One reason I think Chris Houston could be on thin ice...

I listened to the Dimitroff podcast earlier today (nice job AF.com staff). When he was talking about CB's, the thing that he stressed about success at that position was that a player can look oh so beautiful in terms of their hip turn, back pedal and sprint and all those drill traits that scouts seem to look for in the position. However, the player is going to fail if he does not have or develop his ball skills.

Coming out of Arkansas, this was the major detraction on Houston if I remember correctly. Fact is, he only had but 3 INT's in college and none so far in the pros.

Some Scouting Reports on Houston

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/prospe...is_houston.html

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile...rospect_ID=1183

One other thing...Houston partly made his reputation off of shutting down receivers like Dwayne Jarrett and Robert Meachem during his junior season. And coming out of college, that looked like some big time talent, but a year into both of their careers - they are struggling as well. He also performed well against Dwayne Bowe who did excel in his rookie year - so that still holds water.

Not saying Houston can't succeed...it was just interesting to hear our GM discuss CB's and point out one of our key draft picks from '07 big weakness.

the scouting report on houston coming out of college was that he didnt have great hands, but could cover, had great speed and was very physical. as long as he is covering people and doing a pretty good job im cool. chevis who will most likely play on the other side of him is a little bit the opposite. he has great hands, not great speed but can also cover and was very physical. al harris only gets a couple of INTs a year but is known as one of the best corners in the league because of his covering abilities.

the scouting report on houston coming out of college was that he didnt have great hands, but could cover, had great speed and was very physical. as long as he is covering people and doing a pretty good job im cool. chevis who will most likely play on the other side of him is a little bit the opposite. he has great hands, not great speed but can also cover and was very physical. al harris only gets a couple of INTs a year but is known as one of the best corners in the league because of his covering abilities.

But that's the point...there are alot of guys who can cover but if you can't make a play on the ball teams/offenses will recognize that and start to pick on that DB. How many times have you heard that in the NFL, a 1/2 step means you are open? Houston may be step for step with a guy but NFL WR's will go and get the ball and if Houston's ball skills don't improve and are subpar, the risk of turnover is decreased and thus the chance for success (for the offense) increases.

As much as I was for letting DeAngelo go because I thought he was 1) overrated and 2) too costly, he was very good at locating and getting the ball.

Houston seems to have no desire to go for INT's, he never really turns his head on plays to look for the ball and I think it'll hurt him. He is just a physical CB.

Many of us discussed Houston's lack of being physical last year. When he finally did get physical (in one game) the ZEBRAS called foul, so that was the end of that.

do you think we got rid of the wrong player

Hall sat down with our new coaching staff this offseason and told Mike Smith he did;t believe in the defensivce scheme we were implementing and did not want to play here anymore. He openly threatened to hold out of camp as well if we didn't make him the highest paid CB in the NFL when he couldn;t even make the Pro Bowl after getting burned so much last year.

When you weigh the situation, it is Hall's fault he is no longer here. If he were an unselfish, team player that really wanted to be a Falcon he would still be here.

I listened to the Dimitroff podcast earlier today (nice job AF.com staff). When he was talking about CB's, the thing that he stressed about success at that position was that a player can look oh so beautiful in terms of their hip turn, back pedal and sprint and all those drill traits that scouts seem to look for in the position. However, the player is going to fail if he does not have or develop his ball skills.

Coming out of Arkansas, this was the major detraction on Houston if I remember correctly. Fact is, he only had but 3 INT's in college and none so far in the pros.

Some Scouting Reports on Houston

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/prospe...is_houston.html

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile...rospect_ID=1183

One other thing...Houston partly made his reputation off of shutting down receivers like Dwayne Jarrett and Robert Meachem during his junior season. And coming out of college, that looked like some big time talent, but a year into both of their careers - they are struggling as well. He also performed well against Dwayne Bowe who did excel in his rookie year - so that still holds water.

Not saying Houston can't succeed...it was just interesting to hear our GM discuss CB's and point out one of our key draft picks from '07 big weakness.

For a rookie I liked what I saw. You can see his man-to-man skills are there. He plays tight to the WR and I didn't notice much separation when the ball get there. If he can learn some of the nuiances of the position and watching the WRs eyes and movement when the ball is in the air he'll be fine. I more worried about him in a zone D'!

i mean im sure the dude tries to go for INTs he just doesnt have the best hands. but his ball skills and stuff can improve. lets not forget he did get an INT in the preseason last year.......

even though it was against troy smith and the ravens :mellow:

you have to be able to track the ball in the air to pick it off, Houston has no clue where it is in flight at any given time.

And now that he has a head coach that actually puts an emphasis on defense, his game should continue to evolve.

And it will only help him to have a Hall-of-Famer (after this weekend) coaching him up!

Congrats Emmitt.

And now that he has a head coach that actually puts an emphasis on defense, his game should continue to evolve.

And it will only help him to have a Hall-of-Famer (after this weekend) coaching him up!

Congrats Emmitt.

Emmitt has been here for a good minute. Having him doesn't make much of a difference.

Hall sat down with our new coaching staff this offseason and told Mike Smith he did;t believe in the defensivce scheme we were implementing and did not want to play here anymore. He openly threatened to hold out of camp as well if we didn't make him the highest paid CB in the NFL when he couldn;t even make the Pro Bowl after getting burned so much last year.

When you weigh the situation, it is Hall's fault he is no longer here. If he were an unselfish, team player that really wanted to be a Falcon he would still be here.

i can see halls reasoning for wanting to leave. its just strange how they get the wrong franchise qb, the wrong coach, let decent players go and yet are expected to excel

Houston seems to have no desire to go for INT's, he never really turns his head on plays to look for the ball and I think it'll hurt him. He is just a physical CB.

Tell me if I'm wrong but I think someone noticed in one of Shineys camp photos that he was looking for the ball. Maybe hes progressing.