Shockley impressive in Falcons' QB contest

ugadawg

By STEVE WYCHE

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 07/31/08

Flowery Branch — D.J. Shockley is starting to make this quarterback competition with the Falcons a little more interesting.

Over the past few days, Shockley has begun to hit his stride and during Thursday's morning training camp practice, he finally got his turn to work with the first-team offense. Coach Mike Smith was impressed.

RELATED STORIES

Flexible time frame for picking QB

New coach taking it easy on Falcons

• More Falcons

"I thought D.J. threw the ball very well," Smith said. "He threw a couple passes, one in the team situation, one in seven-on-seven, that were very good. D.J. didn't get to go through [offseason workouts] like the other quarterbacks so it's good to see him out there."

Shockley said over the past few days, his confidence has increased, in large part because his role has. The former Georgia standout was working mainly as the No. 4 quarterback because he missed practice time over the summer recovering from a torn left knee ligament that ended his 2007 season.

Having been medically cleared, he is getting up to speed and putting himself in the mix with Chris Redman, Joey Harrington and Matt Ryan. Shockley likely will be competing to earn a roster spot, moreso than the starting job.

"Things have gotten better the last few couple days because I've gotten more reps and more time to shine," Shockley said. "The one thing I'm battling with is mentally being ready when my time is called. My opportunities have been limited so I've got to be ready and be able to make plays when I get my chance."

Vote for this story!

Buzz up!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i like shockley but to say that hes making "this interesting" is just a front.. hes not going to overtake ryan because of his status and contract, its just impossible for him.

glad to hear hes doing well though. i wish he didnt get hurt last year and got a chance because he could have showed out then

Yeah that injury put a damper on his career for sure. I find it hard to imagine the Falcons will keep him, just simply for the fact that I think they will want 2 veterans on the roster with Ryan.

But it's very important for Shockley to do well in camp and preseason just for the chance of another NFL team picking him up. I wish him the best.

My goggles, my goggles... -_-

actually if you are implying homerism I for one think DJ is at best a #3 so you would be wrong. What I do see from this article is that they are giving every player a chance to earn a position from a good competition which is what is best if you want to build a true TEAM.

This would be unimaginable. I thought he looked good in his preseason appreance but never thought he had a real shot. It would make for a great story. And he could get us through a transition period better than Redman if he hits his potentiel.

i like shockley but to say that hes making "this interesting" is just a front.. hes not going to overtake ryan because of his status and contract, its just impossible for him.

glad to hear hes doing well though. i wish he didnt get hurt last year and got a chance because he could have showed out then

I'm sure they were more along the lines of him making it interesting for the last spot on the roster. Not for #1 where Ryan will eventually be.

Yeah that injury put a damper on his career for sure. I find it hard to imagine the Falcons will keep him, just simply for the fact that I think they will want 2 veterans on the roster with Ryan.

But it's very important for Shockley to do well in camp and preseason just for the chance of another NFL team picking him up. I wish him the best.

I think if they believe Ryan will be good-to-go this year then they won't have any problem keeping a project quarterback at #3, but if they think Ryan is going to need to sit out for most or all of the year then they will want Harrington as a vet back-up if Redman gets hurt.

I think if they believe Ryan will be good-to-go this year then they won't have any problem keeping a project quarterback at #3, but if they think Ryan is going to need to sit out for most or all of the year then they will want Harrington as a vet back-up if Redman gets hurt.

BINGO. I've been saying this for months now.

It's nice for someone to give him props before he gets cut.

i dont know if you serious or not, but i say go to TC before making a prediction. it could change your mind. we are in a different offense, o anything in the past doesnt matter. I also want to say well if their is a direct correlation between more reps and confidence, which leads to better play, then i say give him all the reps, and he will be amazing. :lol: my homer thing for the day.

i dont know if you serious or not, but i say go to TC before making a prediction. it could change your mind. we are in a different offense, o anything in the past doesnt matter. I also want to say well if their is a direct correlation between more reps and confidence, which leads to better play, then i say give him all the reps, and he will be amazing. :lol: my homer thing for the day.

He'd better do his best imitation of David Gerrard then.

I hope he makes the cut, I mean, team. Especially over Joey.

actually if you are implying homerism I for one think DJ is at best a #3 so you would be wrong. What I do see from this article is that they are giving every player a chance to earn a position from a good competition which is what is best if you want to build a true TEAM.

Did people not see his production during his preseason performance last year? This guy managed the game and threw some daggers. I hope he lands that 3rd spot, and I'm not just saying that because I lived in Riverdale for half my life.

good to hear, the falcons have three of the most immobile qbs ive ever witnessed they need at least one mobile qb especially in mularkeys system, he would really prosper. peace out guys.

Some of you guys have an askewed view of immobile QBs. It's either that or you're spoiled and feening for the "old days".

A QB doesn't have to move around that much if they have time to throw the ball or can read defenses fast enough.