What is up with this guy Grimes

kdkane79

I read where one of our players said he was one of the best athelets he has ever played with. Then why in the **** is he not talked about alot and why haven't I seen or heard much about him. Just curious.

What has he done and where or when did we get him.

I hope he turns out to be a bad a-double-s. Anyone have some info on him(games he has played in, when did we get him, etc).

Thanks

second year player out of a small school.

he was on our squad partially last year. I remember him in camp, nothing spectactular. however, due to injury to hutchins, he's stepped into the start role opposite of houston...

here is his bio

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brent_Grimes

Actually, Hutchins was going to play nickel corner, grimes has been the number 1 corner since mini camp. Vons injury means that Jackson, Irons, will harris and the other rookie will compete for the nickel spot

Some other info on Grimes:

Draft Scout Brent Grimes News

03/19/08 - CB Brent Grimes, an undrafted rookie free agent in 2006, could be in the mix to compete for a starting job opposite Chris Houston now that DeAngelo Hall is headed to Oakland.

12/21/07 - CB Brent Grimes, who the coaching staff has wanted to get on the field for weeks, will play in nickel and dime sets. Grimes is a small-college product who spent the summer playing in NFL Europa. Joe Whitt Jr., the Falcons assistant secondary coach, said Grimes has the second best ball skills on the team with DeAngelo Hall having the best.

12/19/07 - DB Brent Grimes, an undrafted second-year player, will get some playing time at cornerback. He is an incredibly gifted player who has been beset by injuries. Grimes arguably has the best coverage skills among the corners besides DeAngelo Hall, but he's been kept on the practice squad because of his inability to stay healthy.

Also, he was listed at 5'9" and 177 lbs coming out of college, a little small, and he ran a 4.55/40, so he wasn't a burner either coming out. That's why he went undrafted. He is very athletic though and plays a physical game.

Went to a small school and signed as an UDFA with us. Played in NFL Europe where he was one of the best CB's. Won the World Bowl (w/e it's called) and made a crucial INT in the game. Didn't get much playing time with us because of injuries so he was a practice squad guy.

Our previous coaches said good things about him and Mike Smith and company say even better things. He's a great athlete and can cover good. Played in the game against Arizona last season and finished with 11 tackles. Had great coverage but was thrown to a lot as he was covering 2 Pro-Bowl WR's in Fitzgerald and Boldin.

He could be a great player and replace D-Hall, without the distractions cuz he's a great guy.

Grimes is small, and looks really small in person. But in the last 3 games of last season, Coach Emmitt Thomas talked favorably about Grimes, and said he wanted to get him on the field more. Thomas' opinion is one that I would heed. Now, Coach Smith and Co. seem to agree. The ones who didn't see it were the members of the Petrino Traveling Circus :lol: . I would be concerned with Brent covering Calvin Johnson on an ally oop jump ball into the endzone. Beyond that, if he's got the goods, put him out there!!

he impressed people by having a lot of tackles in that game against the cardinals last season. no one should get there hopes up on this guy until we see him in real game mode against another team.

Careful, people may flame you for this.

Usually when a corner leads the team in tackles for a game it's a bad thing.

However for some reason people seemed to love this with him.

I would be concerned with Brent covering Calvin Johnson on an ally oop jump ball into the endzone. Beyond that, if he's got the goods, put him out there!!

Oh now that's a terrible thought. Be as great a CB athlete as you want to be but you still can't overcome that sort of size difference. If the QB throws a good ball that's undefensable for Grimes.

I am anxious to see him get some work in the pre-season because he's being super hyped right now.

More than Sunshine in fact.

Careful, people may flame you for this.

Usually when a corner leads the team in tackles for a game it's a bad thing.

However for some reason people seemed to love this with him.

Good point. It's a good example of stats being misleading. A corner can have a great year and only have one or two INT's but that's because nobody throws at him.

A corner could have more interceptions and really have a year that hurts him team because opposing teams aren't afraid to throw at him.

You must have missed his coverage, hater. <_<

No, I watched the entire game and saw how the Cardinals were able to walk down the field and win the game when they needed to win it.

Guess who was the main guy making the tackles?

Here's something to think about.

If you're a corner and you're leading the team in tackles... that means the other team is throwing in your direction... a lot.... which means they're targeting you/throwing right at you because they're not worried about you.

And about his height..... do you remember when Allen Rossum tried to cover Terry Glenn and they just started throwing jump balls?

No, I watched the entire game and saw how the Cardinals were able to walk down the field and win the game when they needed to win it.

If you're a corner and you're leading the team in tackles... that means the other team is throwing in your direction... a lot.... which means they're targeting you/throwing right at you because they're not worried about you.

And about his height..... do you remember when Allen Rossum tried to cover Terry Glenn and they just started throwing jump balls?

Making tackles doesn't just mean that they were throwing at him. CB's are the last line of defense so it could meant that the 1st and second level players aren't taking good routes to the ball and aren't wrapping up.

Either way you are right when you say that you don't want your CB making alot of tackles.

Umm when you have D-Hall on one side and Grimes on the other side lined up on a Pro-Bowl WR, who would you throw to? Also a couple of his tackles were on run plays and others were on players he wasn't responsible for covering. He had great coverage against the WR's, but they made some great catches with Grimes all over them. I recall Boldin brought in this one-handed diving grab.

I was out at Flowery Branch today and saw Grimes #20, when they were doing WR vs DB, he shut down almost everyone he went against and had some nice interceptions. So I was doing double takes the whole time like "who the **** is that"!! And it was Grimes, he has great timing for the ball and seems like he knew what the WR was running every time.

I was out at Flowery Branch today and saw Grimes #20, when they were doing WR vs DB, he shut down almost everyone he went against and had some nice interceptions. So I was doing double takes the whole time like "who the **** is that"!! And it was Grimes, he has great timing for the ball and seems like he knew what the WR was running every time.

Good to hear :D