Nothing says rebuilding like getting a new manager

KingPickles

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was a decade ago. Time to bury those memories with that manager. A new day is sawning

Catch the sarcasm? I'm not defending him and I've never considered those stupid attempts to absolve him as anything but nonsense, even ten years ago. It's absolutely insane to continue to try and squeeze anything out of that now.

while i agree that a managerial change could be a good thing for the braves, bobby is a 1st ballot HOF manager. he's right up there with Joe Paterno and Bobby Bowden......all 3 will coach until they're **** well ready to hang it up......not when a portion of the fan base is ready for them to go. Bobby's here until he's ready to hang it up.

I honestly don't understand the anti-Cox feelings on this board, or anywhere for that matter.

Cox (and Schuerholz) have created a feeling about Atlanta that isn't present with any other Atlanta sports franchise. Atlanta is a place where people want to go.

Off the top of my head, people like Ken Griffey Jr. and Roy Oswalt have all either said they would waive their no-trade clause or outright say "Atlanta is my first choice".

Not to mention the people we did actually sign/trade for: Greg Maddux, Tim Hudson, re-signing Tom Glavine, J.D. Drew, Brian Jordan, etc.

Why would we get rid of one of the only good things about ATL sports?

Obviously Braves fans are not interested in being the winningest team over a time span of almost two decades.

I am as critical as the next guy of some of Cox's moves, particularly in the playoffs.

But this guy is a surefire 1st ballot HOF, and should be in any argument for the top 5 managers of this generation. Why on earth someone would want to get rid of him is truly baffling.

Bobby Cox has done more for Atlanta sports than anyone else in sports history.

I honestly don't understand the anti-Cox feelings on this board, or anywhere for that matter.

Cox (and Schuerholz) have created a feeling about Atlanta that isn't present with any other Atlanta sports franchise. Atlanta is a place where people want to go.

Absolutely. There seems to be a divide on this topic between older and younger Braves fans. People in their 30s remember the time before Cox where we were what the KC Royals are now. Bobby Cox could manage another dozen years and I'd be happy about it.

Absolutely. There seems to be a divide on this topic between older and younger Braves fans. People in their 30s remember the time before Cox where we were what the KC Royals are now. Bobby Cox could manage another dozen years and I'd be happy about it.

You have truly fallen in love with mediocrity then, and that is a sad thing. I hope the rest of the Braves fans don't share your opinion, that would be horrible if they did.

We can all cling to what Cox has done for us over the last two decades, but reality is that he has cost this team a few games this year with poor decisions.

This season is marred by a freakish amount of injuries, particularly to 4 of our 5 opening day starters, not by a few decisions by the manager.

This season is marred by a freakish amount of injuries, particularly to 4 of our 5 opening day starters, not by a few decisions by the manager.

You cannot sit there and tell me that there have been no "head-scratching" decisions that he has made this year.

Everybody and their mother knew that Yunel Escobar was sucking at the leadoff spot. Bobby kept him there when Yunel openly admitted that it wasn't his most comfortable spot.

Continuously using Manny Acosta in close games when Acosta couldn't get anybody out was plain ridiculous. I'm all for giving the ball to a guy in hopes that he'll come out of a funk, but not when the game is on the line.

Kelly Johnson is one of the best hitters in the league against LHP, yet Bobby has been platooning him with Martin Prado.

I shouldn't even have to bring up the Francoeur mess.

You cannot sit there and tell me that there have been no "head-scratching" decisions that he has made this year.

Everybody and their mother knew that Yunel Escobar was sucking at the leadoff spot. Bobby kept him there when Yunel openly admitted that it wasn't his most comfortable spot.

Continuously using Manny Acosta in close games when Acosta couldn't get anybody out was plain ridiculous. I'm all for giving the ball to a guy in hopes that he'll come out of a funk, but not when the game is on the line.

Kelly Johnson is one of the best hitters in the league against LHP, yet Bobby has been platooning him with Martin Prado.

I shouldn't even have to bring up the Francoeur mess.

Yet when Bobby allows Kelly to continue hitting when he first came up to the Majors and went through something like an 0-30 streak, he was praised for recognizing talent and giving the guy a chance.

I will agree, there are some decisions that didn't feel quite right, but sometimes that is what it takes to be a great manager. A risk is something worth taking, and you certainly can't blame Bobby for trying.

How is 14 straight division championships mediocrity?

Oh my God people keep bringing this up.

Who gives a rat's *** about division championships when they don't lead to World Series titles? I mean seriously, all those stupid yellow banners hanging around Turner Field do NOTHING other than remind all the fans how pathetic it is to make it to the playoffs 15 straight years and only have 1 title to show for it.

That's like bragging about the Falcons being the NFC South Division Champions in 2005, lol. Nobody cares unless you win it all.

Y'all who want Bobby gone: I'm curious...

Who would you get to manage the team?

Anyone who had major league coaching experience and had a fiery attitude and a desire to win- two things that Blobby no longer has. If Bobby coached in Boston or New York he would have been out on his *** a LONG time ago. But Atlanta accepts mediocrity because they 'remember the bad days.' How about moving your thought process into the present.

Look, we can argue this all day and all night. We can hopefully all agree that next season will probably be Bobby's last; therefore we need to find a replacement for him.

I don't understand the whole fascination with promoting someone already in the organization. I keep hearing TP's as the most likely candidates. For that I have to ask...why? There are probably a ton of guys all throughout baseball that are more qualified and better suited as a MLB manager.

Oh my God people keep bringing this up.

Who gives a rat's *** about division championships when they don't lead to World Series titles? I mean seriously, all those stupid yellow banners hanging around Turner Field do NOTHING other than remind all the fans how pathetic it is to make it to the playoffs 15 straight years and only have 1 title to show for it.

That's like bragging about the Falcons being the NFC South Division Champions in 2005, lol. Nobody cares unless you win it all.

No argument there, we only won 1 World Series, but you mentioned mediocrity, and those "stupid yellow banners" are the opposite of mediocrity. We all wish we had won more championships, but some of us realize that there isn't anyone else who could have done it better than Bobby Cox, and there probably still isn't.