Ryan Gets Chance with First Team

atljbo

Ryan Gets Chance with First Team

Posted by J. Michael Moore, Today, 09:36 PM

Quarterback Matt Ryan ran with the first team offense for part of Wednesday's practice and led the group to a late touchdown.

Head Coach Mike Smith said the practice schedule allows for multiple quarterbacks to work with the first string during Russell Falcons Training Camp.

Wednesday was Ryan's day.

And he took advantage.

The third-overall pick in the 2008 NFL Draft needed just three plays during the final team period before he found Roddy White deep down the left side for a touchdown. He also led the offense in a goal line setting and pushed the team out from its own 3yard line.

In a two-minute drill, Ryan found White again for a touchdown. The play, which was the last of Wednesday's practice was highlight worthy for White, who plucked the ball from the air after it bounced off Chris Houston's helmet.

"We want to make sure guys are getting in different situations and I think you guys saw how we did it today," Smith said. "Chris (Redman) started one period, the next period was Joey (Harrington) and then it was Matt."

Ryan showed command of the pocket and made several types of throws. He even scrambled up the middle of the field for a few yards during the two-minute drill. He also demostrated a particularly strong connection with White.

"I'm starting to get a better feel with those guys," the rookie said of his receivers. "There's a number of guys I'm starting to get a good feel with. That's the beauty of camp..."

Smith said the team isn't close to making decisions about the quarterback competition.

"I don't know there's a set time in terms of what we're going to do as far as making a decision," the coach said. "I think the time frame can move and change based on how the players perform. We want to give everyone an opportunity to go out there and compete."

"who plucked the ball from the air after it bounced off Chris Houston's helmet."

wonder if Houston is still not turning his head to get the ball or if he was just a tad late and was just trying to defend the pass.

The pictures of camp that I saw the other day of him, he actually had his head turned around. Not sure about that one though.

Hah Roddy sounds like such a beast now, that since his breakout year he's become an unstoppable force... Reminds me of that article that stated that Roddy White was the best receiver in the NFL last year against premiere corners, that other top receivers only did good against mediocre and bad corners, but Roddy did good against all of them.

Ryan to White for 6 is going to be quite common soon enough... I'm so glad I chose to get a Roddy jersey his rookie year over Jenkins.

Matt Ryan is coming into the league with a number 1 WR.......... Roddy and Ryan can be a great combo for years...

Just think About it

QB:Matt Ryan

RB:Michael Turner and Jerious Norwood:

WR:Roddy White

WR:Laurent Robinson

Thats a explosive Offense....... We can have this for years to come......... If our O-Line can play above average..... We will be explosive

I remember a year and a half ago, everyone and Mother Teresa were SLAMMING Roddy White for his dropped balls. Then a year later, he's our #1 wide-receiver, my how things have changed.

Ryan is going to be a stud, he will do for the Falcons what Peyton Manning did for the Colts.

Matt Ryan is coming into the league with a number 1 WR.......... Roddy and Ryan can be a great combo for years...

Just think About it

QB:Matt Ryan

RB:Michael Turner and Jerious Norwood:

WR:Roddy White

WR:Laurent Robinson

Thats a explosive Offense....... We can have this for years to come......... If our O-Line can play above average..... We will be explosive

I have posted on this a couple of times.Turner,white and ryan could be a 3 headed beast.We need roddy to keep the defense more honest.The defense has the advantage early so I cant wait to see how the offense comes together by years end.

I remember a year and a half ago, everyone and Mother Teresa were SLAMMING Roddy White for his dropped balls. Then a year later, he's our #1 wide-receiver, my how things have changed.

Ryan is going to be a stud, he will do for the Falcons what Peyton Manning did for the Colts.

We can only hope Ryan is that good...I can't wait to see him field general and be cerebral enough to call plays at the line and all that fancy pre-snap jazz...

**** that article has me fired up for football to start. I cant wait to see the Ryan to White combo in action.

i was just about to post the exact same thing. that will be a sick combo and it seems like they are really getting in sync with eachother. hope we get to see them hook up a couple of times in preseason.

I'm definitely stoked about our current situation. On one hand we have a rookie who wants to be the best at everything, and on the other we have a guy who will do anything to not have to sell insurance again that has proved he can be competitive in the pros. Competition brings out the best in people. This should be an interesting year. I think we'll surprise a few people this year.

I was among the many whom did not want Ryan to come to Atlanta, but the more I hear from players, coaches, and the media the more I feel like this was most definitely the right way to go. He's not only physically gifted to play QB, but the guy has his head screwed on straight. He's not going to rush for a thousand yards, but I think he'll be able to pick apart defenses like he's stealing candy from a baby. This is all speculation at this point, but even if he's have as smart and gifted as everyone is saying he is, then I'm glad to have him on my side.

This is getting me all excited for the season to start! Only a few more days until pre-season starts, which is good enough for me at this point. I've been starved of football for too long. Hopefully Ryan comes out and lights it up during the pre-season.

"who plucked the ball from the air after it bounced off Chris Houston's helmet."

wonder if Houston is still not turning his head to get the ball or if he was just a tad late and was just trying to defend the pass.

I was thinking the same thing. But, at least Roddy is beasting out there.

That is such great news. We may finally have our first legit 1-2 combo at flanker since Martin and Mathis in '98.

Hah Roddy sounds like such a beast now, that since his breakout year he's become an unstoppable force... Reminds me of that article that stated that Roddy White was the best receiver in the NFL last year against premiere corners, that other top receivers only did good against mediocre and bad corners, but Roddy did good against all of them.

Ryan to White for 6 is going to be quite common soon enough... I'm so glad I chose to get a Roddy jersey his rookie year over Jenkins.

Yeah, I remember reading that too...someone should repost if they can locate it. A pretty impressive stat or category.

I'll admit that I dogged him out rotten...but all the while, I kept in mind that he kept getting open.

The guy was dropping passes, but he was always open. That's how I knew he had talent, it's just that we had a former offensive lineman as his WR coach.

He made me, and I'm sure his teammates, quite frustrated; but I never wanted him gone. I kept buying into the "3-year rule" for wideouts...and sure enough, in his third year, his breakout came.

Now, it's no telling how good he can become. Someone mentioned it earlier: Ryan, Turner/Norwood, White and Robinson looks very promising and explosive. All that's needed is a formidable O-line.