Erik Coleman - Finally a good FS?

I can't even remember the last time the Falcons had a good FS... Lawyer is the best SS we've had in a long time and we've gone through horrid safeties like Bryan Scott, Keion Carpenter, Chris Crocker and never got what we expected...

Yeh I know all the buzz is about Brent Grimes right now but what about E.C... The guy has like 5 picks in TC already, if this translates over to the games we could have a better than expected secondary with the safeties being more important in this scheme.

Coleman could turn out to be something special but based on his previous work I wouldn't say that he is going to be a pro-bowl level FS for us.

Keion Carpenter by the way was pretty solid for us until he got hurt in the playoff game.

The years before last year (Which i beleive he got took over from starting by rhodes or something, dont know) he had a 100+ total tackles, and 4, 2, 1 int's in 3 years. Id say he is pretty dang good that coleman dude is.

Last good safety combo I can remember was Eugene Robinson/William White. If they are even close to that good, we're set at safety.

Loved that combination. Just solid defense.

The defense was:

Lester Archambeau- DE

Travis Hall-DT

Shane Dronett-DT

Chuck Smith-DT

Henri Crockett-LOLB

Jessie Tuggle-MLB

Cornelius Bennett-ROLB

Ray Buchanan-LCB

Ronnie Bradford-RCB

Eugene Robins-FS

William White-SS

I remember looking at that defense afterwards and thinking, "man how did it come together where we got those guys at the right times." It wasn't a group of physically gifted guys but it was a group of players that hustled continuously and they played smart.

I remember watching defensive lineman chase down running backs and recievers twenty yards downfield and make the tackles because they just never gave up.

I believe the line coach was Bill Kolar (?).

Fun times for sure.

Scott was actually good and showed promise at the start of his career........but i think after getting hurt he wasnt the same

i agree. he wasnt great, but he got the job done until i think he got a concussion. after that it seemed like he was always afraid to make any big hit.

for some reason whenever i think of scott, i remember him trying to defend the goalline against mike alstott by taking his legs out, but instead mike just jumped right over him for a touchdown...bad memories

Yeah Coleman is looking good so far, and all we need is a solid FS there. He doesn't need to be a pro-bowler. That position has been a huge weakness for years now, and it looks like they have found the answer in Coleman.

He is a veteran with a ton of game experience, so I am sure he will do just as well in games as he has in camp. It's not like the guy is some rookie afterall.

I was at camp saturday and coleman made a good pick on a deep ball over the top of the wr.Hes not tall so hes a bit deceptive.I think hes a upgrade but Im not sure hes a pure freesafety.Kind of a hybrid saftey corner mix.I need to see more play before I get a opinion on if he could go strong safety.I saw jets games on replay and they had him at the line and blitzing so he might be able to do both.

I think he was a good pickup. My understanding was the Mangini defense switch in NY called for a different type of safety. Look at all the talent on defense they got rid of, like Dewayne Robertson (or Roberts, a number 4 overall DT that didn't fit in a 3-4) and Vilma, who didn't fit that 3-4 either. Or atleast Mangini's 3-4. Seems like he got stuck in a bad situation, but before Mangini came there he was supposed to be a **** good safety.

Good pickup by Dimitroff (I think/hope).

I was at camp saturday and coleman made a good pick on a deep ball over the top of the wr.Hes not tall so hes a bit deceptive.I think hes a upgrade but Im not sure hes a pure freesafety.Kind of a hybrid saftey corner mix.I need to see more play before I get a opinion on if he could go strong safety.I saw jets games on replay and they had him at the line and blitzing so he might be able to do both.

I think that was part of the problem the Jets had him at SS and he is more of a true FS type from what I have read and heard.

Yeah Coleman is looking good so far, and all we need is a solid FS there. He doesn't need to be a pro-bowler. That position has been a huge weakness for years now, and it looks like they have found the answer in Coleman.

He is a veteran with a ton of game experience, so I am sure he will do just as well in games as he has in camp. It's not like the guy is some rookie afterall.

I'm of the believe that we need a pro-bowler everywhere!

As for B. Scott I was very unhappy with that pick. We had no 1st that year so he was our highest pick. It seems that he was drafted by Reeves in order to match up with the trend of bigger WR's but about a week into camp I think the Falcons realized that he couldn't match up with any receiver so they tried to use his athletcism at safety.

He looked good at safety for one game where he was a monster in SF to open the 04 season. Unfortunately he got a concussion and as far as I know he hasn't done a thing since.

So far Scott has had one great game in his career and I don't see another one coming.

Bad pick by Reeves and I happen to have alot of respect for Reeves but that one I didn't understand.

if he is a probowler that would be nice though because teams are not afraid to throw at us with the players we have in our secondary

Coleman is a good not great free safety, i saw him at tennesee and the jets. he is about as physical as milloy a true head hunter if you wish (he caused 8! Forced fumbles in one season)! His only weakness is a lack of pure speed, but vangorder's cover 2 scheme this season should fit coleman like a glove, he can be the ballhawk and fumble producer he loves to be. i think we will be set at free safety with him and decoud for at least the next 5 years. peace out.

You are exactly correct if you say that performance in TC does not mean all that much. Indeed....its the pre season games that help dictate how well a player can play.

Case in pt.....anyone remember Edgerton Hartwell?

Man....if he was even 1/10 as good as the folks on this board said he was going to be....he would have been hall of fame bound.

You would have thought he was a **** Butkus reincarnate.

I never saw anything from the guy during those pre season games but everyone said...its just pre season.

What a disappointment.

So its true for me....pre season games can give you a real idea of a player....especially one that is trying to prove himself.

You are exactly correct if you say that performance in TC does not mean all that much. Indeed....its the pre season games that help dictate how well a player can play.

Case in pt.....anyone remember Edgerton Hartwell?

Man....if he was even 1/10 as good as the folks on this board said he was going to be....he would have been hall of fame bound.

You would have thought he was a **** Butkus reincarnate.

I never saw anything from the guy during those pre season games but everyone said...its just pre season.

Edgerton was the slowest MLB I have seen in my life. He was an extra dissapointment cause he was supposed to the final missing cog to our superbowl run.