2009 Cover 2 CBs

atljbo

2009 Freeagents

5'11 190lbs Phillip Buchanon: This is a guy whom was drafted by the texans to be a man to man shut down CB......Well he was getting burnt.... As a cover 2 CB it works well with his speed (4.3) and his play making ability (last year Phillip racked up 61 tackles and 3 ints)......

6'1 205lbs Chris Gamble: I have a feeling that Chris Gamble will attract a big contract but dude is a good cover 2 CB...... I think that the fact that the panthers has been playing more man (since there safetys suck) has hurt Chris Gambles game........We wont go after him because of the money issue but he would be a nice Cover 2 CB

6'0 195lbs Kelvin Hayden: A prototypical Colts CB........ a good cover 2 CB

2009 NFL Draft

2003988995.jpg

5'11 195lbs Victor Harris, V-Tech: If Macho can last to the 3rd round.....HE IS A MUST DRAFT... Everything about this guy screams Cover 2 play maker... Macho Harris collected 5 ints in 2007 and 4 in 2006...... This is the guy that Matt Ryan called the bext CB in the country last year... Harris is not only a great Cover 2 CB but dude also return kicks.... Like Brandon Flowers, Macho Harris is a cover 2 CB so he will not be a 1st round pick......I think that we will wait until at least the 3rd round to get a CB.... If Macho is there....GRAB HIM

Projection:2nd-early 3rd round

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

terps3.jpg

6'1 190lbs Kevin Barnes, Maryland: This guy looks like your Prototypical Cover 2 CB..... Tall, long arms, and great vision......The only knock on Kevin is his late 4.4 to early 4.5 speed(Cover 2 CB)...... Kevin Brown is a great tackler racking up 64 tackles last year and also showed his play making skille with 4 ints

Projection:Late 2nd-3rd round

610x.jpg

6'2 190lbs Domonique Johnson, Jackson State: I told yall about DRC so quote me now......This guy is on DRC Level......Domonique Johnson is DRC without the hype(like Antwaun Molden)....... This guy is tall,FAST (4.3), long arms, and is a good tackler......... After transferring from Missouri to Jackson State ,Domonique Johnson collected 4 ints (returned 1 to the house)....

Projection:Late 2nd-3rd round

340x.jpg

6'1 190lbs Morgan Trent, Michigan: When Morgan first stepped on the scene Michigan tried to make him a man cover CB and dude got Burnt BAD......... Morgan Trent steped it up last year and learned to play big time football collecting 41 tackles and 2 ints

Projection:3rd-4th round

Other Cover 2 CB's in the draft

6'0 200lbs Keenan Lewis, Oregon State:Collected 3 ints last year

6'0 194lbs Jahi Word-Daniels, GTech: had some minore nagging injurys but dude still put up some good numbers...(56 tackles with 8 pass deflected )

And More

I know alot of u guys will look for us to go after a Nnamdi Asomugha in freeagency or Malcolm Jenkins and or Vontae Davis in the first round but that would not be smart with the kind of scheme we run.......Look at the Colts and Patriots.....The Colts run a Tampa 2 nd the Pats runs a form of Cover 2.... They both draft CBs from the 2nd round an on down......Players that fits there systems and make stars out of them (except for Marlin Jackson, whom was a late 1st round pick....29th pick)

If we can get a Super Star Safety...... That would be worth spending a 1st round pick on..... Look at what a Bob Sanders,Adrian Wilson,Laron Landry, Ed Reed, and Troy P does for their teams.....

Likewise, Macho Harris would be great. But I doubt very much that he lasts to the 3rd round. He's as good as, if not better than Brandon Flowers, who went high 2nd.

I agree that the 3rd round is the ideal place to look for a CB - however, a lot will depend on how Houston, Grimes, Irons and Jackson perform this year. They're all very young, so if they're promising then we're more likely to look to free agency for cornerback help, if at all.

Likewise, Macho Harris would be great. But I doubt very much that he lasts to the 3rd round. He's as good as, if not better than Brandon Flowers, who went high 2nd.

