Shockley impressive in Falcons' QB contest

ugadawg

By STEVE WYCHE

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 07/31/08

Flowery Branch — D.J. Shockley is starting to make this quarterback competition with the Falcons a little more interesting.

Over the past few days, Shockley has begun to hit his stride and during Thursday's morning training camp practice, he finally got his turn to work with the first-team offense. Coach Mike Smith was impressed.

RELATED STORIES

Flexible time frame for picking QB

New coach taking it easy on Falcons

• More Falcons

"I thought D.J. threw the ball very well," Smith said. "He threw a couple passes, one in the team situation, one in seven-on-seven, that were very good. D.J. didn't get to go through [offseason workouts] like the other quarterbacks so it's good to see him out there."

Shockley said over the past few days, his confidence has increased, in large part because his role has. The former Georgia standout was working mainly as the No. 4 quarterback because he missed practice time over the summer recovering from a torn left knee ligament that ended his 2007 season.

Having been medically cleared, he is getting up to speed and putting himself in the mix with Chris Redman, Joey Harrington and Matt Ryan. Shockley likely will be competing to earn a roster spot, moreso than the starting job.

"Things have gotten better the last few couple days because I've gotten more reps and more time to shine," Shockley said. "The one thing I'm battling with is mentally being ready when my time is called. My opportunities have been limited so I've got to be ready and be able to make plays when I get my chance."

Vote for this story!

Buzz up!

This is good news. I like Shockley as #3 much much more than Harrington. He brings his athleticism and unbroken swagger to the table... Joey just brings a stigma of missed opportunities and shattered dreams.

Ok maybe that's a little harsh... but I definitely like DJ for the #3 spot. Joey can be a backup somewhere else.

I think homerism is the only thing haters can say, when they know they are beat.

It was meant as a joke. Kind of playing on the TATF heat this guy gets.

QB competition can only be a good thing. It will be fun to watch the team develop over the next couple of years. This year may be ugly at times, but the highlights will be great to watch. Shades of a more consistent franchise. I think (hope) we finally got the right coach/management combo in place.

I think we would be fine if Joey goes away.....we just don't need his mediocrity on this team.

I don't care if Hoey stays, I just hope we don't have to put him in this season.

Since every statement made on ths mb has to be explained, I don't have nothing much against the mighty 3 yard pass BUT I hope things go well enough with 2 & 8 that we don't see the 13 or the 3 in the game.

That would mean that our O is working and progressing. Any movement away from the 2007 offense is a winner by me. My 3 dislike is that if 3 is in the game we would be working into a scrambling scenario. I hope we never go back to the mighty "Busted Play/Run for Your Life" Offense again.

DJ Shockley is here to stay!!! GO DJ CUZ THATS MY QB

I wish DJ well since he is a Falcon. I just have other expectations.

Had 7 stiill been here and the offense was the same herky jerky thing, DJ would fit better.

I would love to see DJ come in and throw 60 TDs!

GO FALCONS!

MGEE,

That's just it. Everyone wants to classify DJ as a Vick type player, when in reality he's more of a pocket passer who has the ability to run if it's the last option or designed. I don't get the Vick comparisons. Just because he scrambles well does not mean he looks to run right off hand. Hopefully Smith sticks to his word and lets them compete. Maybe he'll get more than a series or two per game during TC.