Offensive line...

Hello, newbie here so b4 you roast me let me give my 2 cents...

Alot of you have trashed this oline along with the media, im gonna enligten you on the positives! First we have spent two first round picks on the oline in the last two drafts( Baker and Blalock), i know blalock was a 2nd but he was a first rounder for anyone with a brain, and the best guard in that class hands down. Baker was rated a top ten pick entering his senior year at USC and even with an injury only allowed 4 sacks in 558 passing plays! For comparison Jake Long who was the only lineman rated higher entering last year allowed 2 sacks. Those two are mainstays at left guard and tackle for 10 years. McClure is a saavy vet who produces and is as cerebral as any center in the league. Weiner and Clabo should have no problems holding the right side down, as soon as weiner comes back. The depth is the same as any team in the league, but are new oline coach only uses the same 5 or 6 guys to maintain good chemistry between them. so what am i missing? i know we had a bad year last year, but we were using a makeshift line (Weiner hurt, Forney hurt, Foster hurt, Gandy too old), not to mention nobody had a clue what petrino was doing. i must remind you dunn had back to back 1000 yard seasons with alot of this same line, and didnt have baker or blalock. just dont see it as weak as most people think. Dahl will surprise some by the way, ive seen him in limited action and he is NASTY!

Alot of you have trashed this oline along with the media, im gonna enligten you on the positives! First we have spent two first round picks on the oline in the last two drafts( Baker and Blalock), i know blalock was a 2nd but he was a first rounder for anyone with a brain, and the best guard in that class hands down. Baker was rated a top ten pick entering his senior year at USC and even with an injury only allowed 4 sacks in 558 passing plays! For comparison Jake Long who was the only lineman rated higher entering last year allowed 2 sacks. Those two are mainstays at left guard and tackle for 10 years. McClure is a saavy vet who produces and is as cerebral as any center in the league. Weiner and Clabo should have no problems holding the right side down, as soon as weiner comes back. The depth is the same as any team in the league, but are new oline coach only uses the same 5 or 6 guys to maintain good chemistry between them. so what am i missing? i know we had a bad year last year, but we were using a makeshift line (Weiner hurt, Forney hurt, Foster hurt, Gandy too old), not to mention nobody had a clue what petrino was doing. i must remind you dunn had back to back 1000 yard seasons with alot of this same line, and didnt have baker or blalock. just dont see it as weak as most people think. Dahl will surprise some by the way, ive seen him in limited action and he is NASTY!

It's not going to be Clabo and Weiner on the right side, if Weiner comes back. It's going to be Dahl and Weiner. Or possibly, Dahl at RG and Clabo at RT.

First we need to stop the petrino talk.He didnt get run over or out played.I dont like him but hes been a excuse for a lot of people not doing their jobs.Blalock isnt the best guard out of last years draft yet.Heck we dont know if hes going to start yet.A lot of dunns success was defense staying wide to prevent mikes bootleggs.Boudreau will help and we do have some options but we need to be realistic.

it depends on how fast weiner recovers, remember he anchored that right tackle for the last couple of years and was the best lineman on the team from 04-06 b4 his injury last year. its his job to lose. but at right guard i think there might be a platoon of clabo and dahl, and ur right that since clabo can play guard or tackle he could fill in at RT if Weiner has a setback. gotta love the way this line is shaping up, i would have loved to add Maurice Williams to compete with Weiner/Clabo but oh well

paul boudreau is a no-nonsense coach! so i dont think we'll have any slackers!

i hear that he's a good techer as well, so there will be little confusion!

the Dahl/Clabo combo sounds good, but i perfer the Clabo/Weiner combo juss cuz it puts more experience on our line!

First we need to stop the petrino talk.He didnt get run over or out played.I dont like him but hes been a excuse for a lot of people not doing their jobs.Blalock isnt the best guard out of last years draft yet.Heck we dont know if hes going to start yet.A lot of dunns success was defense staying wide to prevent mikes bootleggs.Boudreau will help and we do have some options but we need to be realistic.

I am being realistic, i never said we had the best oline or even top 10 but it is better than people are giving credit for. Like ive said wheve devoted two high draft picks and we may even pick up a vet before the season, i dont know what else the front office can do to please you guys. they have to let these guys develop somehow, with the exception of weiner and mcclure are line is very young and very physical as well.

Well I will keep worrying about this whole team thank you :D

There is just so much that is untested here we don't have a clue how they will do. But I am feeling a little about the line myself, at least as far as the run game goes. Just having a runner like Turner will help the running game, and I am sure that we will finally be using Ovie as a lead blocker.

One of the most shocking things about Quitrino was not utilizing Ovie after lobbying hard for him. We made him the highest paid FB in NFL history last year, and then down on the goal line fe wasn't used. Just by lining up Turner behind Ovie we should have great success on third downs and on the goal line. I love Warrick Dunn, but he was never my choice of back on goal line runs up the middle. As soon as that idiot Quitrino left, Emmitt Thomas had Jason Snelling in there on short yardage more with Ovie blocking and we looked better.