I agree that the 3rd round is the ideal place to look for a CB - however, a lot will depend on how Houston, Grimes, Irons and Jackson perform this year. They're all very young, so if they're promising then we're more likely to look to free agency for cornerback help, if at all.

i agree...... i feel like that CB position is not going to be a big concern...... I feel like the D-Line and Safety's are the most important Positions..... If you can build a mean pass rush your CBs will look great.......Look at the Titans.Steelers,Giants,Chiefs,Bucs,and Colts..... all of these teams was in the top 12 in passing Defense..... These teams does not have the greatest CB(Please dont say Ronda Barber... dude is old and slow...he just fits the scheme perfectly...lol)........ If you can have a good pass rush with your front 4...... you will have a good Defense

i agree...... i feel like that CB position is not going to be a big concern...... I feel like the D-Line and Safety's are the most important Positions..... If you can build a mean pass rush your CBs will look great.......Look at the Titans.Steelers,Giants,Chiefs,Bucs,and Colts..... all of these teams was in the top 12 in passing Defense..... These teams does not have the greatest CB(Please dont say Ronda Barber... dude is old and slow...he just fits the scheme perfectly...lol)........ If you can have a good pass rush with your front 4...... you will have a good Defense

they ron a tampa 2, not a cover 2. they are pretty different. in a cover 2 the Cbs aint really important. you dont need big name Cbs that are ball hawks. Safeties are the ones that you need to be Ball Hawks and get zone coverage guys. Also its more about having a great Dline.

To me Dline and Oline are the most imporant positions, and need the most money, then QB, Rbs, and LBs, then Safeties and wides, then everyone else. well atleast thats how it is in this system.

they ron a tampa 2, not a cover 2. they are pretty different. in a cover 2 the Cbs aint really important. you dont need big name Cbs that are ball hawks. Safeties are the ones that you need to be Ball Hawks and get zone coverage guys. Also its more about having a great Dline.

To me Dline and Oline are the most imporant positions, and need the most money, then QB, Rbs, and LBs, then Safeties and wides, then everyone else. well atleast thats how it is in this system.

There is not a Huge difference between a cover 2 and a tampa 2...... They are different but they require the same typ CB and Safety........ Its just in a Tampa 2 the Safteys are separated out wider because the MLB sill drop back and cover the middle of the field....

ALL a tampa 2 is.... is a form of cover 3..... it requires the same pieces a cover 2 need...... except your MLB has to know how to play deep

But yea... the example i was giving is that those schemes require the same type of CBs and Safetys..... The misconception about a cover 2 is that your cb does not have to be a ball hawk...... Any Defense want their CBs to be ball hawks..... its just cover 2 CBs does not have to be as fast (They can have 4.3 speed but its not required)and has to be a good Tackler........

Cover 2

43.gif

Tampa 2

tampa2.gif

Man, Macho's video got me amped up. He reminds me of DHall. Kickoff returner and the interceptions are eerily similar. (and the swagger!)

I don't think our CBs strike any fear to QBs and WRs around the league. DHall had the presence on the field, even if he wasn't doing so well.

I like it, if he does go to the third: "I'd pick'em up."

But Dline and Oline still need help.

I know alot of u guys will look for us to go after a Nnamdi Asomugha in freeagency or Malcolm Jenkins and or Vontae Davis in the first round but that would not be smart with the kind of scheme we run.......Look at the Colts and Patriots.....The Colts run a Tampa 2 nd the Pats runs a form of Cover 2.... They both draft CBs from the 2nd round an on down......Players that fits there systems and make stars out of them

The Pats run a form of cover 2? Huh?

The Pats run a 3-4/4-3 hybrid....

And you don't really need to worry about us signing Asomugha. I can already tell you there is NO WAY we'll be able to afford him thanks to Ryan and Vick's cap hit.

That goes for pretty much every high priced free agent. We'll be able to sign other teams back-ups and make them our starters.... that's about it.

Man, Macho's video got me amped up. He reminds me of DHall. Kickoff returner and the interceptions are eerily similar. (and the swagger!)

