New Jarvis Jones article

jgator21

COLUMBUS, (Ga.) - He's big, he's bad, he's the best recruit in Georgia this year and now Jarvis Jones has six schools on top of his radar.

Who has made the cut for the prized four-star linebacker?

"Georgia, Florida, Clemson, Texas, LSU, Southern Cal and Miami," Jones told Tigerillustrated.com Monday morning at his high school. "Summer has been going great. I went to Florida, Texas, Clemson, LSU and Georgia, all great schools and great places."

What gushing words does the nation's No. 4 outside linebacker have for the finalists?

Georgia - "Home school. You have to look at your home school. They are a good school and are not far from home."

Clemson - "Awe man, they were my first offer. Coaches that I get real good communication from. It's a school that I like and a school that stands out. They just have great football there. (Tight ends) coach (Billy) Napier is a real laid-back dude. Him and I have a real good relationship. He tells me everything I need to know and he wants me there."

LSU - "That D. The coaches there are pretty cool. The facilities (stood out) and they are the National Champions. Coach (Les) Miles is real laid-back, pretty cool and seems like a great coach."

Texas - "Texas is a great place. They live football there."

Florida - "I love the Florida Gators. They are one of my favorite schools. They've got a great program, great players and a good coaching staff. Their defense is crazy. You have to have a crazy defense."

USC - "They have a great program. They have some good linebackers there. They know how to get it done. They have a good coaching staff and put players in the league."

Miami - "Miami is Linebackers U, they say. Most all of the great linebackers come out of Miami. They produce some good players in the league. It's a great school, man."

One of the nation's top recruits plans to play his senior season, then take five official visits and then announce on National Signing Day.

What does the does No. 39 overall prospect in the country regardless of position hope for in his eventual choice?

"Comfortability, I want to be comfortable wherever I go," he detailed. "I know I can't make a wrong decision because all of my choices are big schools that are real hard education-wise. I want to be comfortable and have good communication with my position coach. I've qualified to meet and go to any school I want to."

Who is after him the hardest?

"LSU, Clemson, pretty much all of them are," the Rivals100 member pointed out. "It's going to be one of the bigger decisions I'm going to make in my life."

The 6-foot-4, 220-pound Peach State product listed the assistant coaches he has the best rapport with.

"(Running backs) coach (Larry) Porter, (linebackers) coach Ken Norton out at USC, (defensive coordinator) coach (Will) Muschamp at Texas, (tight ends) coach (Billy) Napier at Clemson, (tight ends) coach (John) Hevesy at Florida and (linebackers) coach Michael Barrow at Miami," the No. 2 most athletic linebacker in America, per Rivals.com, listed.

Some colleges view the standout as possibly a weakside defensive end or even a tight end on the next level. But his heart is at linebacker.

"It's very important. All of the schools that think I'm going to play defensive end are going to see the change this year," the powerful defender boasted. "I've been working hard this summer on my hips, doing yoga, and stretching and stuff like that. They are going to see a whole new change this year."

The 2007 Tommy Bowden Camp participant, who will participate in the US Army All-American Game, racked up 144 tackles, 18 tackles for loss, four sacks, two interceptions and five forced fumbles last fall helping Columbus (GA) Carver to the Class AAA state championship in football and averaged 18 points and 12 rebounds per game helping the Tigers to a runner-up state finish in basketball.

He was named the AAA Defensive Player of the Year in football en route to being an AAA All-State selection and also earned All-State honors in basketball.

What lies ahead for an encore?

"Individually for me to get better and to be more mental this year and more of a leader, that's what I want to accomplish," Jones concluded. "Team-wise, get better as a team and get stronger. Hopefully finish the same way as last year and even stronger."