Uniiversity of Pittsburgh tailback LeSean McCoy "definitely" thinking about leaving early for the NFL.

atljbo

Link

Pitt's McCoy evasive about NFL intentions

By Kevin Gorman

TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Buzz up!

Post to MySpace!

StumbleUpon Toolbar

NEWPORT, R.I. - LeSean McCoy was as evasive at Big East media day about whether he will declare for the NFL draft after this season as he is carrying the football.

The Pitt sophomore tailback admitted that playing in the NFL is "definitely" on his mind, but he was non-committal about any intentions of following former Panthers' All-American Larry Fitzgerald's path to the pros after two seasons of college.

Like Fitzgerald, the Pro Bowl receiver for the Arizona Cardinals, McCoy attended a prep school before enrolling at Pitt. NCAA rules allow players three years removed from high school to declare hardship for early entry into the NFL draft.

"I don't worry about that," said McCoy, who ran for a Big East rookie-record 1,328 yards and a school-record 14 touchdowns last fall. "As long as I come into the season focused on what I'm going to do, that stuff will take care of itself. I'm not ready to go to the pros. Those guys are grown men who have to support a family. I'm not ready for (Brian) Urlacher or Ray Lewis. I've got to take my time and enjoy college.

"Definitely, it's in the back of my mind. With this sport, this position I play, anything can happen. But, on the same token, to play on that level you've got to be prepared physically and mentally. It's a whole different step. That's the real world. It's in the back of my mind but far in the back of my mind."

Next year draft will be deep