I don't think our CBs strike any fear to QBs and WRs around the league. DHall had the presence on the field, even if he wasn't doing so well.

I like it, if he does go to the third: "I'd pick'em up."

But Dline and Oline still need help.

Thats one thing i like about V-Tech CBs...... They have alot of swag(d-hall had to much at times)........Macho will be a very good CB in the NFL tho

The Pats run a form of cover 2? Huh?

The Pats run a 3-4/4-3 hybrid....

And you don't really need to worry about us signing Asomugha. I can already tell you there is NO WAY we'll be able to afford him thanks to Ryan and Vick's cap hit.

That goes for pretty much every high priced free agent. We'll be able to sign other teams back-ups and make them our starters.... that's about it.

Yes.... The Pats runs a form of Cover 2........... you can run a cover 2 scheme in a 3-4 or 4-3 D

Dallas, Chargers, and the Pats runs a man under cover 2 scheme... but in a 3-4 formation

Variations of Cover 2

Man under

The most common variation of cover two is when the defense chooses to play two deep safeties but assign the five underneath defenders to play man-to-man on the offenses five eligible receivers. This is an excellent change up because it looks exactly the same as regular cover two zone to the offense. On the snap of the ball, the offense is confused because they have called their zone beaters but the defense locks up on the man-to-man receivers.

0926_6.gif

If you run the same cover 2 zone all game...... youll get burnt allll day..... you have to change it up

More info on 3-4 cover 2 scheme that i found

Cover 2 can be run from any seven-man defensive fronts such as the 3-4 and the 4-3. (It is difficult to implement Cover 2 from an eight-in-the-box front, because the strong safety or someone replacing him is usually the eighth man.) Various "underneath" coverage played by cornerbacks and linebackers may also be implemented. For example, Cover 2 Man means 2 safeties have deep responsibility while the cornerbacks and linebackers follow their offensive assignment in one-on-one coverage. The NFL's San Diego Chargers inherited a base Cover 2 Man 3-4 from Wade Phillips. Cover 2 can also be paired with underneath zone schemes: Cover 2 Zone refers to 2 safeties with deep responsibility but now the CBs and LBs drop back into specific coverage zones where they defend passes only in their assigned area.

I have a feeling that Asante Samuel will struggle a lil bit this year....... Asante Samuel is one of the best CBs in the league but the Pats scheme and Samuel fit together perfectly... If you payed attention to Asante Samuel.....Samuels got burnt more when he when he played pure man covering

We will need to draft a DT and a center or RT in the first two rounds next year.

As for CB, third round is a perfect place.

yup... i know its asking for to much but if Macho last till the third round that would be Huge......... If not... We should take a look at 6'2 190lbs Domonique Johnson in the 3rd round.... Dude is good.....

But yea...... i cant think of a first round DT in next year draft that would fit the type of DT Coach Smith like ...... Also their is not a DT that should go in the top 15 picks..... There should be a couple of really good 2nd round DT

So if there is not a top 15 DT and RT and Centers shouldn't be drafted in the top 15 picks............. So who would you draft in the first round ?

yup... i know its asking for to much but if Macho last till the third round that would be Huge......... If not... We should take a look at 6'2 190lbs Domonique Johnson in the 3rd round.... Dude is good.....

But yea...... i cant think of a first round DT in next year draft that would fit the type of DT Coach Smith like ...... Also their is not a DT that should go in the top 15 picks..... There should be a couple of really good 2nd round DT

So if there is not a top 15 DT and RT and Centers shouldn't be drafted in the top 15 picks............. So who would you draft in the first round ?

Thats a tough choice. If there is no top 15 DT, RT, or Centers next year, I will have to go with that safety from USC, Mays ( i think that his name). Or I'll go with Rey Mauluaga. We can move Lofton to weakside and plug Mauluaga in the middle. Boley, Mauluaga, Lofton. What a beast Lbing core we would have.

IMO, next year should be a draft where we focus mostly of the Defense and the Oline and possibly a TE.

TE we can draft in the fifth round. Tripp Chandler (UGA) is an excellent prospect. But as for the first 4 rounds we need to focus mainly on Defense and Oline.

