Per Fox Sports: 3 Teams that could go at 0-16

NewFalcon

Details on the 3 teams (KC, Fins, Falcons) are in the complete story:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8391162...ake-run-at-0-16

and here's the exerpt about the Falcons:

"The Clean Slate: Atlanta Falcons

Few have ever suffered a worse 18 months than what the Falcons fans endured recently. After what was a well-regarded draft and the signing of a top-notch, "offensive mastermind" coach from the college ranks, several pundits tabbed the Falcons as the AFC South favorites in the spring of '07.

Then came the downward spiral.

Michael Vick and the dog fighting, the unpopular waiving of Grady Jackson, the DeAngelo Hall meltdown in the Carolina game, the Leftwich signing, the quarterback musical chairs, and finally -- the cherry on the manure sundae -- the infamous late night Bobby Petrino introductory press conference in Fayetteville, Ark.

Sure enough, the 2008 Falcons are green from top to bottom. There's a first-year general manager, a first-year head coach, and, in Matt Ryan, an eventual first-year starting quarterback. Most of the key veterans that anchored the 2006 and 2007 Falcon squads are no longer with the team. Warrick Dunn? Gone. Former Pro-Bowler Alge Crumpler? Gone. Former Pro Bowler Rod Coleman? Gone. Wayne Gandy? Him, too. Leftwich? Yep. Marcus Wilkins, Lewis Sanders, and Jamin Elliot were all given their walking papers, too. Hall, the flamboyant corner, was shown the door as well, sent to Oakland in an off-season deal.

What's left? Well, longtime Falcon Keith Brooking, up-and-coming receiver Roddy White, free-agent pickup Michael Turner, and a whole bunch of young faces. Ryan should be starting by mid-season, and fellow first-year guys Sam Baker and Curtis Lofton may very well be starting even sooner.

Gone is the stigma of a team in ruins. That funeral parlor odor that the Falcons had toward the end of last season is a thing of the past. Insert the scent of a baby's nursery, instead.

Yes, there's hope, excitement, and pride in Flowery Branch this summer. No one's doubting that.

Atlanta may just need to survive its very worst season yet to enjoy the good times on the horizon.

Schrager Projection: 2-14."

Details on the 3 teams (KC, Fins, Falcons) are in the complete story:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8391162...ake-run-at-0-16

and here's the exerpt about the Falcons:

Few have ever suffered a worse 18 months than what the Falcons fans endured recently. After what was a well-regarded draft and the signing of a top-notch, "offensive mastermind" coach from the college ranks, several pundits tabbed the Falcons as the AFC South favorites in the spring of '07.

When did we move to the AFC South?!?

Sure enough, the 2008 Falcons are green from top to bottom. There's a first-year general manager, a first-year head coach, and, in Matt Ryan, an eventual first-year starting quarterback. Most of the key veterans that anchored the 2006 and 2007 Falcon squads are no longer with the team. Warrick Dunn? Gone. Former Pro-Bowler Alge Crumpler? Gone. Former Pro Bowler Rod Coleman? Gone. Wayne Gandy? Him, too. Leftwich? Yep. Marcus Wilkins, Lewis Sanders, and Jamin Elliot were all given their walking papers, too. Hall, the flamboyant corner, was shown the door as well, sent to Oakland in an off-season deal.

Dunn, Crumpler, and Coleman were all obviously starting the back side of their careers. We could have held on to each of their past, or we could move ahead. I prefer Turner over Dunn any day. I'm going to miss Crumpler's hands, but I missed them last year, too.

Gandy, Leftwich, Wilkins, Sanders, and Elliot - I sure am going to miss them. They made such huge contributions to our team and their long tenures as Falcons is the hardest pill to swallow here. [/sarcasm]

We could do multiple threads about MeAngelo Hall, but ultimately, I think his departure is best. His play was not good consistently enough.

What's left? Well, longtime Falcon Keith Brooking, up-and-coming receiver Roddy White, free-agent pickup Michael Turner, and a whole bunch of young faces. Ryan should be starting by mid-season, and fellow first-year guys Sam Baker and Curtis Lofton may very well be starting even sooner.

Gone is the stigma of a team in ruins. That funeral parlor odor that the Falcons had toward the end of last season is a thing of the past. Insert the scent of a baby's nursery, instead.

Yes, there's hope, excitement, and pride in Flowery Branch this summer. No one's doubting that.

Atlanta may just need to survive its very worst season yet to enjoy the good times on the horizon.

Schrager Projection: 2-14.

Pretty much everything on this list sounds like an improvement to me. If the team is improved, how could the record be worse?!? (The schedule should be easier based on our poor season last year, right?) I'd consider Atlanta as a possible dark horse in the NFC South this year.

Thats just ridiculous, no team this year IMO will go winless. If the dolphins didn't do it last year, no one has a shot this year. As for the Falcons and the Chiefs, I think both teams have a good shot at winning 6-8 games but can't say the same about the Dolphins but they'll win games this year (just not a lot of them).

Pretty much everything on this list sounds like an improvement to me. If the team is improved, how could the record be worse?!? (The schedule should be easier based on our poor season last year, right?) I'd consider Atlanta as a possible dark horse in the NFC South this year.

Nope, the only part based on last year is the part where we play the 2 NFC opponents in the divisions we don't play against that finished in the same place as we did in our respective dividions.

• 2 weeks later...
I will bet anyone that the Falcons and the Chiefs finish ahead of the Raiders. Now Miami is going to stink all over again, even I can't argue with that, Quincy Carter, get real.

You are such a blind loyalist. The Raiders will have a MUCH better record than the Falcons. Just as last year the Falcons will NOT win one dividion game.

Unlike most of the hormonal girls on these boards that freak out because of something like that, I'm not bothered in the least that someone seems to think 2-14, but I do question how they figure that after going 4-12 with the trash we had last year.

Exactly... The media in the off season is just like these boards, except they put out garbage headlines to sell papers etc

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
One MAJOR flaw in this article from the very beginning, it was impossible for 1 of those teams to go 0-16...we play the Chiefs...should have done his homework. one of the teams had to win.

...what? He didn't say all three teams would go 0-16, he said that three teams have a CHANCE to go 0-16. Since no one has EVER gone 0-16, he was just picking out the three teams who had the best chance of it, and not saying we all had a chance to do it at once. I'm sure in his mind, he believed that the loser of the Falcons/Chiefs game could lose all their games.