Patrick Kerney's Body Breaking Down?

nuccah

Seahawks | Kerney out indefinitely

Tue, 29 Jul 2008 10:52:25 -0700

The Associated Press reports Seattle Seahawks DL Patrick Kerney (shoulder, calf) injured his calf at training camp. Kerney was already recovering from shoulder surgery and head coach Mike Holmgren said Kerney would be out indefinitely until he heals.

We all remember the problems Kerney had staying healthy the last two years he was here... is it all finally catching up to him? His body isn't meant to carry the weight he's carried since hes been in the NFL, and the Seahawks may be stuck with dead weight soon with his contract.

The Associated Press reports Seattle Seahawks DL Patrick Kerney (shoulder, calf) injured his calf at training camp. Kerney was already recovering from shoulder surgery and head coach Mike Holmgren said Kerney would be out indefinitely until he heals.

We all remember the problems Kerney had staying healthy the last two years he was here... is it all finally catching up to him? His body isn't meant to carry the weight he's carried since hes been in the NFL, and the Seahawks may be stuck with dead weight soon with his contract.

maybe, maybe not B)

What a joke his body is breaking down. And who did we have last year with good body's that had 14.5 sacks he has health problems Mr J. Abraham was healthy last year and what did he do. Granted he didn't want to play here anymore but don't try and knock him because he his having a few problems lets see how he ends up .

What a joke his body is breaking down. And who did we have last year with good body's that had 14.5 sacks he has health problems Mr J. Abraham was healthy last year and what did he do. Granted he didn't want to play here anymore but don't try and knock him because he his having a few problems lets see how he ends up .

To be fair, Abraham had ten sacks with no help from anyone on the line. Kerney had 14.5 sacks with quality players at the other three line positions.

Kerney obviously is a good player, but don't take anything away from Abraham. His ten sacks are probably more impressive under the circumstances, considering what he had to work with.

Direwolf

To be fair, Abraham had ten sacks with no help from anyone on the line. Kerney had 14.5 sacks with quality players at the other three line positions.

Kerney obviously is a good player, but don't take anything away from Abraham. His ten sacks are probably more impressive under the circumstances, considering what he had to work with.

Direwolf

I was going to make the same point. 10 sack and just staying healthy are quite a success for Abraham. Especially when you take into account that the only other real threat we had on defense last year was Boley.

I don't think anyone is questioning PK skill or value it just seems like he frequently has very serious injuries that could be due to his workout routine and what should be his natural body type. I think PK may be pushing his body too hard which may be the reason for all of these major injuries.

Yep Abraham had 10 sacks but to say he did it with less around him is like saying he was the only good player we had on D we ha talent maybe not like Seattle but The point is Kerneyhad a great year and just because he has a few little problems now don't jump on him about is body breaking down. Wait till end of year and see what happens.

OK, let me clarify for those who can't seem to remember past what they had for breakfast or maybe it is because some just started watching football 2 years ago. Kerney had not missed a game since he started in 1999 until he injured his pec muscle (not bicep) from working out which was his last year here in 2006. He recovered from that inury and had a phenomenal year with the Seahawks playing in all 16 games. He is far from being one of the oldest DE's in the league. Michael Strahan just retired and will soon be 37.

While I appreciate the silver lining for a deal already done in the past, I am amazed at how many posters don't have a clue about him. :blink:

OK, let me clarify for those who can't seem to remember past what they had for breakfast or maybe it is because some just started watching football 2 years ago. Kerney had not missed a game since he started in 1999 until he injured his pec muscle (not bicep) from working out which was his last year here in 2006. He recovered from that inury and had a phenomenal year with the Seahawks playing in all 16 games. He is far from being one of the oldest DE's in the league. Michael Strahan just retired and will soon be 37.

While I appreciate the silver lining for a deal already done in the past, I am amazed at how many posters don't have a clue about him. :blink:

Wow talk about a harsh post considering that most of the posts in this thread show we like PK still and are concerned about him. This is a direct quote from the USA Today:

KIRKLAND, Wash. — Patrick Kerney was already coming off shoulder surgery. Then, as he was beginning to ease into Seahawks training camp last weekend, he injured his calf.

The Pro Bowl defensive end will be out indefinitely, to "shut him down and let him heal," Seattle coach Mike Holmgren said Monday.

In your post you missed the part about PK having shoulder surgery (so you might want to take back one of those stones you just threw about people not knowing what they're talking about) and now with this calf injury the team has decided to shut him down INDEFINITELY, which means this calf injury isn't a small injury. The guy is in great shape and much like a compressed spring the odds of a muscle bound man breaking down are far greater then someone like Strahan. The human body can only take so much and it seems like PK's might be rebelling against him to a degree right now.

Yep Abraham had 10 sacks but to say he did it with less around him is like saying he was the only good player we had on D we ha talent maybe not like Seattle but The point is Kerneyhad a great year and just because he has a few little problems now don't jump on him about is body breaking down. Wait till end of year and see what happens.

What talent did we have on the line to support him?

Coleman - Hurt all year

Jackson - Cut mid-season for no discernable reason

Anderson - rookie and apparently misused by our coaching staff

Lewis - rookie and ended up on IR

Stanley - career backup

Babineaux - quality depth, but that's about it

Am I missing anyone?

I never made any comments about Kerney's health or performance. I merely suggested that you not sell Abraham short. After all, you were the one who asked what he did last season. Well, he had ten sacks! Not overwhelming, but very respectable under the circumstances.

Direwolf

Wow talk about a harsh post considering that most of the posts in this thread show we like PK still and are concerned about him. This is a direct quote from the USA Today:

In your post you missed the part about PK having shoulder surgery (so you might want to take back one of those stones you just threw about people not knowing what they're talking about) and now with this calf injury the team has decided to shut him down INDEFINITELY, which means this calf injury isn't a small injury. The guy is in great shape and much like a compressed spring the odds of a muscle bound man breaking down are far greater then someone like Strahan. The human body can only take so much and it seems like PK's might be rebelling against him to a degree right now.

I apologize to anyone who was offended and did not mean to refer to most of the posters. I read a little bit into this from days of old when Kerney was first injured as a Falcon and many started referring to him as injury prone. At the time that was the equivalent of saying Vick was not a mobile QB. Anyway, the original poster said he has been hurt the last two years. I guess it is a matter of interpretation but he played every game last year. A second poster also referred to him as his body breaking down before he even left the Falcons because of his first major injury.

Sorry I guess I put way too much zip on my comments but I don't consider a player's body breaking down or deserving of the title of injury prone which is the assumption here until they have had two consecutive seasons with injuries.

If you play football you will get injured.Not a big deal.He has had a good career.I see him doing well.