As far a pass blocking goes though I am more concerned. Yeah, I think Baker is a good pick, but he is still a rookie. Hopefully, the coaches will line up Hartsock beside him when he needs help against some of these monster DEs he will face.

Overall, I just gotta trust the coaching staff. Apparently, they think they have a line that can get the job done, and I have faith in them.

paul boudreau is a no-nonsense coach! so i dont think we'll have any slackers!

i hear that he's a good techer as well, so there will be little confusion!

the Dahl/Clabo combo sounds good, but i perfer the Clabo/Weiner combo juss cuz it puts more experience on our line!

I think from most news that Boudreau likes the Dahl/Clabo combo since they are both his nasty demeanor type of players.

.....As far a pass blocking goes though I am more concerned. Yeah, I think Baker is a good pick, but he is still a rookie. Hopefully, the coaches will line up Hartsock beside him when he needs help against some of these monster DEs he will face.

Just don't forget about the 'Monster' DE he (Baker) faces every day in TC/Practice! Once Baker shows that he can keep Abe off of the QB, then he shouldn't have any problem with the rest of the DE's in the NFL.

Just don't forget about the 'Monster' DE he (Baker) faces every day in TC/Practice! Once Baker shows that he can keep Abe off of the QB, then he shouldn't have any problem with the rest of the DE's in the NFL.

Abe isnt at TC, since he had a death in the family, but i have heard that he said this was the best TC has has been to since getting franchised, and didnt have to.

I went to training camp on Sunday morning and then went this morning. IMO, they look really good. Roddy's catching everything thrown his way and Turner has shown some good cuts when running. Norwood looks fast on the edges when he gets into space.

Anyways, speaking of the offensive line, I got my picture taken with big Sam Baker today. He was a really cool guy, very down to earth and friendly. I wish him the best of luck and hopes he covers our QB's blindsides during the games, I know he will :)

camera3030largexs6.th.jpg

Good post and I would not worry about the Newbie thing thanks to the latest change to the board there are a bunch of us who are newbie 's by no choice of our own.

I went to training camp on Sunday morning and then went this morning. IMO, they look really good. Roddy's catching everything thrown his way and Turner has shown some good cuts when running. Norwood looks fast on the edges when he gets into space.

Anyways, speaking of the offensive line, I got my picture taken with big Sam Baker today. He was a really cool guy, very down to earth and friendly. I wish him the best of luck and hopes he covers our QB's blindsides during the games, I know he will :)

camera3030largexs6.th.jpg

Hey i saw you at TC today. I dont know if you saw me, but i was the Black guy in the Blue seat to your left.

Every O lineman coming into the NFL out of college, is able to run block. Most colleges stress this because thier teams simply do not have the time to develop QBs and passing games. Running the ball is the main offensive weapon in the majority of college programs. So lineman coming out of college, most times, are deficient at pass blocking. So saying our linemen can run block, well...they really should be able to.

It is pass blocking where players have problems, and except for Weiner, the guys on our team have big time pass protection problems. Our O line might look good against our D line, however except for Abe and Grady, our D line leaves something to be desired. Why do you think the Falcons went out and resigned Grady? It sure was not because our D line was so good already, heh....

We do not even know if Blaylock and Baker are good enough to play in the NFL yet. That comes with them being on the field some, and Blaylock did not exactly set the league on fire last year. So I will temper my enthusiasm, okay, until I see something to be enthusiastic about.

I just hope our QB's don't get killed....

They are...no doubt making improvements. But for this year...we are still going to be hurting at this position.

First off...last year...this offensive line was owned by the opposing defenses throughout the majority of the season.

What has changed for this season?

1) We now have a 1st round pick..........great for long term but at this level....rookies rarely are able to provide an improvement. You cannot count on it.

2) Blaylock was a rookie last year......this man will be the key. He should be better. Thus...there is some hope. Its just that I was not overly impressed with him last year even by rookie standards but again...he was a rookie last year.

3) The center out of Cincy. From what I have read...he is avg at best. Avg would be an upgrade but from what I read he is not expected to even start....so no help there.

4) We have acquired a blocking TE. Maybe there is some help there...it certainly sounds better than last years plan.

So basically....here are the keys to the Falcons OL success and thus there entire team IMO.....

1) Blaylock is no longer a rookie

2) The Center out of Cincy (Stepanovich?)...assuming he starts

3) Hartsock...the TE as a blocker

That is what is different....that is what we have to hang our hats on along our OL.

I am not...by any means...a Quitrino supporter...but I saw this OL get beaten up repeatedly last year and it @#$%!*. And it occurred at the beginning of the season when there was hope and 100% effort.

They are on the right path but Its going to take time. Like it or not...this OL is going to struggle again this year.