Venom spin-off movie officially happening

Headshot

venom.jpg

Sony is swinging to make a Spider-Man spinoff movie. It’s kind of amazing that it took them this long, when you think about how much money Spider-Man has been making them.

HR reports that they’re making Venom, a movie based on the Spider-Man 3 bad guy of the same name. Of course this would be a lot easier to do if they hadn’t killed off Venom in Spider-Man 3, or if they’d even handled the character better to begin with rather than relegating him to a footnote, when really he probably deserved to be the focal point of the movie. Ah well, webbing under the bridge at this point.

Right now it’s still early in the development process. They’ve just commissioned a script to be written by Jacob Estes, best known for Mean Creek, a movie which couldn’t possibly have less to do with superheroes. That could actually be a good thing since, let’s face it, we’re operating in a post-Dark Knight superhero world and the usual comic book **** just isn’t going to cut it anymore. Come on, you’ve noticed it. All the other superhero movies you used to like have started to lose their luster. Our forums and our comments section are now filled with people pissing on superhero movies they used to love. For the record, I called it. Hey I’m not right often. Got to point it out when I am.

Who knows what Estes will come up with. Thing is, Sony may not even use it. Apparently his script is just one of several different drafts they’re having commissioned. I guess they’ll pick the best one, or put them all in a paper shredder, paste all the pieces together, and then shoot whatever they get.

As for whether Topher Grace, who played the character in Spider-Man 3, will be Venom again… it’s up in the air. Sony apparently wants someone who can carry a tentpole, and they don’t think he can. Which probably means they want a “name” which also oftetn means someone who can’t act. Why do I hear the name Josh Hartnett ringing in my head? Topher’s a great actor, the Spidey 3 script just didn’t give him a lot to work with. He’s actually perfect for the part, hopefully the folks at Sony have the spidey-sense necessary to give him a chance.

In the end, it’s all a desperate attempt to respond to the insane success of The Dark Knight. Such panic projects rarely result in real success. I love Venom, but I’ll be shocked if they can put together a spin-off that does the character justice. Spidey only worked because they brought in Raimi and gave him enough control to get the job done. This one sounds like a studio controlled project where they hire people and tell them how they’re going to make it, rather than letting them just make it. That’s bad. Actually, that’s exactly what happened to Spider-Man 3. We all know how well that worked out.

Spiderman 3 is absolutly one of the worst movies I have ever seen.

I actually considered punching myself in the face after I rented it because I wanted to punish myself for spending money on it and for wasting precious minutes of my life.

The Spiderman series has just deteriorated since the 1st one and I am praying that they just stop now so that we can begin the dormant time like the Batman series needed.

Batman is what I hoped Spiderman would be as far as movie quality but it's just not happening.

venom.jpg

Sony is swinging to make a Spider-Man spinoff movie. It’s kind of amazing that it took them this long, when you think about how much money Spider-Man has been making them.

HR reports that they’re making Venom, a movie based on the Spider-Man 3 bad guy of the same name. Of course this would be a lot easier to do if they hadn’t killed off Venom in Spider-Man 3, or if they’d even handled the character better to begin with rather than relegating him to a footnote, when really he probably deserved to be the focal point of the movie. Ah well, webbing under the bridge at this point.

Right now it’s still early in the development process. They’ve just commissioned a script to be written by Jacob Estes, best known for Mean Creek, a movie which couldn’t possibly have less to do with superheroes. That could actually be a good thing since, let’s face it, we’re operating in a post-Dark Knight superhero world and the usual comic book **** just isn’t going to cut it anymore. Come on, you’ve noticed it. All the other superhero movies you used to like have started to lose their luster. Our forums and our comments section are now filled with people pissing on superhero movies they used to love. For the record, I called it. Hey I’m not right often. Got to point it out when I am.

Who knows what Estes will come up with. Thing is, Sony may not even use it. Apparently his script is just one of several different drafts they’re having commissioned. I guess they’ll pick the best one, or put them all in a paper shredder, paste all the pieces together, and then shoot whatever they get.

As for whether Topher Grace, who played the character in Spider-Man 3, will be Venom again… it’s up in the air. Sony apparently wants someone who can carry a tentpole, and they don’t think he can. Which probably means they want a “name” which also oftetn means someone who can’t act. Why do I hear the name Josh Hartnett ringing in my head? Topher’s a great actor, the Spidey 3 script just didn’t give him a lot to work with. He’s actually perfect for the part, hopefully the folks at Sony have the spidey-sense necessary to give him a chance.

In the end, it’s all a desperate attempt to respond to the insane success of The Dark Knight. Such panic projects rarely result in real success. I love Venom, but I’ll be shocked if they can put together a spin-off that does the character justice. Spidey only worked because they brought in Raimi and gave him enough control to get the job done. This one sounds like a studio controlled project where they hire people and tell them how they’re going to make it, rather than letting them just make it. That’s bad. Actually, that’s exactly what happened to Spider-Man 3. We all know how well that worked out.

