Oher or Smith next year?

I have a feeling that "Short Arms" Sam Baker will get embarrassed this season , and rightfully so, hes more suited as a RT, but seeing as we have no one better to stick at left we have to suffer there.

Enter the 2009 draft. We will more than likely have a Top 5 pick. Our biggest needs will be Offensive Line, Defensive Tackle and Safety.

Depndeing on where we select, Michael Oher and Andre Smith* will be on the board. Both are ELITE LT prospects, and both have tremendous upside.

Oher has been compared to Orlando Pace and Walter Jones, he's a monster, a hard worker, and is the perfect size for a legitimate LT(6'5 318)

Smith is the lesser ranked tackle, but expected to go in the Top 5 as well, he's started at Alabama since day one at left tackle, and is improving dramatically. Being coached by the legendary Nick Saban can only help his development. He also stands at 6'5.

Some other names to look out for are Michael Crabtree*, Malcolm Jenkins, Myron Rolle and Vince Oghobaase*

(* denotes Jr.)

I think everyone's going to be pleasantly surprised with how well Sam Baker performs. There's a reason this guy was projected as a top 10 pick a little over a year ago. People started looking for any flaws that they could find with him. They got locked in on the "short-arm theory" and won't let it die. He was one of the most fundamentally-sound LTs I've ever seen from a college OT.

I want to watch both Oher and Smith play this season before I pass judgement on which I'd rather have. I've seen Oher play a few times, and came away pretty impressed. I haven't seen Smith too much, but I will be recording as many Alabama games as possible to get a good gauge on his talents.

I think everyone's going to be pleasantly surprised with how well Sam Baker performs. There's a reason this guy was projected as a top 10 pick a little over a year ago. People started looking for any flaws that they could find with him. They got locked in on the "short-arm theory" and won't let it die. He was one of the most fundamentally-sound LTs I've ever seen from a college OT.

I want to watch both Oher and Smith play this season before I pass judgement on which I'd rather have. I've seen Oher play a few times, and came away pretty impressed. I haven't seen Smith too much, but I will be recording as many Alabama games as possible to get a good gauge on his talents.

Bingo. I want to wait and watch this season go before I throw Baker under the bus. As far as Oher & Smith, I'd have to go with Oher. The guy is just so physically dominating and IMO is the next elite LT.

Personally I think we will look for a RT in this years draft. Alex Boone will be high up on our draft board. He is comparable to Jake Long, and he could project to a RT for us. TD has shown an interest in Ohio State players, and Boone is the type of blue collar player that we could use.

Alex Boone looks to be a nice pick. Especially at the RT position, though a Top 5 pick on him would be too much.

Also believe me, I want Sam to succeed, we gave up a lot to get the guy. But if he fails at LT, there is a chance that we can get a potential hall of fame type player to take up the LT position and then try Baker on the right side.