kid looks up to thinks it's okay for him to beat up a team mate? Some of these guys should be locked up (Not Smith because he wasn't breaking any major laws) but these guys with DUI's, guns in public places, setting up gambling and dog fighting rings, etc. These are suppose to be model citizens that everyone can look up to. Forget what you guys have to say about Brooking's ability on the field, that man has done a lot for the local community and is an example of a good all around player. Hopefully this can resonate throughout the entire lineup since that's TD's goal. Only time will tell.

i think he was just trying to be funny and he said that so we wouldnt have to play steve smith this year. if that was where he was going with it it was pretty funny IMO.

I promise you if one of our guys did that, our whole message board would say how dysfunctional and bad our team is as far as character goes. Its obvious Steve Smith is upset with the team he is on based on his actions and performance level. The Qb situation is shaky there with an injured Delhomme and he proves his anger by getting into this bizarre fight on the sidelines of special teams drills. Smith is obviously upset with what is going on in Carolina.