They can't screw him up any more than Marvel comics already have..trying to make him a "good guy".

I still haven't seen SP3 and probably won't.

Spiderman 3 is absolutly one of the worst movies I have ever seen.

I actually considered punching myself in the face after I rented it because I wanted to punish myself for spending money on it and for wasting precious minutes of my life.

The Spiderman series has just deteriorated since the 1st one and I am praying that they just stop now so that we can begin the dormant time like the Batman series needed.

Batman is what I hoped Spiderman would be as far as movie quality but it's just not happening.

LOL.

The problem with making a good Spiderman movie is that it's never going to have a Batman-type feel to it. The Batman comics are dark, gritty crime sagas. The Spiderman comics are about a nerdy teenage boy who gets bitten by a radioactive spider and swings around a city, delivers pizzas, and says things like "...courtesy of your friendly neighborhood Spiderman!"

I hated all the Spiderman movies, because they were incredibly corny and geared towards children. That's the problem though, there's really nothing else you can do with him, he's pretty much a child himself. There's really no character development to be had with Spiderman because he's not a mentally complex character. People like Wolverine, Iron Man, Batman, Hulk-- those guys have the ability to be deeply explored, Spiderman doesn't.

Well when Carnage and his alien spawn try to take over the world and Venom tries to stop him, that kind of makes him a hero by default.

Is that the story that they're going with? Then that's the only way it would work, going with Venom's skewed sense of "morality".

In the comics, he did feel responsible for Carnage's indiscriminate killings and did team up with Spidey a couple of times to stop him, that is, when we wasn't trying to kill him.

Is that the story that they're going with? Then that's the only way it would work, going with Venom's skewed sense of "morality".

In the comics, he did feel responsible for Carnage's indiscriminate killings and did team up with Spidey a couple of times to stop him, that is, when we wasn't trying to kill him.

I don't know what story they're actually going to go with, but there's a 99.9999% chance that Carnage is going to be the bad guy.

Hopefully they wont set it up as Hero vs. Villain, hopefully they'll go with something like Villain who doesn't want to die vs. Villain who wants to take over the world.

LOL.

The problem with making a good Spiderman movie is that it's never going to have a Batman-type feel to it. The Batman comics are dark, gritty crime sagas. The Spiderman comics are about a nerdy teenage boy who gets bitten by a radioactive spider and swings around a city, delivers pizzas, and says things like "...courtesy of your friendly neighborhood Spiderman!"

I hated all the Spiderman movies, because they were incredibly corny and geared towards children. That's the problem though, there's really nothing else you can do with him, he's pretty much a child himself. There's really no character development to be had with Spiderman because he's not a mentally complex character. People like Wolverine, Iron Man, Batman, Hulk-- those guys have the ability to be deeply explored, Spiderman doesn't.

OK where do i start? First of all. Spiderman was pretty complex back in the day in the comics. much more than batman. He was just a dude from the fifties that fought a clown and a guy in a question mark suit. The Hulk complex? Come on now. Spiderman 3 was better than the Hulk. Either one of the Hulk movies. Ill admit that Spiderman has been milked to the extreme towards the kids. But just wait. Youll soon see more Batman backpacks and underwear than Spidey. Im interested to see how GI joe fares at the box office. The toys fly off the shelves and the movie is still a year away. Strange. its not kids buying them either. Will the kids dig the movie or the parents? like Transformers. Oh well thats another thread.

Spiderman was never complex and Batman was never "just a dude who fought a clown and a guy in a question mark suit." Let's try not to confuse the campy Batman television series of the 60's with the actual gritty vigilante detective/crime fighter that Batman really was.

Spiderman's story is full of color, stupid jokes that would only make a 5th grader laugh, and the all too cliche transformation of a nerd into a "badass" if he even qualifies as one. Batman is a little bit more grounded in reality. Spiderman COULD be dark, especially with the whole story of Venom, which they absolutely destroyed in Spiderman 3 (Which was not better than The Incredible Hulk, imo) by making him a corny little emo kid instead of a person driven to near insanity by a symbiote alien life form intruding into his mind.

And yes The Hulk is one of the most complex characters in comics. During the mid 90's Marvel decided that they wanted to be ******** and turn him into a huge green moron who could only say "HULK SMASH!" and other nonsensical, brutish comments. The Hulk that they have now is a much more layered character, and any time you have someone with a split personality, in which one side is a haunted, do-good scientist and the other is a raging psychopath it makes for great story telling.

**** am I a nerd.

I was so pissed Spiderman Cut him Out of the Film, I wanted more Venom in it. Then, kill him bad call.

