Ludacris' Obama song

Vargil

I'm not even sure why AJC decided it was worth a story but I will let you all decide.

Ludacris raps for Obama (and even Obama isn't happy)

By RICHARD L. ELDREDGE

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 07/30/08

Atlanta rapper Ludacris has thrown his support firmly behind presidential candidate Barack Obama via his latest recording, "Politics (Obama is Here)"

The problem?

The Obama camp isn't exactly embracing the profanity laced song that also takes pokes at George W. Bush, Hillary Clinton and John McCain.

In past interviews, Obama has stated that he likes Luda's music.

In the song, posted on youtube.com, Ludacris raps of himself: "You never should have doubted with a slot in the prez's iPod/I'm one of his favorite rappers." Later in the two minute song, he adds: "You can't stop what's about to happen/The first black president/We going to paint the White House black/The world is ready for change because Obama is here."

In the rap, the performer who was born Chris Bridges, calls the current president "the worst," refers to Clinton using a less than genteel definition of a female canine and mocks McCain's age and suggests he needs a wheelchair.

On The Politico.com, political blogger Ben Smith reports that the Obama camp is condemning the song. The site posted the following quote from Obama spokesperson Bill Burton: "As Barack Obama has said many, many times in the past, rap lyrics today too often perpetuate misogyny, materialism, and degrading images that he doesn't want his daughters or any children exposed to. This song is not only outrageously offensive to Senator Clinton, Reverend Jackson, Senator McCain, and President Bush, it is offensive to all of us who are trying to raise our children with the values we hold dear. While Ludacris is a talented individual he should be ashamed of these lyrics."

"Are you serious?!" asked Atlantan DJ Drama when we rang him about the controversy Wednesday. He has included the track on his latest mixtape project, "Gangsta Grillz: The Preview," a collaboration with Bridges. "Well, this involves two people I highly respect. And from a position of just believing in freedom of speech, I feel [Ludacris] expressed himself in a manner he felt necessary. I also know all eyes are on Barack Obama because of the position he's in. So before someone like Fox News attaches him to it, [Obama] had to do he what he had to. I understand. I think Luda would understand. And it doesn't change my opinion on who I'm going to vote for."

Press reps for Obama did not immediately return our calls Wednesday.

Q100's Bert Show first played the song for listeners Wednesday morning. Feedback was mixed.

On Wednesday afternoon, V-103 program director Reggie Rouse was just learning about the track and was headed to youtube for a listen.

Of the song's chances of being added to his rotation, Rouse told the AJC: "I'm going to take a listen. But anything Luda does right now is going to be considered."

When snatches of the lyrics were read to V103 morning man Frank Ski Wednesday, he laughed and said: "Wow, that would be Luda right there. His oratory skills are out of here. He's amazing and he gets his point across. He's speaking his mind and sparking some controversy. But music has always spoken out against politics. Look at what Public Enemy did way back. The difference with Luda is that he's so crossover everyone hears what he has to say."

Staff writer Sonia Murray contributed to this story.

I, for one, think that it's bad timing on Luda's part.

This recording of his could had the undesired effect of swaying alot of the on-the-fringe, undecided voters away from Obama.

I definitely agree with that. I don't get why people who support him don't understand that to be controversial in any manner undermines his campaign. It just gives people fuel to make insinuations.

Obama, technically, is not any more black than he is white. I bet if you did a poll at least 1/3 of the people out there wouldn't even know he has a white mother. Of course, 1/3 of the people out there are beyond ignorant and probably get their news from "Yo, MTV Rocks".

Ludacris did Obama no favors. Using the b-word on Hilary Clinton? Saying McCain should be in a wheelchair? He shouldn't have talked about them like that. Not everybody is going to be able to laugh it off. Ludacris went far too negative on those people. Had he just made a song that was positive about Obama, there would be no problem. As it is, it's almost like Ludacris handed McCain a huge weapon to use against Obama.

That being said, Obama should not be held responsible for this song or Ludacris. They were the words of another person and Obama shouldn't spend his time censoring another grown man. I'm surprised the right wingers haven't jumped all over this story yet.

Obama should just go ahead and tell all rappers to stay out of it. He doesn't need their help.

Yeah but then they get their feelings all hurt instead of just understanding and get mad. Next thing we know they (Kanye West) is saying F* Obama

i think you guys are really giving this more weight then it really has. i doubt many people are honestly not going to vote for obama for something ludacris made.

You'd be surprised. People have voted against less.

Anyway, Hannity, Rush and O'Reilly are really running with this one. Then again, it could also help him if they decide to linger on it too long.