Thats a tough choice. If there is no top 15 DT, RT, or Centers next year, I will have to go with that safety from USC, Mays ( i think that his name). Or I'll go with Rey Mauluaga. We can move Lofton to weakside and plug Mauluaga in the middle. Boley, Mauluaga, Lofton. What a beast Lbing core we would have.

IMO, next year should be a draft where we focus mostly of the Defense and the Oline and possibly a TE.

TE we can draft in the fifth round. Tripp Chandler (UGA) is an excellent prospect. But as for the first 4 rounds we need to focus mainly on Defense and Oline.

I cant lie.... i really like Rey Mauluaga but i think Coach Smith will let Lofton stay at MLB......... I really like Taylor Mays........As in TE..... I dont think TE is a big need in our scheme.... They will mostly act as another OT..... I do like Wisconsin 6'4 237lbs TE Travis Beckum.... Dude reminds me of a young lesser of a blocker version of Kellen Winslow

I cant lie.... i really like Rey Mauluaga but i think Coach Smith will let Lofton stay at MLB......... I really like Taylor Mays........As in TE..... I dont think TE is a big need in our scheme.... They will mostly act as another OT..... I do like Wisconsin 6'4 237lbs TE Travis Beckum.... Dude reminds me of a young lesser of a blocker version of Kellen Winslow

Actually, not that i think about. You're right. TE is not really one of our biggest need. Listori might a diamond in the rough. He was pretty good in college before he got hurt.

Mays is a really good prospect. Great size and decent speed to be a cover 2 safety. We lose out on Reggie and Laron, we need to make it up with Mays. Who is probably the better prospect out of the three.

Actually, not that i think about. You're right. TE is not really one of our biggest need. Listori might a diamond in the rough. He was pretty good in college before he got hurt.

Mays is a really good prospect. Great size and decent speed to be a cover 2 safety. We lose out on Reggie and Laron, we need to make it up with Mays. Who is probably the better prospect out of the three.

Taylor mays have way more then just decent speed

Link

Mays' workout numbers are ridiculous. He's 6-3, 226 pounds, with 6 percent body fat and ran an electronically timed 40 this spring in 4.32 seconds. He did 26 reps with 225 pounds while also vertical jumping 41 inches and doing a standing broad jump of 11-4. (As evidence in his growth, Mays arrived at USC weighing 215 and posted a vertical jump of 35 inches and a broad jump of 10-0.)

He also has the pedigree.... His dad Stafford Mays is a former NFL defensive lineman

Those workout warrior numbers does not scare me because of Taylor May's pedigree and the fact that he can flat out Play

You can tell how dedicated Taylor Mays is by the improvements in his ability's (noted above)...... With FS 6'0 200lbs Thomas DeCoud and SS 6'3 226lbs Taylor Mays.....................This can possibly be a Colts type Safety tandem

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

If all the top DT's are gone in the 1st, the Falcons should take a good look at Malcom Jenkins from Ohio State. Being from Columbus I've seen him play, and this kid is the real deal. He moves so fluid with his hips and he's a ballhawk. Zone, or Man he's going to be a good corner.

If all the top DT's are gone in the 1st, the Falcons should take a good look at Malcom Jenkins from Ohio State. Being from Columbus I've seen him play, and this kid is the real deal. He moves so fluid with his hips and he's a ballhawk. Zone, or Man he's going to be a good corner.

I haven't seen this kid, so I may be talking out of my rear here. But I don't think anyone from Ohio State translates all that good to the NFL. I personally think Ohio State has it easy and plays NO competition, therefore there players aren't as good as advertised. There is always an exception to the rule though. But the most over rated team in NCAA football IMO is Ohio State. I would love to put USC there because I think they are overrated, but they actually have alot of players translate to the NFL.

If we have a top 10 pick......Malcom Jenkins will get payed at least 6 year, $39 + million..........I know some of you want him.... but thats not going to happen unless we move him to FS.......I like Jenkins but i dont know....... The way Ohio State use him... He remind me of Antrel Rolle.... that scares me........But anyway... we wont draft a CB that high