Everybody did, except for Sam Raimi. He admitted before they announced the villain for Spiderman 2 that if he had his way, Venom would never be in a Spiderman movie because he hates the character. The fan outcry for Venom to appear in Spiderman 3 was too much for him to overcome, so instead of pouring everything he could into the Venom character and swallowing his pride, he decided to piss all over the Venom fans by making the Sandman (An incredibly boring, stupid character) the main villain and using Harry Osbourne as a 3rd villain all in an attempt to give as little screen time as possible to Venom, who should have been the main bad guy in the movie.

Spiderman was never complex and Batman was never "just a dude who fought a clown and a guy in a question mark suit." Let's try not to confuse the campy Batman television series of the 60's with the actual gritty vigilante detective/crime fighter that Batman really was.

Spiderman's story is full of color, stupid jokes that would only make a 5th grader laugh, and the all too cliche transformation of a nerd into a "badass" if he even qualifies as one. Batman is a little bit more grounded in reality. Spiderman COULD be dark, especially with the whole story of Venom, which they absolutely destroyed in Spiderman 3 (Which was not better than The Incredible Hulk, imo) by making him a corny little emo kid instead of a person driven to near insanity by a symbiote alien life form intruding into his mind.

And yes The Hulk is one of the most complex characters in comics. During the mid 90's Marvel decided that they wanted to be ******** and turn him into a huge green moron who could only say "HULK SMASH!" and other nonsensical, brutish comments. The Hulk that they have now is a much more layered character, and any time you have someone with a split personality, in which one side is a haunted, do-good scientist and the other is a raging psychopath it makes for great story telling.

**** am I a nerd.

What era of Batman are you talking about?

Headshot.

comicguy.gif

;) ;)

:lol:

heh, if they do a decent job of Venom, I'd be ok with it. I'm more curious to find out who is gonna play Thor in the movies. Headshot, for some scary reason, I think you and I could have a long, drawn out conversation about comic books, heh.

Glad I'm not the only one. Some people are a nerd about Star Wars or Lord of the Rings, or they're a football or baseball nerd because they collect cards and memorize everyone's career stats or they're a Star Trek fan or they're a Halo or Final Fantasy or just video games in general nerd.

My nerdism is for movies, and comic books. Although I don't read them anymore, I probably had close to 150 when I was younger. Me and my friends used to trade comic books just like we used to trade baseball cards. Good times.

:lol:

Glad I'm not the only one. Some people are a nerd about Star Wars or Lord of the Rings, or they're a football or baseball nerd because they collect cards and memorize everyone's career stats or they're a Star Trek fan or they're a Halo or Final Fantasy or just video games in general nerd.

My nerdism is for movies, and comic books. Although I don't read them anymore, I probably had close to 150 when I was younger. Me and my friends used to trade comic books just like we used to trade baseball cards. Good times.

**** I learn more from you on these comic book based movies then I do from anything else i read on the web.

I am also having a hard time understanding how they will use Venom since they decided to kill him.

I've not been a big enough fan of any newer books to pick them up, I should finish the sets that I already have. Do you still keep your old comic books?

I do still have some. I bought last year's entire Marvel: Civil War crossover even, but I never read it. They're all still in their plastic. I figured I'd buy them as they came out and maybe one day they'd be worth something. I also have like 1-23 of Cable & Deadpool, again still in their plastic, and then I have some older Deadpool comics that I read a long time ago.

Deadpool is finally getting his own comic book again starting in September, so I'm definitely going to buy those, because it's been about 10 years since he's had his own comic book and he's always been my favorite character, and I might actually read those because the first 5 books in the series are part of the Secret Invasion crossover Marvel is doing this year.

I still keep up with what's going on in the comics in case something happens that will be memorable and possibly be worth something one day so I can buy it.

**** I learn more from you on these comic book based movies then I do from anything else i read on the web.

I am also having a hard time understanding how they will use Venom since they decided to kill him.

Maybe the symbiote didn't really die, or maybe they'll just act like Spiderman 3 never happenes, which is probably what they should do.

I do still have some. I bought last year's entire Marvel: Civil War crossover even, but I never read it. They're all still in their plastic. I figured I'd buy them as they came out and maybe one day they'd be worth something. I also have like 1-23 of Cable & Deadpool, again still in their plastic, and then I have some older Deadpool comics that I read a long time ago.

Deadpool is finally getting his own comic book again starting in September, so I'm definitely going to buy those, because it's been about 10 years since he's had his own comic book and he's always been my favorite character, and I might actually read those because the first 5 books in the series are part of the Secret Invasion crossover Marvel is doing this year.

I still keep up with what's going on in the comics in case something happens that will be memorable and possibly be worth something one day so I can buy it.

Maybe the symbiote didn't really die, or maybe they'll just act like Spiderman 3 never happenes, which is probably what they should do.

The symbiote didnt die. Eddie Brock died. Samples of the symbiote were still left too.