Tim Hudson needs Tommy John surgery

jidady

All those division titles have caught up to us. No team on earth could deal with all the injuries we have had. I think every starting pitcher this year has gone done to major injuries. We are going to be rebuilding for several year trying to recover from all these injuries.

AJC says he's expected to have the surgery immediately in order to pitch during the second half of next season. It's an eerily similar situation to Chris Carpenter's, actually. He didn't have surgery until last July. They shut him down on July 19 and he had the surgery around the 25th.

Is it possible that we've seen the last of Tim Hudson on the mound? Assuming he doesn't pitch next season, I wonder if the Braves would pick up his option for 2010.

I'm going off of memory here, so let me know if I have his contract situation wrong.

I am pretty sure that the option is what Schuerholz calls an "Evergreen Option" which requires Hudson to pitch a certain number of innings to be automatically picked up.

I could see the option not be picked up, and Hudson sign a 1-year deal, with incentives, that would allow him to comeback with the team.

SMH

Does it ever end? They have GOT to pick up a big name pitcher this offseason. This is getting ridiculous

I say "**** no" to signing Ben Sheets. That's a disaster waiting to happen. As for Sabathia, he is said to want Johan Santana-type money. I'll pass on that one, too. The other big-name pitcher is John Lackey. I think he has an option for 2009, which the Angels will probably pick up. With K-Rod leaving after the season, they'll most likely have enough money to sign him.

I just don't see any great option that stands out.

I'm not sold on Sheets either. I doubt the Angels will part with Lackey either. The Reds have a load of good pitchers, but at what cost to get one....

My family is from Cinci and every year they talk about these great pitchers, but none of them produce.

Aaron Harang has supposed to become this ace for them, and his record was pretty weak last time I checked.

Bronson Arroyo's salary nearly triples next season, and I would assume that Homer Bailey & Johnny Cueto are untouchable, not to mention Edinson Volquez.

I say "**** no" to signing Ben Sheets. That's a disaster waiting to happen. As for Sabathia, he is said to want Johan Santana-type money. I'll pass on that one, too. The other big-name pitcher is John Lackey. I think he has an option for 2009, which the Angels will probably pick up. With K-Rod leaving after the season, they'll most likely have enough money to sign him.

I just don't see any great option that stands out.

looks like Derek Lowe, Jon Garland, A.J. Burnett, and Brad Penny are the best options then....joy!!

Linky Linky

My family is from Cinci and every year they talk about these great pitchers, but none of them produce.

Aaron Harang has supposed to become this ace for them, and his record was pretty weak last time I checked.

Bronson Arroyo's salary nearly triples next season, and I would assume that Homer Bailey & Johnny Cueto are untouchable, not to mention Edinson Volquez.

I think it's about time for a "change of scenery" for Homer Bailey. He gave up something like 15 hits in 4+ innings the other day.

Arroyo could be had next year, but he's just a hittable, innings-eater.

Yes, I just heard that and did the appropriate double take. People in the organization will get him to come to his senses on that, but that is an impressive sentiment. The team is going nowhere but since we're reeling, he wants to step up. That's what men do.

Yes, I just heard that and did the appropriate double take. People in the organization will get him to come to his senses on that, but that is an impressive sentiment. The team is going nowhere but since we're reeling, he wants to step up. That's what men do.

This season is a lost cause. They only thing to fight for is to get a little above .500, and the odds are getting worse. I'd rather him going ahead and get it over with, so he doesn't have to wait for the 2010 season to pitch.

This is kind of strange. I was just playing Halo with a friend of mine who works for ESPN Radio. He says the Braves are in the market for a frontline starter if one becomes available. They're being proactive and don't want to wait until the off-season. A couple of teams have given them "are you serious about this?" phone calls.